Sponsored

Leaked info on Bronco's technology: Off-Road Navigation, Adventure Capture, Real-Time Tire Pressure

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You captured my feelings on the topic pretty well. People should be held accountable for their decisions, conscious or not, and not expect big brother to absolve them of their responsibility through legislation.
Yes, but in the case of backseat roasting babies, it isn't the parent that pays the price. It's a defenseless infant. Should a warning system fail and a child die despite the system, sure - I fully expect the carmaker will face liability. But that parent won't be any less guilty of forgetting their kid in the back of the car.

In a country of nearly 330,000,000 people, 38 deaths per year (from the link that was posted earlier) is nothing. There are much more pressing public safety and health matters that could, and should, be addressed, but they are conveniently ignored since they haven't been sensationalized in the media spotlight and perhaps don't pull on the heart strings quite like infants baking in cars.
Yes, but can any of those "more pressing public safety and health matters" be impacted by Ford engineers putting a chime and a light on a dashboard? And even if they can, it's not as if this effort is taking away any energy from resolving all the other issues - it isn't a zero-sum equation. It's not as if every engineer at Ford is working on this project, nor would all the engineers at Ford be spending their energy searching for a cure for breast cancer if they weren't frittering away their time improving child safety systems. Humans can solve more than one problem at a time.

There are plenty of things parents do that aren't "right" or "bad" for their children. Many parents do a terrible job raising their kids and allow them to engage in dangerous activities. We can't save all kids from stupid or complacent parents, and it is really sad, but that's the way life is.
Again, can Ford have an impact on any of those other poor parenting practices? They identified this one as an issue they could possibly make a dent in. Should they instead say, "any idiot who leaves their kid in a hot car is probably going to kill that kid one way or another eventually, so let's pass on trying to save those 38 kids a year"?

The cynic in me makes me think this new system has less to do with actually saving kids than it has to do with appealing to parents and making a new vehicle family friendly. How many grandparents will loan their millennial children money for a downpayment on a new car, and will safety features like this influence financial decisions at that level?

Yes, I'll be somewhat annoyed if the thing regularly falses. So does the "key not detected" double-tap on the horn probably one in five times my passenger gets out of the car before I do (the key virtually lives in my pocket). I roll my eyes and move on, because I assign priorities to what I allow myself to be triggered by.
Sponsored

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You captured my feelings on the topic pretty well. People should be held accountable for their decisions, conscious or not, and not expect big brother to absolve them of their responsibility through legislation. I don't mind public education efforts (i.e. tobacco causes cancer, seat belts save lives, don't let you baby sleep on its stomach, etc.), but ultimately it should be the individuals choice to heed these warnings and ultimately bear the responsibility of their decisions.

I have a fundamental problem with government (or in this case car companies) trying to save me from myself. I agree that it is absolutely tragic that children are dying because their parents are so careless and selfish that their children are not the top priority on their mind. In a country of nearly 330,000,000 people, 38 deaths per year (from the link that was posted earlier) is nothing. There are much more pressing public safety and health matters that could, and should, be addressed, but they are conveniently ignored since they haven't been sensationalized in the media spotlight and perhaps don't pull on the heart strings quite like infants baking in cars.

I think it is funny how anything the media hypes suddenly becomes a national crises, yet bigger problems are happily ignored because they aren't on the 24 hour news cycle...

There are plenty of things parents do that aren't "right" or "bad" for their children. Many parents do a terrible job raising their kids and allow them to engage in dangerous activities. We can't save all kids from stupid or complacent parents, and it is really sad, but that's the way life is.
Haha!! I'm surprised all new cars don't come with "Orange man bad." license plate frames!

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes, but in the case of backseat roasting babies, it isn't the parent that pays the price. It's a defenseless infant. Should a warning system fail and a child die despite the system, sure - I fully expect the carmaker will face liability. But that parent won't be any less guilty of forgetting their kid in the back of the car.

Yes, but can any of those "more pressing public safety and health matters" be impacted by Ford engineers putting a chime and a light on a dashboard? And even if they can, it's not as if this effort is taking away any energy from resolving all the other issues - it isn't a zero-sum equation. It's not as if every engineer at Ford is working on this project, nor would all the engineers at Ford be spending their energy searching for a cure for breast cancer if they weren't frittering away their time improving child safety systems. Humans can solve more than one problem at a time.

Again, can Ford have an impact on any of those other poor parenting practices? They identified this one as an issue they could possibly make a dent in. Should they instead say, "any idiot who leaves their kid in a hot car is probably going to kill that kid one way or another eventually, so let's pass on trying to save those 38 kids a year"?

The cynic in me makes me think this new system has less to do with actually saving kids than it has to do with appealing to parents and making a new vehicle family friendly. How many grandparents will loan their millennial children money for a downpayment on a new car, and will safety features like this influence financial decisions at that level?

Yes, I'll be somewhat annoyed if the thing regularly falses. So does the "key not detected" double-tap on the horn probably one in five times my passenger gets out of the car before I do (the key virtually lives in my pocket). I roll my eyes and move on, because I assign priorities to what I allow myself to be triggered by.
Meh....if automakers really wanted to save babies lives....they'd install those breathalyzer start up things in all cars. What...it's only 10 seconds of inconvenience to all the people that don't drink and then drive. Think of all the innocents that'll be saved.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Look how the sealtbelt alert is displayed here in the Mach E. Might give clues to how the tech in the Bronco will work

Sponsored

FstFrd00

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gunsmithingtx.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I truly hope the broncobronco doesn't have an oversized screen like that as it, IMO, is quite ugly. That's just my opinion though. Not ugly enough to keep me from buying though. I am OK with the additional tech offered as long as it doesn't "steal" data and send it to Ford or the .gov without prior approval from the owner(s).

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It won't have a screen like that. Ford is copying Tesla on this. I would expect a nice, clean layout and modest screen.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It won't have a screen like that. Ford is copying Tesla on this. I would expect a nice, clean layout and modest screen.
That would be a huge relief. Maybe it looks better in person, but that tablet in the Mach-E looks like an afterthought from the pictures posted.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That would be a huge relief
I agree...but the worry is - if Ford f'd up a major new product like Mach E, what the heck is in store for Bronco?

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That would be a huge relief. Maybe it looks better in person, but that tablet in the Mach-E looks like an afterthought from the pictures posted.
I get the impression it's a shared cross-model design choice. The Explorer also has the detached or "floating" screen aesthetic.

I get what they're aiming for, but it would be a horrid choice for most trucks or the Bronco.

Cross your fingers.

Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m usually in the “more tech” crowd, but I agree that that screen is just too much. I really hope that isn’t in the Bronco

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I get the impression it's a shared cross-model design choice. The Explorer also has the detached or "floating" screen aesthetic.

I get what they're aiming for, but it would be a horrid choice for most trucks or the Bronco.

Cross your fingers.
Ah, I hadn't seen the Explorer. Yes, finger-crossing is warranted.

FstFrd00

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gunsmithingtx.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Cross your fingers.

ahhh crud.....

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm willing to bet, the F150 and bronco will have a more integrated design, like ram. The reason I say that, is the target market for those vehicles, is more traditional, older people. The new crossovers are more targeted at young "hip" people.
Sponsored