Reaction score
Website
www.dangerfoot.com
Vehicle(s)
White Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OK Gents, love my PnP/kicker setup but running into limiters b/c the amp cannot pull enough power through the OEM harness. Anyone else facing this? I figure I just need to cut a wire and replace with battery power OR make a little adapter harness.
FWIW - ran the DSP at about 20, gains on 200.4 all the way down, xover at 80hz iirc. Need to add some bass blockers to the dash.
Sponsored

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I installed ours last night. Front channels only, bi amped. Mine is run with a power wire to the battery and using a factory ground under the hood. Once I realized I needed to fade forward so the stupid rears wouldn’t ruin the test the auto setup ran perfect.

fyi to anyone running bi amp with just the front inputs, you’ll only hear amp 1 which is the dash until you run setup. It had me worried but it figured everything out during the process.

Chirico

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bicycle
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Two questions:

1.) Which 4 wires on the Plug N Play harness just before it enters the Kicker Key 200.4 do I need to tap into for left/right signal to a powered sub?
2.) For a 15A powered sub (JBL BassPro Nano), can I power that from one of the 15A AUX switch wires, or do I need to run power straight to the battery? Just trying to make it a bit easier and cleaner with one of my unused AUX switches.

Thank You
1) I couldn't take any pictures, but this is what I did.
I ASSUMED that top is (+) and bottom is (-) since I couldn't find any information either from Kicker or PNP.
But it is a sub with 'Phase' button, so I didn't worry too much about reversing them? (Please correct me if I am totally wrong on it)

2) Sorry, I am not either knowledgeable or experienced enough to answer this.

Inkedkey input.jpg

83XLT

Big Bend
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 EG Big Bend 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just a thought. I assume you are using your phone to play the white noise and also the music. does your phone have some kind of audio effects automatically enabled? I'm an android guy and can tell you that some brands (Oneplus and Motorola for example) have some "enhanced" audio enabled by default that sounded great on my earbuds but introduced a lot of distortion on my head unit on a previous car. just a thought. good luck

Sponsored

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As long as you're uniform it doesn't matter, if you have one side swapped you'll be running the speakers in opposite directions and basically cancelling them out.

The black line wire is always the negative.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I could use some input. I installed my Key 200.4 tonight with PnP harness. Everything went mostly smoothly. I also have Kicker CS series 4" in the dash (w/ 300 hz bass blockers) and CS series 6.75" in the kick panels.

I'm running into some clipping from the dash speakers (possibly others but only noticed it with those). I ran the DSP with the treble/mids/bass all the way down. Pink noise was through the head unit using my phone's Bluetooth. Got happy chimes and improvement. I saw someone previously said to put those where you want them before running the DSP. I noticed the amp reset it to all in the middle once I plugged it in and tested it, initially. Should I have left it in the center? I'm wondering if maybe that was the issue, or maybe I didn't have Pink noise loud enough. My gains are all at 0, didn't touch those as I didn't want loud chimes. I can play with it more tomorrow.

Clipping is happening at volume 13-15ish depending on song, with the sound settings bumped to around midway. Not that loud.

Bearcat1

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition Limited, 2006 BMW 330i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Try downloading the test tone file to a USB thumb drive annd plug in and play on head unit rather than over bluetooth.

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Quick question on this: The harness is described as totally plug and play. Do you have to run a 20A power line from the amp to the battery or does the harness address the power? If the harness handles the power, is it 20A? I don't know a ton about stereos but I was told the Kicker requires 20A of power and that typically factory radios are 10-15A. So if the harness does not support 20A is it underpowering the amp? I would love to do this install without having to do any wiring beyond connecting the harness. I hope my question makes sense. The video shows nothing about running a power line. Thanks all!

Lurker B6G

Outer Banks
First Name
Murph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You make an excellent point. I will be running to the battery, but I am running a subwoofer, so this has to be done anyway. Here's what I know:

The guy who makes the PnP harnesses feels that the harness can supply enough power to run the Key 200.

Having said that, my guess (just like yours) is that based on the tapping point and the size of the wire, the harness is likey not going to provide the full 20 amps at 13+ volts.

Having said that, I would guess that if you were driving very sensitive speakers (90+ dB) such as the Infinity Reference (on sale at Crutchfield now), you will be able to get away with the harness power supply because very high volume levels can be acheived driven at nearly stock factory levels. However, if you are planning on driving lower sensitivity speakers (90- dB), I would not rely on the PnP harness power supply, and would head straight to a battery tap.

Other harness suppliers do not include the built-in power tap for the very reason that you state, and have said that the PnP guy is wrong.

