Sponsored

LAST CALL: Badlands 33” vs. 35” (Pros & Cons) Worth the upgrade to 35” tires?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Can someone with experience comment on the idea of getting sasquatch but immediately swapping the MTs for ATs in order to get a more comfortable and quieter ride?
My question for you is this, if I get the SASQ package with either trim and I find that the 35s are a bit much relative to mph, noise, ride quality, etc., can I shift to 33s when the 35s wear out and need replacement? If so what are the considerations to keep in mind?
Virtually all 35's are Load Range D or E which give a harsher ride vs a Load Range SL(P) or C.

The factory GY Territory 35" and optional 33" are load range C, so either of these tires should have better ride quality vs Load Range D or E. The 33" will be be better ride quality as it is a lighter tire.

For the most comfortable ride, in the class of tires we are discussing, in general an AT will be quieter than an MT. We know the GY Territory is more of a hybird XT so the noise level should fall somewhere in between.

There is not a lot of choice for a 35" A/T in load range C and no load range SL's:
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/315-70R17.htm

Staying with a 33" 285/70R17 will give you a much greater selection of lighter SL(P) load range tires. These provide additional sidewall flex which leads to more comfortable ride quality. Also, staying with a tighter tread pattern AT typically produces less noise vs a wide gap tread pattern on the MT's.

Here is an example of available tires in the 33" 285/70R17 size (Use the filter to select load range SL)
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/285-70R17.htm

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Virtually all 35's are Load Range D or E which give a harsher ride vs a Load Range SL(P) or C.

The factory GY Territory 35" and optional 33" are load range C, so either of these tires should have better ride quality vs Load Range D or E. The 33" will be be better ride quality as it is a lighter tire.

For the most comfortable ride, in the class of tires we are discussing, in general an AT will be quieter than an MT. We know the GY Territory is more of a hybird XT so the noise level should fall somewhere in between.

There is not a lot of choice for a 35" A/T in load range C and no load range SL's:
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/315-70R17.htm

Staying with a 33" 285/70R17 will give you a much greater selection of lighter SL(P) load range tires. These provide additional sidewall flex which leads to more comfortable ride quality. Also, staying with a tighter tread pattern AT typically produces less noise vs a wide gap tread pattern on the MT's.

Here is an example of available tires in the 33" 285/70R17 size (Use the filter to select load range SL)
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/285-70R17.htm
So if I get the SASQ and eventually want to transition to 33s is that more trouble than its worth?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So if I get the SASQ and eventually want to transition to 33s is that more trouble than its worth?
Not at all, you should be fine, that is why I'm staying with 33" tires since they will give me a better DD ride.

Keep in mind with Squatch you will have 4.7 gearing vs say the Badlands with 10sp and 33" has 4.46 gearing. A number of posters with more knowledge than me on gearing have suggested the 10sp will handle it just fine.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not at all, you should be fine, that is why I'm staying with 33" tires since they will give me a better DD ride.

Keep in mind with Squatch you will have 4.7 gearing vs say the Badlands with 10sp and 33" has 4.46 gearing. A number of posters with more knowledge than me on gearing have suggested the 10sp will handle it just fine.
I appreciate your insight. Just one more question, it seems that many folks are opting for the 33s. For those that are going with 35s, what is the advantage to the 35?

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I appreciate your insight. Just one more question, it seems that many folks are opting for the 33s. For those that are going with 35s, what is the advantage to the 35?
One extra inch of ground clearance and cool looks, boarding ladder not included.

Lambert2559

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7, 2019 Chevrolet RST Z71, 1990 300ZX,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was originally going with the sasquatch package, but I will not ride on Goodyear tires. So I will be opting out of the sasquatch package. I will be adding a aftermarket lift and 35" tires.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

One extra inch of ground clearance and cool looks, boarding ladder not included.
as someone who is going 33 a leveling kit will do better. I get the factory "lift" / tire argument, but the cost on the BL seems screwball to me. Also as an owner of a A10 F150, the trans will be bad ass in whatever final drive ratio, it has 10 gears :)

cbarg14

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F•150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Like many of you, I have gone back and forth the last few months In regards 33” or 35” on the Badlands.

It really comes down to what you individually like and I DO NOT WANT TO BE LOOKING UP TO ANY OTHER 35” Broncos. Lol

This is my 50th B-DAY present to myself and I can care less about MPG. I want a higher ride and higher clearance!!

Can’t wait!!! BE READY FOR ANYTHING!!!

What do you guys thinks? Upgrade or not????
Honestly, unless you want a high package, save yourself $4k and pimp out the BD with a SP. Use the money you save for a winch you'll never use. It's all about the coolness factor, right? ?

ynotbmester

Black Diamond
First Name
ynot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC YUKON DENALI AWD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Took some photos of the wheels at super cel east. Left is the optional BL 33" Goodyear MT on optional wheels. Carbonized ring. Looks like ring comes off but I don't know if it is beadlock capable. (I don't know anything about beadlocks.)

I like the optional wheel but I haven't decided on paying the extra $995 yet. I'm staying with the 33" Ko2's.

Right photo is Sasquatch 35" on Sasquatch wheels. Silver ring
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 4.28.13 PM.png
Jeep Hemi has these new 33's looks very similar to squach

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 3.47.06 PM.png

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Been trying to decide on 4.46 or 4.7 with BL. I know this has been discussed a bunch, but why do it if you don't plan to go with larger tires? Isn't the 4.46 optimized for BL with 33s? Curious to know as this isn't my area of expertise and I feel like I need more information to make a decision on gearing. All the info I've seen and read so far has either been too technical (math isn't my forte) or not definitive enough.
Sponsored