Hornet

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've been extending the lease on my Explorer - Bronco build was July now Aug. currently with the strong market for used cars it appears my payoff to buy the Explorer is thousands $$$ less than Kelley blue book trade in value. Anyone buy their Lease vehicle then trade it it?
Sponsored

JeebusCripes

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜94 M998, ā€˜89 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep! Iā€™d check out sale prices vs what you would owe if you took ownership. Donā€™t forget to take into consideration taxes. But based on used car prices now Iā€™d consider it for sure!!

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been extending the lease on my Explorer - Bronco build was July now Aug. currently with the strong market for used cars it appears my payoff to buy the Explorer is thousands $$$ less than Kelley blue book trade in value. Anyone buy their Lease vehicle then trade it it?
Almost everyone that has a lease expiring right now has positive equity in their vehicle and would be crazy to not buy out the lease and then sell the vehicle (get quotes from carvana, vroom, and carmax because they're going to offer more than your dealership).

If you simply turn it in you're likely giving up thousands of dollars in equity.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
See what givemethevin will give you. You might be able to straight sell it to them then youā€™ll get a check back.

Myrandar

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes A220
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yep. I bought my lease out for about 15500 and the carmax offered me 18000 for it. ended up trading it in to the dealer for the tax credit so ended up getting about 18400 for it.

Sponsored

CTS-V

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac CTS-V
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You donā€™t have to buy the lease out. Just trade it in and the dealer or carmax or vroom will pay off the lease company. You will avoid paying tax on the lease buyout.

I just got done doing this with my CTSV lease. With the crazy used car values I ended up with $20K equity, so I dumped that equity into a new car purchase.

OP
OP
Hornet

Hornet

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You donā€™t have to buy the lease out. Just trade it in and the dealer or carmax or vroom will pay off the lease company. You will avoid paying tax on the lease buyout.

I just got done doing this with my CTSV lease. With the crazy used car values I ended up with $20K equity, so I dumped that equity into a new car purchase.
I won't need to buy lease out its expiring. But it's my understanding I need to exercise the option to buy it in order to sell it.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I won't need to buy lease out its expiring. But it's my understanding I need to exercise the option to buy it in order to sell it.
I believe a place like carmax will handle all of that. They will buy it out from the leasing company and then cut you a check for any equity you have in it. But I'm not 100% sure. I'm in the same boat and going to look into it as well

CTS-V

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac CTS-V
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You Do not need to exercise the option to buy it in order to sell it. Like I said, any other dealership or online car buying service will give you an offer, if itā€™s above your lease buyout then you are in an equity position. The other dealership or online car buying service will cut you a check for the difference between their offer and your lease buyout. They will be responsible for paying off the lease buyout.

For example, and I just did this this week. My CTSV lease was up this November. I have been tracking KBB values on my car for several months, watching the KBB values continue to go up. I knew I was in a substantial equity position because I knew what my lease buyout was from Cadillac. So, once I found my new car, I got appraisals from Carmax and Vroom, and an offer from the Mercedes dealership where I bought my car. The carmax and vroom offers were fairly close to KBB, the Mercedes dealership matched those offers, so I went with trading with Mercedes to get tax savings on the new purchase. So, essentially my offers from Carmax, vroom, and the dealership were $20K higher than my Cadillac lease buyout, so I came out with $20K to use for my new car.

You do not want to buy your leased vehicle and then turn around and sell it. You will pay sales tax to purchase your lease buyout. Thatā€™s money wasted.

Sponsored

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
You Do not need to exercise the option to buy it in order to sell it. Like I said, any other dealership or online car buying service will give you an offer, if itā€™s above your lease buyout then you are in an equity position. The other dealership or online car buying service will cut you a check for the difference between their offer and your lease buyout. They will be responsible for paying off the lease buyout.

For example, and I just did this this week. My CTSV lease was up this November. I have been tracking KBB values on my car for several months, watching the KBB values continue to go up. I knew I was in a substantial equity position because I knew what my lease buyout was from Cadillac. So, once I found my new car, I got appraisals from Carmax and Vroom, and an offer from the Mercedes dealership where I bought my car. The carmax and vroom offers were fairly close to KBB, the Mercedes dealership matched those offers, so I went with trading with Mercedes to get tax savings on the new purchase. So, essentially my offers from Carmax, vroom, and the dealership were $20K higher than my Cadillac lease buyout, so I came out with $20K to use for my new car.

You do not want to buy your leased vehicle and then turn around and sell it. You will pay sales tax to purchase your lease buyout. Thatā€™s money wasted.
A Forum member stated that Carvana, among others, required 60 days to a complete lease buyout. Did you come across any timeframe restrictions?

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
used prices are dropping like a rock and an article I read says it will be down to about a 10% premium (from a high of around 30%) in a month or so due to supply catching up. If you are going to do it, do it now.

OP
OP
Hornet

Hornet

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

20k that'sAwesome!! My Ford dealer told me they are prohibited from buying the car from me - said it's outside their window to do so. I'll definitely look into vroom and caravana.
thank you.

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We are literally in the process of doing this now. However, if the lease is through Ford Motor Credit (or whatever it's called) Carmax, Carvana, etc etc won't buy it out. We are having to pay cash for the vehicle (and fortunate enough to be able to do so) but then will turn around and sell it.

OP
OP
Hornet

Hornet

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We are literally in the process of doing this now. However, if the lease is through Ford Motor Credit (or whatever it's called) Carmax, Carvana, etc etc won't buy it out. We are having to pay cash for the vehicle (and fortunate enough to be able to do so) but then will turn around and sell it.
That's what I was told, would need to buy out lease. Which means paying the taxes.
Sponsored