Having said that, if I were attempting an "easy upgrade", I would most definently:
1) Replace the dash with Infinity's plus a bass blocker (around 300hz)
2)Keep the kick panel speakers (too much work for the reward)
3) Replace the rear pods with Infinity's (no bass blocker)
4) Use the PnP harness* and Key 200 (no seperate power run)

This is a HUGE upgrade for very minimal effort or cost (currently about $590 plus tax). Use the Key to balance out the set-up, and enjoy your genius.

*Having said that, I would STRONGLY encourage anyone doing this to consider spending the extra $45 on the harness with the subwoofer front channel high level "take-offs" (i.e. 11-4). You can use this harness with the above plan and just ensure that the four loose ends are insulated and tie it up under the dash. Then when you inevitabley decide that you want to take the next step, you just need to tap the battery with an 8ga wire, run it back, connect the sub harness to a mono amp of your choice or a powered sub and bingo, all done.

Having said all that - I sure like to say "having said that".

Sponsored

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You make an excellent point. I will be running to the battery, but I am running a subwoofer, so this has to be done anyway. Here's what I know:

The guy who makes the PnP harnesses feels that the harness can supply enough power to run the Key 200.

Having said that, my guess (just like yours) is that based on the tapping point and the size of the wire, the harness is likey not going to provide the full 20 amps at 13+ volts.

Having said that, I would guess that if you were driving very sensitive speakers (90+ dB) such as the Infinity Reference (on sale at Crutchfield now), you will be able to get away with the harness power supply because very high volume levels can be acheived driven at nearly stock factory levels. However, if you are planning on driving lower sensitivity speakers (90- dB), I would not rely on the PnP harness power supply, and would head straight to a battery tap.

Other harness suppliers do not include the built-in power tap for the very reason that you state, and have said that the PnP guy is wrong.

Having said that, if I were attempting an "easy upgrade", I would most definently:
1) Replace the dash with Infinity's plus a bass blocker (around 300hz)
2)Keep the kick panel speakers (too much work for the reward)
3) Replace the rear pods with Infinity's (no bass blocker)
4) Use the PnP harness* and Key 200 (no seperate power run)

This is a HUGE upgrade for very minimal effort or cost (currently about $590 plus tax). Use the Key to balance out the set-up, and enjoy your genius.

*Having said that, I would STRONGLY encourage anyone doing this to consider spending the extra $45 on the harness with the subwoofer front channel high level "take-offs" (i.e. 11-4). You can use this harness with the above plan and just ensure that the four loose ends are insulated and tie it up under the dash. Then when you inevitabley decide that you want to take the next step, you just need to tap the battery with an 8ga wire, run it back, connect the sub harness to a mono amp of your choice or a powered sub and bingo, all done.

Having said all that - I sure like to say "having said that".
Really helpful...thanks. I put JL Audio C1-400x front and back about 8 months ago, with 300MHZ bass blockers in the front. So My guess is I can just go the plug and play route and be good to go. I don't plan on adding a sub, and I don't need super large volume of sound like I desired in my 20's ;o). I think I will try the factory harness and see how it goes. Thanks Again

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You guys running the 4 speakers up front realize you're either running the amp at 2 or 8 ohms, neither of which is ideal, right?

I'm not sure how the factory wiring is set up (parallel or series) but either way presents some issues:

2 ohm- you're running under the amps rated ohm load, it *should* make more power (basically double) but since it's not designed for it, more heat, more distortion, potential failure
8 ohm- you're running double the amps rated load and probably getting half the output, this is generally "safe" but you're going to have to turn it up to get decent volume, at which, you will clip the output of the head unit and introduce distortion.

I've already ran separate wires to my dash so I can't ohm it out and tell you what it's set at from factory and the wiring diagram is a bit vague.

Adding a passive crossover would make the system 4 ohms again as the drivers will split the duty and not have much of a band where they're playing the same frequencies. Just adding a coil to the woofer would make this happen if you already have a cap on the mid in the dash.

An example crossed over at 450hz

Screenshot 2022-11-17 134026.jpg

Last edited:

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Having the Kicker Key and Kicker Hideaway both installed. I currently have the High pass filter on the Key set to off. Would it be beneficial to turn it to say 80 hz and put my Hideaway low pass filter also at 80 hz (as someone mentioned previously in the thread). I wasn't sure how this would work with the Hideaway running of the kick panel signal?

Install was easy (other than sore fingers from all the panels) but I'm struggling with selecting the ideal configuration... if anyone has some recommendations.

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you put the highpass on then your sub is going to be limited, so don't do that.

You could go back into your harness and pull the input before the key and then do the 80hz highpass.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you put the highpass on then your sub is going to be limited, so don't do that.

You could go back into your harness and pull the input before the key and then do the 80hz highpass.
Ok that's what I thought, thank you for confirming. I saw someone mentioned that previously in the thread so I started second guessing myself.
Sponsored