Sponsored

Legality of aftermarket clear ceramic coating on windshield.

BigBendBilly

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I live in Texas and am interested in having clear ceramic coating applied to my windshield that substantially reduces heat and UV. One person said that somehow a cop noticed it, pulled him over and gave him a citation but the court threw the case out and he was not charged. Anyone with similar experience with this clear windshield coating and the laws?
Sponsored

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'
I live in Texas and am interested in having clear ceramic coating applied to my windshield that substantially reduces heat and UV. One person said that somehow a cop noticed it, pulled him over and gave him a citation but the court threw the case out and he was not charged. Anyone with similar experience with this clear windshield coating and the laws?
I've never heard of that! In Illinois, you can get a ticket an obstructed windshield, like having dice hanging from the rearview mirror or tint. So if the ceramic coating is clear, it's not blocking one's view.

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A cop would only notice if the color was changed. Clear UV is clear, typically. At least it is on my vehicles, completely transparent. You cannot "see" that it's tinted with the naked eye.

Windshield Tint Limitations
The Lone Star State requires windshield glass to allow at least 70% of outdoor light to enter vehicles. A tinted windshield must also have a luminous reflectance level that doesn’t exceed 25 percent. This number indicates the amount of light reflected by a window. Texas has banned red, amber and blue tints. Texas law allows for the entire front windshield to be filmed/tinted with a “clear” un- tinted film that does not visibly alter or color the glass when viewed in natural daylight. In addition, a visor strip may be added to the top of the front windshield. The visor strip cannot fall below the AS-1 line that is marked on the windshield. If an AS-1 line is not present then the legal limit is no more than five inches from the top of the windshield.

Dirtyjed

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Dmax, 86 FunRunnah, Tiyoda truggy, Honda shi
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Even in CA we can get away with 70% on windshields.
I was amazed at how much cooler it made a vehicle, even in a hundred and Africa dear God make the sun go away heat.

Sponsored

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

that person was probably talking about the “ceramic” window tint

OP
OP

BigBendBilly

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A cop would only notice if the color was changed. Clear UV is clear, typically. At least it is on my vehicles, completely transparent. You cannot "see" that it's tinted with the naked eye.

Windshield Tint Limitations
The Lone Star State requires windshield glass to allow at least 70% of outdoor light to enter vehicles. A tinted windshield must also have a luminous reflectance level that doesn’t exceed 25 percent. This number indicates the amount of light reflected by a window. Texas has banned red, amber and blue tints. Texas law allows for the entire front windshield to be filmed/tinted with a “clear” un- tinted film that does not visibly alter or color the glass when viewed in natural daylight. In addition, a visor strip may be added to the top of the front windshield. The visor strip cannot fall below the AS-1 line that is marked on the windshield. If an AS-1 line is not present then the legal limit is no more than five inches from the top of the windshield.
Thank you!

JonD79

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Are you talking about a clear film like a PPF style install or are you talking about a chemical ceramic coating for glass? I cant see there being anything with the chemical as that is not going to make any difference in the look of the glass. As it's only around 2-3microns thick. It's just going to help with sheeting off the water and not offer any actual protection of road debris and such.
Sponsored