Sponsored

Kodiak's BS, riding around with dogs, day drinking, and sometimes working on the Bronco thread

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Please share your parts list! I can’t imagine doing that anytime soon, but it’s inevitable at one point.

As far as mods go, I think it's going to be fairly simple. The rack comes with tire rods, so it's just removing the old one and bolting in the new one. Hard part is getting it programmed prior to install as there aren't that many people who can and will do it for you. I'm combining a road trip to see an old friend with getting mine programmed, so it's going to work out well for me.
Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Are you going with the factory 4.7?

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are you going with the factory 4.7?

Yes. As much as I wanted the D44 with 5.13s, I just decided it was more than I wanted to spend. For the same amount of money, I can replace both axles with 4.70 with lockers AND get the 3.0 steering rack. Plus that will give me a set of 4.46 axles with rear locker to sell to recoup some of the expense.

Stronger front axle, front locker, slightly lower gears, and stronger steering rack/tie rods. Should make going to 37s a bit easier on the Bronco.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How much was the rack? I’ve seen the axles listed for around $4k if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How much was the rack? I’ve seen the axles listed for around $4k if I remember correctly.

The rack was around $1400 with a $400 core charge. I'm thinking about keeping my old rack for a spare or selling instead of returning as a core since it is still good. Might get the cheap RC bushings to add to it. You never know when someone is going to bust a rack and need a quick replacement.

4.70 axles are around $4K, plus CVs and ProCal tool, so total of around $5K. The D44 front plus CVs is almost $7K, plus whatever regearing the rear would run.

Mostly I just want stronger parts so when I am solo in areas far from home and not in cell phone range, I'll be less prone to breakage.

Sponsored
OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I was staying with 35s, I'd probably go a different route for my Black Diamond. I'd replace the front M190 with a M210 with front locker in 4.46 and add the RC bushings to my current steering rack plus the 3.0 tie rods.

That would still require the ProCal to do the FAD delete, but would save the cost of doing anything to the rear axle and be a lot less expensive the shore up the steering.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like your camping style. I stick with my old backpacking tent. I'm too lazy for a rooftop tent. Plus I don't like how top-heavy it makes a vehicle and the additional weight.

Curious about your rack choice. Why did you go with the HOSS3 (I assume that's what it is?) vs the new 74weld solution with brass bushing?

It seems like you never had an issue with the ICONs hitting the tie rods as there isn't much space to spare. Are you concerned about the slightly thicker tied rods with the HOSS3?

What rear reinforcement do you plan to use for the 37s?

And, finally, why the move to 37s? Any concerns about suspension angles? You do a lot of solo stuff.

OK final question, do you get concerned about getting stuck in the snow when solo? You don't have a winch.

I'm just starting out with my 2023 Badlands non-SAS. My plan is to see if I ever need to get beyond the 33s. Will likely be doing a fair amount of solo travel. I also carry a spare tie rod + tools.

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I like your camping style. I stick with my old backpacking tent. I'm too lazy for a rooftop tent. Plus I don't like how top-heavy it makes a vehicle and the additional weight.

Curious about your rack choice. Why did you go with the HOSS3 (I assume that's what it is?) vs the new 74weld solution with brass bushing?

It seems like you never had an issue with the ICONs hitting the tie rods as there isn't much space to spare. Are you concerned about the slightly thicker tied rods with the HOSS3?

What rear reinforcement do you plan to use for the 37s?

And, finally, why the move to 37s? Any concerns about suspension angles? You do a lot of solo stuff.

OK final question, do you get concerned about getting stuck in the snow when solo? You don't have a winch.

I'm just starting out with my 2023 Badlands non-SAS. My plan is to see if I ever need to get beyond the 33s. Will likely be doing a fair amount of solo travel. I also carry a spare tie rod + tools.

I'll start at the end first. I do get concerned about getting stuck. As someone who has walked out more than once, I take precautions when solo. Same when spending a week or more backpacking in wilderness areas solo. Everything has to be calculated.

The reason for the 37s is just to add more capability on the trails I'm already doing. Not to get me farther in so I have to walk farther out. I've debated a winch, but I don't know if I would get into more trouble knowing I had it verses staying conservative without it. I also know the long lost art of using a shovel, stacking rocks, employing a chainsaw, etc. to get out of bad spots. I tend to stay in 2wd and no lockers as long as I can so I know when I get to the point of needing them. Some people start out with everything and never realize they are getting over their head until they do.

Worse thing I think I ever did was get my wife's new Jeep stranded in white out conditions in Alaska that took 3 days to recover and required a long cold walk to a phone. That was a long time ago and I still carry lessons from it.

