gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So that video is great to install the amp, but coming from a total noobie here...what in the world settings do I apply to this thing? Like what do I do with those switches in the amp? I'm not sure I can sift through 70 pages to get my answer.
Sponsored

BDBJ79

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle-less
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought the whole kit from plug n play. Kicker key amp, all new speakers and the kicker 10” sub. Can’t wait to get it all installed…if I ever get my Bronco

TT6gbd

Black Diamond
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It made a tremendous difference.

To be fair, I ran my Kicker amplifier a little differently than most: I wired it for bi-amp mode and replaced both the dash speakers and the kick panel speakers. I went with Focal for the dash and Dayton Audio for the kick panels (Dayton Audio had very similar specs with the Focals at a bargain-basement price of $60 for the pair).
1663172921453.png

1663172952450.png

Putting the amp in bi-amp mode adds additional crossovers for the dash and kick panel speakers in addition to the dip switches to add an extra crossover. So, I ended up with the following crossover points:

Focal 4" 2-way dash speakers: Only play above 320hz
Dayton Audio 6.5" kick panel speakers: Only play between 120hz and 640hz
10" Infinity subwoofer: Only plays below 120hz
Rear stock speakers: I have no idea but can't really hear them anyway

To add bass you have to move air, and small speakers are just not capable of moving enough air. So yes, adding any type of sub will certainly help. My single 10 is enough to fill out the sound and allow me to feel the bass drum kicks again, and the kick panels have good mid-bass.

1663172992018.png
What harness did you use? I’m doing a similar set up kicker key 200.4 in bi amp mode and kicker key 500.1 for sub. Leaving stock rear pods to run of the radio.

greatlakes

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Buick Special
Your Bronco Model
Base
What harness did you use? I’m doing a similar set up kicker key 200.4 in bi amp mode and kicker key 500.1 for sub. Leaving stock rear pods to run of the radio.
I actually did not purchase a harness. I used the Metra plug for the kick panels to feed both the Kicker amp input and an AudioControl line output converter for the sub amp. I did this on both sides for left and right.

For the output from the amplifier, I just ran new wires to the dash speakers and kick panels. Running wires is really easy in these vehicles.

Finally, I ran a dedicated power and ground to both amplifiers (and line output converter).

Ford Bronco Kicker Key Amp 200.4 Install DIY Video - Do this first! 1679504973180

Ford Bronco Kicker Key Amp 200.4 Install DIY Video - Do this first! 1679505041849

Ford Bronco Kicker Key Amp 200.4 Install DIY Video - Do this first! 1679505088298

TT6gbd

Black Diamond
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I actually did not purchase a harness. I used the Metra plug for the kick panels to feed both the Kicker amp input and an AudioControl line output converter for the sub amp. I did this on both sides for left and right.

For the output from the amplifier, I just ran new wires to the dash speakers and kick panels. Running wires is really easy in these vehicles.

Finally, I ran a dedicated power and ground to both amplifiers (and line output converter).

1679504973180.png

1679505041849.png

1679505088298.png
So just the front speaker channel are feeding both kicker key and lc2

Sponsored

TT6gbd

Black Diamond
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Correct - I just used the signal from each kick panel (left and right)
Last questions….I really appreciate you for taking the time to help me out, I’ve been up and down the forum on the phone with plug n play but your info has been the most helpful. From the front speakers did you go to the kicker key amp first and then split to the lc2 for the sub amp or the other way around? Does your kicker key amp make any hiss sounds? Where’s did you get the power and remote for the lc2? Reason I ask is because I see two power cables for the 2 amps but not a third power cable for lc2. last did you see a big improvement in sound quality, volume?

greatlakes

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Buick Special
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last questions….I really appreciate you for taking the time to help me out, I’ve been up and down the forum on the phone with plug n play but your info has been the most helpful. From the front speakers did you go to the kicker key amp first and then split to the lc2 for the sub amp or the other way around? Does your kicker key amp make any hiss sounds? Where’s did you get the power and remote for the lc2? Reason I ask is because I see two power cables for the 2 amps but not a third power cable for lc2. last did you see a big improvement in sound quality, volume?
No worries - if I can help I'm glad to do so.

The two power cables I routed to the Kicker Key amp and the sub amp. Where one power wire is connected to the Kicker harness for power, I also tied in another, smaller-gauge wire to feed the lc2. I did the same for the ground. The lc2 just doesn't require that much amperage. It actually worked out well because I used 10awg heat-shrinking butt connectors (because of the 10awg power wire running to the battery). One side of the connector has the larger wire from the battery; the other side of the connector has both the power wire from the key harness and the extra power wire to feed the lc2. I did the same for the ground and tied it to a suitable ground point under the dash.

Excuse the crude drawing; it's not to scale :)
Ford Bronco Kicker Key Amp 200.4 Install DIY Video - Do this first! 1679520349100

I actually used the lc2's signal sense feature, so the remote wire on the lc2 is out to turn on the sub amp.

I don't have any hiss, and with upgraded speakers in both the dash and kick panels, it's a huge improvement. Much better clarity especially in the highs and midbass, which is all I wanted from the front since the sub handles the low end. I also did not need any bass blockers since in bi-amp mode, the kicker automatically applies the appropriate crossover points for the dash speakers and I manually set the low-end crossover point for the kick panels using the dip switches.

I will say I hear the rears even less now (which I don't mind personally) and the navigation voice scared the crap out of me the first time since she's now amplified.

Brian

TT6gbd

Black Diamond
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Great I’m glad to hear it sounds good…now I feel more confident to start my install…someone mentioned that we need load resistors wonder if you used any in your sub amp?

greatlakes

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Buick Special
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great I’m glad to hear it sounds good…now I feel more confident to start my install…someone mentioned that we need load resistors wonder if you used any in your sub amp?
I didn't use any load resistors

Sponsored

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where is everyone getting the pink noise file to run? I searched kickers website but couldnt find much?

Also - I replaced the 6 inch kick panel speakers. I used a harness and am now getting some vibration when the stock "door ajar" noise plays. PLEASE tell me I don't have to take those speakers out again and add some kind of vibration reducing material? Will the kicker key fix this itself?

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Totally missed the key tones - All I saw was the smart loc ones. Thanks. Any advice aboutthe vibrtaions?
Do you mean a rattle from a panel? Both sides or just one? I do not have that at all with my kicker CS kick panel speakers. Are you sure everything is installed correctly? Possible anything, even a paper tag from a wire harness or panel, etc, is in contact with the speaker?
Sponsored