Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was messing around with different Black Diamond builds and ended up with a build that reminded me a lot of the Land Rover Defender (from the profile view). Entertaining the idea I went to the Land Rover site to create a similarly packaged LR Defender build. I tried to equip this defender as close as possible to the Bronco Black Diamond and this is the results (below). The difference in price is $18,501

Land Rover Defender 110 - packaged at $62,760
Ford Bronco Land Rover Defender 110 vs Bronco Black Diamond 1604161849046

Bronco Black Diamond - packaged at $44,259
Ford Bronco Land Rover Defender 110 vs Bronco Black Diamond 1604164190712

Specs

Land Rover

Trim: Defender 110 (base)
Color: Indus Silver
Engine: Ingenium 2.0 liter 4-cylinder 296 HP Twin Turbocharged Gas
Transmission: [presumably automatic could find no info on]
Max HP: 296 hp
Max Torque: 295 lb-ft

Interior:
Ebony fabric (stock)
Analog display (stock)
seats 5 (stock)

Add-ons:
  • Indus Silver color (+$710)
  • Black Exterior Pack (+$600)
  • Black contrast roof (+$870)
  • 19" Gloss Black wheels (+$1800)
  • Off-Road tires (couldn't find the size) (+part of off-road pack)
  • 19" full size spare wheel (+$100)
  • Off-Road pack (+$1345)
  • Advanced off-road capability pack (+$735)
  • Tow Hitch Receiver (+$650) [doesn't appear to come pre-wired - just the receiver. there is a tow package that was $1300 I did not option for]
  • Explorer Pack (+$4800)
    • Mudflaps
    • Matte Black Hood Decal
    • Fender Flares
    • Raised Air intake
    • Roof Rack
    • Exterior side mounted gear box
    • Spare wheel cover

Bronco

Trim: Black Diamond
Color: Iconic Silver
Engine: 2.3L EcoBoost Engine
Transmission: 10-speed automatic
Max HP: 270 hp
Max Torque: 310 lb-ft

Interior:
black onyx marine grade vinyl
partial analog/digital display
seats 5

Add-ons:
  • MIC Hard Top (+$695)
  • Roof Rails with Crossbars (+$365)
  • Mid Package (+$1495)
  • Tow Package (+$595)
  • LockNLoad Flat-Top Cargo Carrier Large (+$1069)

Summary

I am not going to go into great detail on the differences between the interior and off-road capabilities. If you are interested you can do some more in-depth research into what the LR Defender offers. My take away from a general comparison is that you have to option a lot more items to get close to what the Bronco offers as standard. Even in doing that, I feel that you still get much much more in terms of off-road capability from the Bronco even after all of the optioning. The Land Rover may have a more plush interior with perhaps some better technology on the base package. However, you could opt up to a Badlands Lux package and get more or equal interior tech at still less price than what I built above - which is a base cloth interior. Now there are some cool things you can get in the LR that are not an option in the Bronco, like the "ClearSight" interior rear view mirror (this is just cool!), but overall the Bronco comes with more options for off-roading and still offers a lot of new high-end tech.

Overall take away that you can build a defender looking Bronco for a lot less money and a lot more off-road capability.

Your thoughts?
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah... for me there is really no cross shopping happening between the two.

Not only is the defender significantly more expensive, you also have to contend with their reputation for reliability and their dealer network.

I might be able to afford a $50k Bronco, but a comparable defender is $65+, and then I’d have to get it back and forth to the dealer 2 hrs away for all the warranty work it’ll need.

No contest.

Daytona_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was messing around with different Black Diamond builds and ended up with a build that reminded me a lot of the Land Rover Defender (from the profile view). Entertaining the idea I went to the Land Rover site to create a similarly packaged LR Defender build. I tried to equip this defender as close as possible to the Bronco Black Diamond and this is the results (below). The difference in price is $18,501

Land Rover Defender 110 - packaged at $62,760
1604161849046.png

Bronco Black Diamond - packaged at $44,259
1604164190712.png

Specs

Land Rover

Trim: Defender 110 (base)
Color: Indus Silver
Engine: Ingenium 2.0 liter 4-cylinder 296 HP Twin Turbocharged Gas
Transmission: [presumably automatic could find no info on]
Max HP: 296 hp
Max Torque: 295 lb-ft

Interior:
Ebony fabric (stock)
Analog display (stock)
seats 5 (stock)

Add-ons:
  • Indus Silver color (+$710)
  • Black Exterior Pack (+$600)
  • Black contrast roof (+$870)
  • 19" Gloss Black wheels (+$1800)
  • Off-Road tires (couldn't find the size) (+part of off-road pack)
  • 19" full size spare wheel (+$100)
  • Off-Road pack (+$1345)
  • Advanced off-road capability pack (+$735)
  • Tow Hitch Receiver (+$650) [doesn't appear to come pre-wired - just the receiver. there is a tow package that was $1300 I did not option for]
  • Explorer Pack (+$4800)
    • Mudflaps
    • Matte Black Hood Decal
    • Fender Flares
    • Raised Air intake
    • Roof Rack
    • Exterior side mounted gear box
    • Spare wheel cover

Bronco

Trim: Black Diamond
Color: Iconic Silver
Engine: 2.3L EcoBoost Engine
Transmission: 10-speed automatic
Max HP: 270 hp
Max Torque: 310 lb-ft