Unfortunately, money is an issue, as I just have too many irons in the fire, and every dollar spent on the Bronco is money not spent on other hobbies. I want to beef things up prior to the 37s for insurance. Moving to the 3.0 steering for me is cost effective verses going to the 74weld. It will be stronger and better than what I have, and now I'll have a spare rack if I need it.

As far as the tailgate reinforcement, I haven't decided. I'd prefer a bumper mounted swing gate, but the current ones on the market all have a few, small concerning issues that have kept me from pulling the trigger.

I am at my heart a back country camper. My kids are in their late 20s and in their prime, and they all dread going hiking with me, as they know it's going to be work. I've definitely slowed down and decreased my range, but prefer to be as far from people as often as I can. I enjoy solo trips for a week or more with no outside communication, although the wife has finally forced me to carry a Garmin inreach. For some reason she is concerned about finding the body. Never concerned her when I was younger. Must have something to do with getting the retirement funds.

I'm also coming from a long time use of Toyota IFS and have learned the value of carrying spare CVs, tie rods, etc. as you just never know. Usually for someone else, but it's nice to have the parts and tools for trailside fixes when needed. Another concern is good street manners. I'm often driving 1500+ miles one way just to get to the trail.

This was a couple weeks ago where I stopped for lunch in the Absaroka-Beartooth wilderness area. The Bronco got me to the trailhead and the legs did the rest.

Ford Bronco Kodiak's BS, riding around with dogs, day drinking, and sometimes working on the Bronco thread IMG_3557

Last edited:

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll start at the end first. I do get concerned about getting stuck. As someone who has walked out more than once, I take precautions when solo. Same when spending a week or more backpacking in wilderness areas solo. Everything has to be calculated.

The reason for the 37s is just to add more capability on the trails I'm already doing. Not to get me farther in so I have to walk farther out. I've debated a winch, but I don't know if I would get into more trouble knowing I had it verses staying conservative without it. I also know the long lost art of using a shovel, stacking rocks, employing a chainsaw, etc. to get out of bad spots. I tend to stay in 2wd and no lockers as long as I can so I know when I get to the point of needing them. Some people start out with everything and never realize they are getting over their head until they do.

Worse thing I think I ever did was get my wife's new Jeep stranded in white out conditions in Alaska that took 3 days to recover and required a long cold walk to a phone. That was a long time ago and I still carry lessons from it.

Unfortunately, money is an issue, as I just have too many irons in the fire, and every dollar spent on the Bronco is money not spent on other hobbies. I want to beef things up prior to the 37s for insurance. Moving to the 3.0 steering for me is cost effective verses going to the 74weld. It will be stronger and better than what I have, and now I'll have a spare rack if I need it.

As far as the tailgate reinforcement, I haven't decided. I'd prefer a bumper mounted swing gate, but the current ones on the market all have a few, small concerning issues that have kept me from pulling the trigger.

I am at my heart a back country camper. My kids are in their late 20s and in their prime, and they all dread going hiking with me, as they know it's going to be work. I've definitely slowed down and decreased my range, but prefer to be as far from people as often as I can. I enjoy solo trips for a week or more with no outside communication, although the wife has finally forced me to carry a Garmin inreach. For some reason she is concerned about finding the body. Never concerned her when I was younger. Must have something to do with getting the retirement funds.

I'm also coming from a long time use of Toyota IFS and have learned the value of carrying spare CVs, tie rods, etc. as you just never know. Usually for someone else, but it's nice to have the parts and tools for trailside fixes when needed. Another concern is good street manners. I'm often driving 1500+ miles one way just to get to the trail.

This was a couple weeks ago where I stopped for lunch in the Absaroka-Beartooth wilderness area. The Bronco got me to the trailhead and the legs did the rest.

Ford Bronco Kodiak's BS, riding around with dogs, day drinking, and sometimes working on the Bronco thread IMG_3557
Beautiful area. And thanks for the detailed response. I've never backpacked in grizzly country. Makes me nervous. Although rationally I know the risk is small. I spend most of my backpacking days in the Sierras, but that's easy cause I live in California. My other days are in Southwestern deserts, mostly in Utah. I love the desert. But carrying water is indeed a heavy proposition at times, depending on location and time of year.

We have an annual trip called Death March. The early years were all off trail with occasional arguing over the topo map. Alas the past 10 years it's become far less of a march and more an exercise in how much bourbon we can carry to support ourselves. But getting away from people is still a goal, and you gotta go deep in the Sierra to get away from people. Cheers!
Sponsored