SoCalG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With the Plug N Play kit and the 200.4 Kicker amp install, do you need to run a separate power cable to the battery or does it pull power from the harness\head unit?
Sponsored

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
With the Plug N Play kit and the 200.4 Kicker amp install, do you need to run a separate power cable to the battery or does it pull power from the harness\head unit?
You do not need to run separate power for the Key200.4. It draws from the power from your factory harness.

kbBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2019 Honda Rebel 300
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Kit 11-4 work for tying more power to my front 4” and back JBL speakers while prepping for a sub?

ldog77

Outer Banks
First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX; 2018 Chrysler Pacifica
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Noob question here: I purchased Kit 16. Do I need to run a power cable from the powered sub to the battery, or does it draw power from the harness that's attached to the Kicker Key and the back to the head unit?

Lobber

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Noob question here: I purchased Kit 16. Do I need to run a power cable from the powered sub to the battery, or does it draw power from the harness that's attached to the Kicker Key and the back to the head unit?
You need to run a power cable and the power cable comes in the kit.

Sponsored

plugnplaykits

Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
All powered subs must have power connected to the battery and grounded

Brock9281

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm running Hertz dcx100.3 in the dash and Polk DB402 in the rear. The Hertz up front are notably better than stock, but as i mentioned, the stock head unit starts clipping so badly at even moderate volume levels it's still not great.

And everything sounds like crap in the rear IMHO regardless of what drivers are used and what Forscan tweaks are made... But improved drivers like the Polks are a little less crappy.
How do you like the Hertz?

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What should the volume on the stereo head unit be at during pink noise?

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What should the volume on the stereo head unit be at during pink noise?
And don't try to play the pink noise through your phone, I found out the hard way.

Sponsored

22BlackDiamondGreen

Black Diamond
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford 150 1955 Ford F100
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How did you do the pink noise
USB stick. I tried the phone 3 times and it failed each time. Finally put the mp3 file on a USB stick and ran it from there, worked the 1st time. Found out later that the phone is not recommended.

Tamarak

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wanted to post an update on my build as reading these threads has helped a ton so passing this on for others for help and inspiration.

I completed today the install of a kicker key 200.1 with PlugNPlay kit 11 with the added subwoofer to RCA plugs. I used the Kicker 800 amp with Kicker 48TRTP122 down firing sub. I went with this down firing sub so I could stack things on top. I also wanted keep the sound in a bit more with the top off. Fear not about downfiring on base output, this thing hits hard..

I bought the KnuKonceptz 4 gauge amp installation kit as well as a kicker bass control knob. 4 gauge was the recommendation on the 800 amp. After reading many wiring posts from Reddit and other places I chose this as it was as high quality as kits from Crutchfield that were almost 2x as much. I did my own home theatre and I know better than to cheap out on cable. Maybe wiring kits were barely a thought for others, but I didn’t know much about this as it relates to amps so I researched quite a bit.

Cost wise I’m in for about $1400 total between the PlugNPlay harness with sub and RCA, two amps, the sub, the amp installation kit and bass control knob and 6 Kicker KS speakers with boom mats and harnesses. The local car audio shop wanted $1k just for the speakers and the kicker 200 amp. I’d bet they’d have got me for $3k for this setup otherwise.

The sound is outstanding now. I had the Alpine system in my Wrangler before and this system kicks the crap out of that. It’s been cool to hear the difference with each piece of equipment as I did this over 3 different steps. First speakers, then speaker amps, then sub.

I am basically new to car audio and using this thread and the original videos plus a few key posts and I got it done solo in about 5 hours. I mounted the amp above the glove box vs under the steering wheel as I wanted to run the power for the sub down the driver side and also maximize how much RCA cable I had/ not have it next to the power.

Special thanks to @Thicky_Vicky for her post on page 20 as I was really struggling to find a good spot for the sub amp. I know the spot under the carpet in the back isn’t for everyone, but I won’t be getting rained on and it’s a cubby that would never have been used. For the record it sits in really nicely and does not rattle. I’ll clean up the cabling in the pic below at some point, but I didn’t want to trim it and lose options in the future. I’m not 100% committed to the amp location and will consider going where the factory one is in the future should I see a post that isn’t as involved as @cmcbronco (though I’m jealous of his skills).

The video below was also very helpful, particularly because @evilletruck shows how to get the control panel off where the head unit wiring is without it being scary as hell. He shows the spot to punch through the firewall. He also explores behind all the paneling in the rear which was useful in ruling out places and giving me future ideas. I’d recommend this in addition to the original post.

Ford Bronco Kicker Key Amp 200.4 Install DIY Video - Do this first! 1229AD47-D238-4E80-A298-6F58FD6F0D9E

Ford Bronco Kicker Key Amp 200.4 Install DIY Video - Do this first! D0AAD5AB-E9A5-4BD4-B599-1170A7DC7423

KeithK

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I installed a Kicker Key 200.4 amp in my BaseSquatch today and it made a HUGE difference. It was a straight forward install that took about an hour and a half. The install was made easy because of the harness from plugnplaykits.com. There was no need to cut, splice or drill anything. As you will see in the video below, it litterally was a plug and play operation.

The Kicker Key amp has a build-in automatic DSP that fixes Ford's terrible signal as well as adding 50 watts per channel. The combination is amazing. I have a nice 3 way component speaker set waiting to install in the front and now I'm not even sure I will bother. That is just how big of improvement this is.

I have suspected that Ford is intentionally degrading the sound quality of the base system in an effort to get customers to upgrade to the B&O. These amp and more importantly the smart DSP that is integrated in it really brings the entire stereo to life. Spend you money on this before you spend it on speakers. Good speakers can't fix low power and poor signal.

I put together a quick installation video but wasn't able to show the self tuning step because I needed my phone to play the kicker pink noise DSP turning track. If you want to see that step other installation videos show you how to do that.

Edit: the harness and amp are "Kit 11". Here is the direct link to the bronco kits.
https://plugnplaykits.com/products/...y-audio-harnesses-kits?variant=41130698473662

What did you use to play the pink noise? A USB connection with a memory stick or through your phone? I keep getting error 4 with my set up. Thanks.

KeithK

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

USB stick. I tried the phone 3 times and it failed each time. Finally put the mp3 file on a USB stick and ran it from there, worked the 1st time. Found out later that the phone is not recommended.
Did you have the radio on when you did the pink noise and at what level was it at? I've tried the USB stick multiple times and still get the sad music and 4 beeps (pink noise and audio level error.) Thanks.
Sponsored