Sponsored

Latest on obtaining roof rails for the 4D?

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Unfortunately I'm in the group of folks that really wanted roof rails (and a roof platform) from the factory but wasn't able to option due my build being 4D 2.7 and SAS. I get that Ford doesn't want to take on the liability of the extra weight and a high COG in combination with a certain GVWR, but they have to know a lot of customers want to add them! Why are they making this difficult? Haven't been able to find much about purchasing the rails on my own and installing. They aren't listed as an accessory and I can't seem to find a part number for both rails as a kit or a price. Any info would be appreciated!
Sponsored

WhiteMamba

First Edition
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE, 2015 F350 2010 Focus 1995 F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I posted the part numbers a month ago but over parts counter it ends up being over $1800 so we either need to wait for an accessory bundle or a aftermarket roof rail kit.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well also, since the Webasto fail, chances are that the MOD top will be the answer to both roof rails and hard top problems.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well also, since the Webasto fail, chances are that the MOD top will be the answer to both roof rails and hard top problems.
Forgive my ignorance- is the MOD the newest MIC in place of the webasto? Should I assume since mine has been blended but not marked as built that I’m getting a non-webasto top?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Forgive my ignorance- is the MOD the newest MIC in place of the webasto? Should I assume since mine has been blended but not marked as built that I’m getting a non-webasto top?
There are no non-webasto tops (well unless you are getting a soft top which would make this thread pointless)

There were 2 choices of hard tops in the beginning. One was the MIC, which was the cheaper of the two and the grayish looking one.

Then there was the MOD that was the more expensive, came standard in gloss black paint, but could also be opted for body color.

When Webasto couldn't get their stuff together, Ford pulled the MOD top contract and went out looking for a different company. Sounds like they found one but it's going to take time for them to get up to speed.

Meanwhile Webasto is the only company turning out hard tops, and those are the MIC, and almost every single one of them has some sort of flaw.

If you are getting a bronco this year, or as it stands right now the MIC, it will be coming from Webasto...like it or not.

On the other hand, if you wait for the MOD tops, they will NOT be coming from webasto, And they are supposed to be able to support the roof rails.

No ETA when those tops will be up and running.

Sponsored

Toffen

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are no non-webasto tops (well unless you are getting a soft top which would make this thread pointless)

There were 2 choices of hard tops in the beginning. One was the MIC, which was the cheaper of the two and the grayish looking one.

Then there was the MOD that was the more expensive, came standard in gloss black paint, but could also be opted for body color.

When Webasto couldn't get their stuff together, Ford pulled the MOD top contract and went out looking for a different company. Sounds like they found one but it's going to take time for them to get up to speed.

Meanwhile Webasto is the only company turning out hard tops, and those are the MIC, and almost every single one of them has some sort of flaw.

If you are getting a bronco this year, or as it stands right now the MIC, it will be coming from Webasto...like it or not.

On the other hand, if you wait for the MOD tops, they will NOT be coming from webasto, And they are supposed to be able to support the roof rails.

I don’t believe the issue is whether the MIC top can support the roof rails.
Non-SAS builds are able to order the rails with the current MIC top. (Most likely a high C of G issue)

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don’t believe the issue is whether the MIC top can support the roof rails.
Non-SAS builds are able to order the rails with the current MIC top. (Most likely a high C of G issue)
Yes rails weren’t an option on 4D MIC Sasquatch models with the 2.7. Before I finalized my order I made sure the dealer confirmed with Ford that I would be able to add the rails on myself to the MIC top, which he did confirm. I never would have expected it to cost $1800 for rails though- that’s just insane and totally stupid. I’m almost certain I saw 4D MIC SAS 2.7 models in their promo materials. Not having a way to strap a couple kayaks or bikes on my roof is not an option. I’ve been driving a truck and the only way I can compromise the amount of hauling space and drive a Bronco is if I have the ability to add the rails. If Ford can’t come up with a better solution than $1800 worth of separate parts, then hopefully there will be an aftermarket solution. Just another frustrating part about this rollout…

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for clarifying. I had forgotten they call the painted top the MOD. Didn’t know webasto was still making the tops. I’m curious who makes the hard tops for the wranglers?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for clarifying. I had forgotten they call the painted top the MOD. Didn’t know webasto was still making the tops. I’m curious who makes the hard tops for the wranglers?

I don't recall the details so this may be wrong, but thought the Jeep company IS the one that may have gotten the nee MOD contract.

And for the comments about the rails and the MIC..you are correct, but the dynamic load is really low (100lbs?) And frankly with the thin spots and problems of delamination on the MIC, not sure there they really would support a roof rack ;)

SouthernSparty

First Edition
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer, Fusion, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Part #M2DZ*9955100*BA

Have you parts rep call to confirm that the diagram matches the part #.

Unfortunately I'm in the group of folks that really wanted roof rails (and a roof platform) from the factory but wasn't able to option due my build being 4D 2.7 and SAS. I get that Ford doesn't want to take on the liability of the extra weight and a high COG in combination with a certain GVWR, but they have to know a lot of customers want to add them! Why are they making this difficult? Haven't been able to find much about purchasing the rails on my own and installing. They aren't listed as an accessory and I can't seem to find a part number for both rails as a kit or a price. Any info would be appreciated!
Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 2.16.02 PM.png

Sponsored

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Perhaps this may be helpful - I saw a thread here in the last three or four days where an aftermarket company company is developing a roof rack which works for soft and hardtops. They have one for Jeeps already. It's supported by the bumper in the rear and windshield frame in the front and rotates up and over backwards for removal. Caught my eye because I have a soft top. I'll hunt for that thread.

Edit - Here you go. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/gobi-racks-is-coming-for-the-bronco.24420/

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Perhaps this may be helpful - I saw a thread here in the last three or four days where an aftermarket company company is developing a roof rack which works for soft and hardtops. They have one for Jeeps already. It's supported by the bumper in the rear and windshield frame in the front and rotates up and over backwards for removal. Caught my eye because I have a soft top. I'll hunt for that thread.
Sounds like the Gobi racks

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

wizardoforange

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Part #M2DZ*9955100*BA

Have you parts rep call to confirm that the diagram matches the part #.

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 2.16.02 PM.png
This is the part number I have too. However, the parts guy at my Ford dealer looked it up for me and it is not available for order. Roof rails are much more important to me than push-button sway bar disconnect so I switched my order from Badlands SAS to Wildtrak. I figure I can manually disconnect the sway bar should the need ever arise. I have been playing with the "build and price" function on Ford's website, and there are a heck of a lot of other weird exclusions similar to the roof rails. I hope I get a VIN soon - I've had my order in for a year. The dealer assured me altering my order won't change my place in line and I hope he's right.
Sponsored