Sponsored

Leaked info on Bronco's technology: Off-Road Navigation, Adventure Capture, Real-Time Tire Pressure

78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I rented a new Chevrolet Envoy(or something) this week and it had an alert to check the backseat once you powered off the car. Not too intrusive but it's a sad state of the world if this has to be part of any package on a car in 2019. People must be idiots.
Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is not a new phenomenon it’s just become more in the public eye recently. I’m not excusing people who do it but the fact of the matter is that there is a sizable portion of people who are susceptible to this and to save 30-40 kids a year for zero intrusion into my own life I have no issues.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is not a new phenomenon it’s just become more in the public eye recently. I’m not excusing people who do it but the fact of the matter is that there is a sizable portion of people who are susceptible to this and to save 30-40 kids a year for zero intrusion into my own life I have no issues.
This is my stance on it, I have not had this occur, and don't know anyone who has, and pray that that remains so. but this is a very unobtrusive tech that could save the lives of 30+ children a year who haven't done anything wrong. Why do so many people seem to have a problem with that?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m not a parent.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
You two sound like the types that gladly sacrifice freedom and liberty for a modicum of perceived safety and security.
I have no idea what freedom and liberty I’m giving up by have a rear seat chime lmao. If you’re trying to draw a parallel to gun control then you’re talking to the wrong guy, I’m about as big of a 2A guy as you can get and am for repealing most of our gun laws so *shrug*

I mean it’s a pretty safe time to be a kid. This is the same as putting a fence around the pool. I have an acquaintance who just a few months ago her kid fell in the pool and barely survived. CPS didn’t take her kid away even though they probably should, she’d be the type of mom who would forget her kid in the car too. I don’t think her kid deserves a death sentence just because his mom’s a dumbass. While I’d say we should take him away in a lot of ways that complicates things and with how bad our foster care system is and there’s no guarantee a kid goes to a better home.

Sponsored

AUcruiser100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 CTS-V coupe 6M, 2003 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
Different train of thought for the Rear Seat Occupant Alert: If Ford gets spunky with the removable roof and offers a true open air experience, this may give them a liability pass if they say "Don't remove top when hauling rear passengers". If the sensor is being tripped by the rear occupant, perhaps the roof cannot be removed?

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This would be a very different conversation if I NEEDED a Bronco - but I don't. When you NEED something you're more open to compromise. For me, Bronco is only a whimsical desire...a "nice to have". But if the base model comes with too much electronic crap, no worries...Sayonara.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
And you don't see the irony in your posts considering an order of magnitude more children are killed by gun violence each year?
there’s zero irony because comparing the two is asinine. If people are really saying that seatbelt chimes and passenger sensors are “infringin muh freedoms” then that is ironic because it’s literally doing absolutely nothing to your freedoms.

edit: here’s how Hyundai’s system works, sounds pretty damn unobtrusive to me.

“Here's how the sensor-based Hyundai system works. First, when the driver gets out of the car, the dashboard displays a message reminding them to check the rear seats. If the car's ultrasonic sensor detects movement in the rear seat when the vehicle is parked and locked, the car's horn will honk and its lights will flash. If the driver's phone is connected through Hyundai's Blue Link telematics system, a text message will be sent to the phone that movement was detected in the car.”

Last edited:

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If the car's ultrasonic sensor detects movement in the rear seat when the vehicle is parked and locked, the car's horn will honk and its lights will flash.
That'd be my bird dog, nose out the opened window as I go for a latte. I would not own a car that does that.

Facial recognition software can also scan the driver & see if maybe he/she has the 'black ass' that day too. Just how far do you want technology intruding into your life?

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
That'd be my bird dog, nose out the opened window as I go for a latte. I would not own a car that does that.

Facial recognition software can also scan the driver & see if maybe he/she has the 'black ass' that day too. Just how far do you want technology intruding into your life?
Well then you’re never buying a car made after 2025 because all automakers have agreed to have this technology in all vehicles by that year. Hopefully you’re shopping for a clean ‘66-‘96 Bronco because they ain’t getting any cheaper.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here's the trendline....something gets invented...automakers & the government go for coffee...new stuff gets mandated in ALL vehicles....prices rise...Ford stock goes to $9 and bonds are downgraded to 'junk'.

One could opine that the government doesn't want us driving in the first place.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
One could opine that the government doesn't want us driving in the first place.
Yup that’s why the government spent BILLIONS of dollars bailing out FCA and GM 10 years ago. Because they don’t want us driving.

I can actually feel my IQ lowering reading some of this.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup that’s why the government bailed spent BILLIONS of dollars bailing out FCA and GM 10 years ago. Because they don’t want us driving.

I can actually feel my IQ lowering reading some of this.
I would say that the government is stuck on its own internal rock and hard place. they don't want us driving, but they want cars to be sold. So, we'll end up with mandated auto-driving cars as soon as it can be made feasible.

I actually could see an agreeable solution to this. during certain hours, say 5am-7pm, no people driven vehicles allowed in in metropolitan areas, and no people driven cars on interstates 24hr during workweeks. which is fine, because for those who get a joy out of driving, it is typically not during rush hour traffic or droning in a straight line for 12 hours at 75mph. It is at the tail, or some other 2-lane backroad twisty, or even some 2-lane stretch through west Texas and New Mexico (I rather enjoyed those as well)
Sponsored

Last edited: