Sponsored

Lead time for replacement steering wheel?

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Went in for an oil change and had them look at stitching on the steering wheel and a catching door glass (rear passenger). The stitching on the steering wheel came untied and there is about 3” of unstitched area with threading frayed and sticking out an inch or so.

Surprisingly they didn’t attempt to repair stitching and want to order a replacement steering wheel. Don’t love the idea of them messing with the airbag but anyone else have this situation? They said back order but not sure if that’s 2 weeks or 4 months.

Separately, they didn’t realize there was a TSB on resetting the glass on the door so I suppose I’ll have them spend the day revisiting that when the steering wheel comes in.
Sponsored

dadjoke

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Big Bend 4-Door 2.7 MIC Auto Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I haven't had any steering wheel issues, but my front passenger seatbelt broke after a week having the Bronco. The dealership said that there were 2 replacement units in the country (U.S.), and that one would be shipped out immediately. I got my Bronco back after 10 days. Some of that was shipping delays, and I'm not going to put parts shortages as the fault of the dealer in any way (the staff was very understanding, kind, and professional). While I very much hope your part comes in soon.... you are probably looking at a long wait.

emaier

Outer Banks
First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Laramie
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had the same thing happen to my steering wheel, it took about 2 weeks for it to come in and about a 2 hour install.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The airbag is just two spring clips and two electrical connectors, extremely easy to remove. The rest of the steering wheel is another 2-3 electrical connectors and a single nut.

Super easy and I’d be willing to bet most people could do it themselves at home in less than 30-45 minutes to swap out. Should take a dealer technician no more than 10-15 minutes tops to do the swap.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The stupid window thing takes less than 30 minutes. Probably better to just do it yourself if your halfway handy, the dealer techs don’t take the time to really dial it in, 1mm makes all the difference.

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can you get the old steering wheel with the defective stitching from the dealer? If so I would be interested in purchasing from you.
Sponsored