Interior:
black onyx marine grade vinyl
partial analog/digital display
seats 5

Add-ons:
  • MIC Hard Top (+$695)
  • Roof Rails with Crossbars (+$365)
  • Mid Package (+$1495)
  • Tow Package (+$595)
  • LockNLoad Flat-Top Cargo Carrier Large (+$1069)

Summary

I am not going to go into great detail on the differences between the interior and off-road capabilities. If you are interested you can do some more in-depth research into what the LR Defender offers. My take away from a general comparison is that you have to option a lot more items to get close to what the Bronco offers as standard. Even in doing that, I feel that you still get much much more in terms of off-road capability from the Bronco even after all of the optioning. The Land Rover may have a more plush interior with perhaps some better technology on the base package. However, you could opt up to a Badlands Lux package and get more or equal interior tech at still less price than what I built above - which is a base cloth interior. Now there are some cool things you can get in the LR that are not an option in the Bronco, like the "ClearSight" interior rear view mirror (this is just cool!), but overall the Bronco comes with more options for off-roading and still offers a lot of new high-end tech.

Overall take away that you can build a defender looking Bronco for a lot less money and a lot more off-road capability.

Your thoughts?
Saw the LR last week dam its ? ... cant wait to pull up besides it in my Sasquatched Bronco! Cool post

Charky

Wildtrak
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah... for me there is really no cross shopping happening between the two.

Not only is the defender significantly more expensive, you also have to contend with their reputation for reliability and their dealer network.

I might be able to afford a $50k Bronco, but a comparable defender is $65+, and then I’d have to get it back and forth to the dealer 2 hrs away for all the warranty work it’ll need.

No contest.
Exactly! And parts alone will be multiples higher than a Ford.

Sponsored

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Great post OP. The Defender has quite an advantage in tow capacity, but their reputation for unreliability would keep me away. I also would like to get back into an American made vehicle. Not sold on the Bronco yet but it's a good possibility.

roxbury29

Wildtrak
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150/JK 4dr. Wrangler/Flex/Mazda6
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The reliability will be debated for ever. My opinion regardless the Bronco service will be lot less expensive. Land Rover, just like Audi are ridiculously expensive even for a simple oil change. Also, you can't remove the doors and top on the defender.

Bronco wins!!

bluezombi

Outer Banks
First Name
Louis Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bicycle
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A classic Defender, maybe...
The New one... No way!
Specially with their rialability. Cost more in repairs.

my wife would think that i am having an affair with the mechanic

KindaOrange

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None... hurry up Ford!
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Plus you have to own the "turncoat" label.

1776 bitch, no brits allowed in my stables.

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm more interested in the Ineos Grenadier. As a commuter/DD vehicle, the Defender 110 and 90 look like interesting options, but don't see how the fall in the same class/discussion of the top-off fun (and reasonable cost and repair cost) of something like a Bronco or a Wrangler.

Sponsored

Smokin

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ram, 19 McLaren 720S, 16 Viper ACR, 20 Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have my Bronco on order, but I’m debating cancelling as the defender fit and finish is so much nicer - especially the interior. I’ve had several Range Rovers over the years and only one of the prior generation full size rover I had had one bad air suspension shock- once. None of the others have had any problems. Btw, I don’t see why most of you are worried. There’s 4 years of warranty on both cars. If you’re THAT worried l, buy the extended warranty. Besides a Jaguar Land Rover store gives better loaners than Ford. The accusation seems to be made by people who have never owned one. Also why the debate over price? The interiors are no comparison. The rover has more power. I like the Broncos’ solid axles and exterior a bit more so hence the debate.

OP
OP
centra28

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Btw, I don’t see why most of you are worried. There’s 4 years of warranty on both cars. If you’re THAT worried l, buy the extended warranty. Besides a Jaguar Land Rover store gives better loaners than Ford.
Amen to that. Something to be said for owning a luxury vehicle. Service is a night and day comparison compared to the household brands. We've owned several Accura's and you literally just drive in, get out and into your nice new Acura to drive around until your service is complete (if overnight).

Also why the debate over price? The interiors are no comparison. The rover has more power. I like the Broncos’ solid axles and exterior a bit more so hence the debate.
A couple things here. The price difference is 18k! It's a huge difference! In the example provided I can still upgrade the powertrain to the 2.7l V6 and have "more power" than the similarly spec'd LR. I can also go with a Badlands Lux and land underneath that price. I agree the interior is much nicer in these LR vehicles overall. But also they are priced a lot higher. They are very capable luxury vehicles. So with that you get nicer stuff, well luxury. So if I am paying 18k more for this vehicle then I would expect that to show pretty strongly. I will also mention that the comparison here has the LR Defender spec'd out with cloth seats and analog display whereas the BD trim is spec'd in vinyl seating. So is it really that much nicer? Subject to opinion.

Also the Bronco has an IFS and not SFA.

KJR50

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not telling U.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Like the 110 styling and capabilities, but I just can’t get pass their reliability issues.

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
I thought of going for defender 110. Actually I was absolutely going for it and had no idea about bronco. What made me look elsewhere is the fact that the defender base starts at 50k but to get a base with larger engine is 62 minimum. $12k for a bigger engine vs bronco $1800. I mean....c'mon.
Sponsored