Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have never owned a vehicle with it so I can live without it. I really like the idea but the integration on the Bronco just looks like shit. If it can be put in the fuel door and its not a huge price tag to sync with a vehicle after the fact I will do it. Definitely will let others experiment first though..
My plan is to wait until I take delivery and then buy it over the counter. It will run about the same price and configuring it to the car should take very little time at all. If I'm nice and do it while also getting some other service, I imagine they may even do it for "free".

I'm going to ask them *not* to affix it, and I'll experiment with where I want to put it. I'm thinking either fuel door or maybe hiding it on the rear gate behind the spare tire.
Sponsored

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I ordered it - I'll get the app as well but with apps with cars i have always found it a little annoying to wait for the app to work- also i don't always have my phone on me - for $110 i like being able to walk right up to the car or tell my kids the code to the car and just punch it in

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the fuel door mounting idea. If I order it through the parts dept and add it myself, does it require dealer programming to activate? If it does require dealer activation (like adding a new key fob), then that greatly increases the "DIY" price.
You can program it yourself AFAIK. I’ve had one on my last 5 Fords, two of which I installed and programmed them myself.

I regularly use it on my 2019 F150 Lariat Sport with the keys locked inside, just set in the door. Note the F150 keypad is built into the B-pillar so I didn’t install this one.

For me the keypad is invaluable as I do a lot of wilderness adventures with groups and it’s important to have the keys available to everyone in the event of an emergency. The fob stays in the truck and everyone knows the door code so they can get in the truck and run it. That’s the value IMO.

As for the Bronco, I will save half the cost of the keypad by ordering it from the parts counter and installing it myself. I’ll find a good spot to mount it if I decide I don’t like it on the driver’s door.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can program it yourself AFAIK. I’ve had one on my last 5 Fords, two of which I installed and programmed them myself.

I regularly use it on my 2019 F150 Lariat Sport with the keys locked inside, just set in the door. Note the F150 keypad is built into the B-pillar so I didn’t install this one.

For me the keypad is invaluable as I do a lot of wilderness adventures with groups and it’s important to have the keys available to everyone in the event of an emergency. The fob stays in the truck and everyone knows the door code so they can get in the truck and run it. That’s the value IMO.

As for the Bronco, I will save half the cost of the keypad by ordering it from the parts counter and installing it myself. I’ll find a good spot to mount it if I decide I don’t like it on the driver’s door.
This was looked into and it seemed that the latest models (ranger, particularly) requires the Ford computer thing... it’s no longer possible to do the ignition/button press trick.

But we dont actually know yet.

Sponsored

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like the fuel door mounting idea. If I order it through the parts dept and add it myself, does it require dealer programming to activate? If it does require dealer activation (like adding a new key fob), then that greatly increases the "DIY" price.
If it's the stick-on type of keypad the vehicle module see's it as another Fob, and get's programed in a similar way. At least this was true 10 years ago when I last worked on one.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For mountain biking, paddle boarding, playing at the beach or lake, I don't want to take my keys with me. Locking them in the car, and using keyless entry makes the most sense. Losing a key fob in the lake and a locksmith will cost way more than $110, so it was an easy decision.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This was looked into and it seemed that the latest models (ranger, particularly) requires the Ford computer thing... it’s no longer possible to do the ignition/button press trick.

But we dont actually know yet.
Interesting, thanks.

<edit - sorry, I must’ve been typing my response the same time you were, since we are saying essentially the same thing. Apologies.>

Considering you can start the truck with the hidey metal key which lives in your fob in the even of a battery failure, I wonder if the door lock control is a separate circuit or chipset within the fob itself. Given that you can open the door with the keypad without having your fob suggests it is. In that case, configuring the keypad to pair with the door mechanism could be independent of the pushbutton/contactless ignition system. But as you say, we need to find out.

Last edited:

fastone

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak, 2013 F-150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I added a Ford brake controller to my F-150 then found out that it required dealer programming. Cost me $95 for them to do it. So the factory price may be worth it. YMMV.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting, thanks.

Considering you can start the truck with the hidey metal key which lives in your fob in the even of a battery failure, I wonder if the door lock control is a separate circuit or chipset within the fob itself. Given that you can open the door with the keypad without having your fob suggests it is. In that case, configuring the keypad to pair with the door mechanism could be independent of the pushbutton/contactless ignition system. But as you say, we need to find out.
Yeah. I think the two things at play are the proximity RFID for intelligent access and keyless start... and also the more traditional RF transmitter included in a wireless key fob.

The wireless keypad works as the latter. Instead of an “unlock” button... it waits to receive the proper pin and then sends the unlock command.

I watched some YouTube video on a guying showing the pairing procedure for the keypad on a new Ranger. He had to enter in the serial number/hex/MAC address thing for the fob into the car’s computer.

There is no “learn” feature built into the vehicle any longer to do it in the driveway.

Sponsored

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s a $100. WTF cares. Get it, don’t like it, rip it off.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So as it gets closer to finalize my order, I've been thinking about adding the keyless entry pad ($110). Is it worth adding to the Bronco at all? My dealer says that all Bronco models will be compatible with the Ford-Pass app that can lock and unlock doors, and use Remote start from the App (I have reservations for FE and BD). Is it worth having that little black bar on the door? And how many people will actually add this option? Thanks! I can't wait to place my order!
I have one on my F150 and I use it all the time....already have it ordered on the Bronco too. Lets say you are working outside, you don't have keys or phone on you, need something in vehicle, punch in the code and you are in!

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

There is no “learn” feature built into the vehicle any longer to do it in the driveway.
In that case, I’ll do like you suggest and get the stealer to pair it. I’ll still mount it myself.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base