First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What about your phone? That's in dirty environments, gets wet, food on it, dropped and it still works. Not much different.
And phones start to run like shit and get replaced every few years lol
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
And phones start to run like shit and get replaced every few years lol
most of that is from physical abuse and battery wear and number of apps installed (constant rewriting of memory). None should be an issue in a vehicle.

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if your worried about a screen failing you need to step away for you flip phone and CRT.

BroncoJeremie

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Fellas, you know you can get the satisfaction of a light bar with all the retro looks.

A little pricey but output is great, wind noise is actually non-existent, and c’mon modern tech in old school KC packaging. You can’t go wrong.

Also wired up to a missile launcher style switch to satisfy my inner 10 year old
Well depends a lot on location, as a person who's had 2 windshield mounted ones I can also say they can be loud as shit or non-existent depending on a lot of factors the jeep Wrangler I owned was extremely bad but my daily f150 isn't notice able as long as it's pointed currently

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just reading more on the Tesla touch screen issues.
its 100% related to the software being rewritten to many times on the memory. And it’s only on the early model.
CPUs have come a long way since 2010.

Escape_Artist

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just reading more on the Tesla touch screen issues.
its 100% related to the software being rewritten to many times on the memory. And it’s only on the early model.
CPUs have come a long way since 2010.
Where are you reading its only on the early model? Or from 2010?

These articles states the NHTSA is investigating Tesla Model S from 2012-2015 but that the same chip is used in Model S up to 2018 and in Model X cars 2016-2018.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/24/us-...odel-s-after-touchscreen-failure-reports.html

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/24/21301676/tesla-nhtsa-touchscreen-failure-investigation-model-s

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm buying a Ford because I live in a rural area & don't like the Jeep dealership. They're fine with mechanical troubleshooting, but software/sensor/chip issues are much tougher diagnostically. While it might be true that SOME of this is necessary in a modern vehicle, I believe it should be kept to a minimum, because problems are a PITA.

Color me dubious that tech won't be Bronco's Achilless heel; if TESLA is struggling with the tech, Ford will as well.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Where are you reading its only on the early model? Or from 2010?

These articles states the NHTSA is investigating Tesla Model S from 2012-2015 but that the same chip is used in Model S up to 2018 and in Model X cars 2016-2018.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/24/us-...odel-s-after-touchscreen-failure-reports.html

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/24/21301676/tesla-nhtsa-touchscreen-failure-investigation-model-s
yes 12-18. The chip was designed in 2010 however. Look how many intel processors and other computer generations have come out since 2010 tho. Technology is ever evolving and exponentially growing thing.

The iPad In 2010 had a 1ghz dual core A4 CPU with 256mbs of ram
now it has a 2.4ghz 8- core A12 CPU with 6GB of Ram

its exponentially better now And virtually does the same thing.

Sponsored

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
yes 12-18. The chip was designed in 2010 however. Look how many intel processors and other computer generations have come out since 2010 tho. Technology is ever evolving and exponentially growing thing.

The iPad In 2010 had a 1ghz dual core A4 CPU with 256mbs of ram
now it has a 2.4ghz 8- core A12 CPU with 6GB of Ram

its exponentially better now And virtually does the same thing.
My 2010 iPad doesn't work anymore. iOS abandoned the early generation. Apps are not functional anymore. It's junk.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

What about your phone? That's in dirty environments,
I mean, it's in my pocket when I'm not actively using it, and my pocket is pretty clean, save for a little bit of lint sometimes.

gets wet,
Not really, cause it's in my pocket.

food on it,

Not all that often, really, and usually a fall of less than 12 inches (onto a table) when it does.

But I also know a lot of people who have phones with massive cracks in the screen because they drop them all of the time.

and it still works. Not much different.
Well, my phone's not designed to be left outside in the rain, hail, sun, snow, ice, etc. That's why it stays in my pocket when I'm not using it.

And nobody's trying to say that one of the great things about my phone is that I can take the top off of it and drive it around, which would leave it even more directly exposed to all of those elements.

And if my phone does break (screen crack, software crash, whatever), it's not going to leave me with no access to certain potentially important features of my vehicle.

So yeah, it's a little bit different.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

most of that is from physical abuse and battery wear and number of apps installed (constant rewriting of memory). None should be an issue in a vehicle.
Ford will need to carefully select the right type of memory chips, consumer, automotive, industrial or military grades all handle a different number of read/write cycles. OTA updates will greatly increase the number of cycles needed. Here is one vendor who predicts 100 cycles is plenty for automotive, in ten years we will see if they are correct.
More relevantly to advanced automotive code-storage applications, data retention in an HQ serial NAND device subject to a maximum of 100 Program/Erase (P/E) cycles, and operating at a high temperature of 85°C, is 25 years. In an automotive application, code is highly unlikely to be subject to as many as 100 P/E cycles. Winbond test data also show that the devices support more than 15 years’ data retention at 70°C after 10,000 P/E cycles, which is comparable to the performance of NOR Flash products on the market today.
Automotive-grade SLC High Quality NAND Flash ICs provide new pathway to higher density at lower cost for application code storage
More info here:
Understanding Life Expectancy of Flash Storage

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford will need to carefully select the right type of memory chips
You seem to know a lot about this issue. Maybe you could do a J. D. North7 chip rating for all of us once more Bronco info becomes available.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I mean, it's in my pocket when I'm not actively using it, and my pocket is pretty clean, save for a little bit of lint sometimes.

Not all that often, really, and usually a fall of less than 12 inches (onto a table) when it does.

But I also know a lot of people who have phones with massive cracks in the screen because they drop them all of the time.

Well, my phone's not designed to be left outside in the rain, hail, sun, snow, ice, etc. That's why it stays in my pocket when I'm not using it.

And nobody's trying to say that one of the great things about my phone is that I can take the top off of it and drive it around, which would leave it even more directly exposed to all of those elements.

And if my phone does break (screen crack, software crash, whatever), it's not going to leave me with no access to certain potentially important features of my vehicle.

So yeah, it's a little bit different.
Can you overthink this just a little more? You may be that careful, but that's far from representing the average person. Ask any phone store how many come in for screen replacement. It's a big business. Some can't put their phone down long enough to eat and have food all over it. Ever wonder how many fall into the toilet? Try walking today in Phoenix and see if your phone works while safely in your pocket, it may not.
Sponsored