Sponsored

LAST CALL: Badlands 33” vs. 35” (Pros & Cons) Worth the upgrade to 35” tires?

Hans

Outer Banks
First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Took some photos of the wheels at super cel east. Left is the optional BL 33" Goodyear MT on optional wheels. Carbonized ring. Looks like ring comes off but I don't know if it is beadlock capable. (I don't know anything about beadlocks.)

I like the optional wheel but I haven't decided on paying the extra $995 yet. I'm staying with the 33" Ko2's.

Right photo is Sasquatch 35" on Sasquatch wheels. Silver ring
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 4.28.13 PM.png
This is to soften the possible sasquatch tire shortages.
Sponsored

rmillermich

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I recently upgraded my wheels and tires and went with a 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT, I believe its a new model in the past few years. Anyway, its between the 33 and 35 at pretty much exactly 33.7". Also, not as wide as the 315/70's and it weigh less. My experience with E rated LTs, is the weight can really mess with mileage, and noise. I went with the 285/75 to get the taller sidewall and reduce the chance of rubbing, and had no problem. I only put a 2" leveling kit on the front with the Bilstein 6112's on the highest setting, and the Bilstein 5100's on the rear may have raised it up about 0.5".

My brother in law rented a jeep with 37's, so he had no problem out in Moab and the white rim trail was no problem for either vehicle. I scraped once on the side step, but no visible marks.

i'm going with a 2 dr BD, want the mt with the mid package (<$40k), but will go with the AT and 2.7 if that doesn't happen, and then other than tow package will go stock and wait for after market lift/shock options. The F-150 can easily handle up to a 2" front lift with no other mods, including the upper control arm, I have no problems. Would expect the Bronco to be similar dimensionally, upgrade the front coil over for a minimal lift, the rear should be easy as well, and then you could put the 34" tire on pretty easy. I really like the 2.7 that I have on the F-150, I did do a tune and it added about 48 HP and 60 TQ running 93. I'm running the 89 tune as they don't have 93 everywhere and it's pretty close.

You also need to monitor the wheel offset and then you can get the look you want. I got a tire and wheel package for $1600 and sold my takeoffs for $800. I really don't mind the cheap wheels but may upgrade those to a Method brand. The cheap wheels did fine in Moab. My tires stay inside the fenders and as I mentioned, have no clearance issues.

The tires are almost as quiet as the OEM, gas mileage dropped about 1 mpg.

Ford Bronco LAST CALL: Badlands 33” vs. 35” (Pros & Cons) Worth the upgrade to 35” tires? truck

Ford Bronco LAST CALL: Badlands 33” vs. 35” (Pros & Cons) Worth the upgrade to 35” tires? truck2

Ford Bronco LAST CALL: Badlands 33” vs. 35” (Pros & Cons) Worth the upgrade to 35” tires? truck4

Ford Bronco LAST CALL: Badlands 33” vs. 35” (Pros & Cons) Worth the upgrade to 35” tires? truck5

Ford Bronco LAST CALL: Badlands 33” vs. 35” (Pros & Cons) Worth the upgrade to 35” tires? truck6

Last edited:

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a question for you as you seem to be pretty well versed on the nuances of the different wheel/tire considerations. I am trying to finalize my build, which is either BL or OBX. My question for you is this, if I get the SASQ package with either trim and I find that the 35s are a bit much relative to mph, noise, ride quality, etc., can I shift to 33s when the 35s wear out and need replacement? If so what are the considerations to keep in mind?
Obvious one is resetting speedometer. I guess the dealership can do this.

Sasquatch has final gearing of 4.7 and also advanced transfer gearing of 3.06 vs 2.72 relative to shift in the fly 4x4 that is standard on OBX.

Sasquatch has been optimized to work with 4.7 (35s). BL has been optimized to work with 4.46 (33s). OBX with diff upgrade has 4.27 (32s).

Dropping Squatch PKG to 33s means you'll be running them at 4.7 gearing which may be too low? You will be able to rock crawl super slow, but your speed on the highway will be reduced. I have no idea how the 10 sp automatic will behave when you make the change, maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in? There is a free option for BL to come with 4.7, but it seems to me folks interested in this are considering it so they can switch up to a larger size like 37s & not down to 33s.

Big question mark for me is suspension travel? Badlands travel is 4cm longer than Sasquatch, so I think (not positive) that Squatching BL actually reduces articulation. So, dropping back down to 33s on Squatched BL shoots yourself in the foot as you've accomplished killing your suspension travel. Ford has been hush hush about suspension specs because (imo) Squatch travel is fairly limited, esp compared to competition (Jeep Rubicon).

Sponsored

Daisy76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where are you getting this? Didn't a Ford engineer say it was 10mm?
You are correct! A Ford rep previously stated in a Q & A that the Squatch package is limited 10mm (which is merely 0.3937”) over the standard BL susp because of tire size.

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

33s because the Goodyear 35s that come on the Squatch shouldn't be on anybody's short list of capable tires to buy. I'm going Badlands, no squatch and if I want 35s I'll buy BFGs and put on aftermarket wheels.

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wait - are you saying these also aren't "beadlock capable"? Or just that they lack the rings?

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Interesting visual look at Squatch vs non-Squatch 2 door Badlands:

Ford Bronco LAST CALL: Badlands 33” vs. 35” (Pros & Cons) Worth the upgrade to 35” tires? truck6

i.e., the suspension height from the wheel to the top of the flare looks to be the same.

This lends more credence to the suspension being the same.

AND this brings up more questions about why that 4 door overland concept had so little wheel travel space ...
Remember, the wheels on the Overland concept were closer to to true 35s. Also, there is believed to be stiffer suspension with Squatch. While the amount of space in the wheel well does look very similar, @ClaviusBase makes a good point. Can't really gauge it properly from these photos.

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I read his follow up post as referring to the pre-production models we're seeing. Which would make sense.
Sponsored