First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Question - did y’all disconnect the negative terminal when installing the harness/amp?
Sponsored

BBSas

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I ran direct to battery with an inline fuse so I didn’t. I had the fuse out until totally finished installing and running wires and hooked to battery.
Now, gotta work on the dsp auto adjustments. I need to redo with all gains (which I guess is bass/treble down).

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So, question about running DSP with all factory tone controls at their minimum - does that mean you're effectively locked out of tone adjustment after the fact?

I ask because while I do listen to a lot of music, when I listen to podcasts I often find I have to strip bass almost entirely out of the equation. Wondering if I could instead run the DSP with tone controls at their 'neutral' setting to allow me to cut bass when desired.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

Aurongel

Outer Banks
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Many months later and I still experience clipping at volumes of 17 or higher with all Kicker 6 speakers and the 200.4 with P&P harness. Very disappointed with the performance considering the effort it took to get everything set up.

This has been the only Bronco project of mine I’ve had this much trouble with.

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Many months later and I still experience clipping at volumes of 17 or higher with all Kicker 6 speakers and the 200.4 with P&P harness. Very disappointed with the performance considering the effort it took to get everything set up.

This has been the only Bronco project of mine I’ve had this much trouble with.
Have you called Kicker to discuss? If you have not done the following, I’d suggest turning the amplifier gain knobs all the way down and ensure that the radio detect button is in the off position. The on position is flush with the surface of the amp and in the off position the button is below the surface. Not sure what ohm load the amp is seeing with six speakers and how you have it wired but it must see at least four ohms minimum impedance per channel. I’m running six speakers but my front channel is a component set run through a crossover and the amp is seeing four ohms.

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I installed a Kicker Key 200.4 amp in my BaseSquatch today and it made a HUGE difference. It was a straight forward install that took about an hour and a half. The install was made easy because of the harness from plugnplaykits.com. There was no need to cut, splice or drill anything. As you will see in the video below, it litterally was a plug and play operation.

The Kicker Key amp has a build-in automatic DSP that fixes Ford's terrible signal as well as adding 50 watts per channel. The combination is amazing. I have a nice 3 way component speaker set waiting to install in the front and now I'm not even sure I will bother. That is just how big of improvement this is.

I have suspected that Ford is intentionally degrading the sound quality of the base system in an effort to get customers to upgrade to the B&O. These amp and more importantly the smart DSP that is integrated in it really brings the entire stereo to life. Spend you money on this before you spend it on speakers. Good speakers can't fix low power and poor signal.

I put together a quick installation video but wasn't able to show the self tuning step because I needed my phone to play the kicker pink noise DSP turning track. If you want to see that step other installation videos show you how to do that.

Edit: the harness and amp are "Kit 11". Here is the direct link to the bronco kits.
https://plugnplaykits.com/products/...y-audio-harnesses-kits?variant=41130698473662

Where did you get the installation instructions? I ordered this exact kit and it did not come with any.

BBSas

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I recently added the plugnplay harness, kicker 4” in the front with bass blockers and kicker 6.5 in the rear with the Mabett rear pods and a kicker 200.4 amp all with the help of several different forums and members posts. I did not change the kick panels as I have a 2 door and didn’t know if it would make a difference. It was much better than factory but I still wasn’t 100% happy. Today, I made the Forscan adjust that other members did and WOW, game changer. I am now 100%. I’m not big on the bass thump but if you are you’ll want to add a sub, somewhere. Again, thanks to all on this forum or I would have paid a bunch more from a stereo shop and got the same result!

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anyone find a reliable retailer with the Kicker Key 200.4 in stock? I've been trying to buy it for like 4 months and can't find it anywhere? Thanks!

Sponsored

Tofferf

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anyone find a reliable retailer with the Kicker Key 200.4 in stock? I've been trying to buy it for like 4 months and can't find it anywhere? Thanks!
I ordered from Amazon but it’ll be late April until it ships.

BBSas

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

See if plugnplay.com will sell you just the amp if that is all you need. Their harness makes it easy IMO.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I ordered from plugNplay kits.

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks all, I am not seeing the amplified version availble on plugnplaykits.com. Only the non amplified kits.

Last edited:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks all, I am not seeing the amplified version availble on plugnplaykits.com. Only the non amplified kits.
"non amplified" means base stereo, non-B&O. Agree it's confusing, but that's what they mean. kit 11 should be the basic PNP harness and key 200.4 combo. You can add the separate power connector to that kit or you can order one that is prewired for sub output (but will still work if you haven't got a sub/amp combo yet. I think the one I got was 11-2, and added the power connector...was exactly the ticket!
Sponsored