Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Edit: sorry this should be in a different topic area

While waiting for a Bronco, I've been spending time fixing my 1972 Land Rover. Because the Rover has only lap belts, I was trying (without much luck) to determine the exact legality/compliance with Illinois seat belt regulations.

Anyway, while reviewing the 2021 Illinois rules of the road (link further below), I noticed this regulation:

"Televisions or Video — Televisions or video recording monitors that can be seen from the driver’s seat are prohibited while the vehicle is in motion. Watching or streaming a live video on a cellphone is a violation of Illinois law."

I wonder how this might apply to the Bronco video screen with it's cameras? The screen camera functionality can be seen while in motion. On the other hand, this regulation seems antiquated in terminology such as "television". Also, we have backup camera functionality widespread already, and that can be viewed while in motion.

So maybe there is no issue whatsoever, operating the Bronco camera functionality while driving in any state? Or per this particular regulation, if you hooked "video recording" to the system and the monitor was displaying while in motion, that could be an issue per text of the regulation?

Note, I'm absolutely NOT a rule and regulation kind of guy, lol. But just struck me reading the entire regulation document, there were some questionable items in the document, that could potentially be used against a driver.

Illinois Rules Of The Road 2021: https://www.ilsos.gov/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_a112.pdf
Sponsored

rustedgoat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
The cameras are not displaying a "video" but a live view similar to a mirror. I'm sure lawyers will come up with their own definition.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Edit: sorry this should be in a different topic area

While waiting for a Bronco, I've been spending time fixing my 1972 Land Rover. Because the Rover has only lap belts, I was trying (without much luck) to determine the exact legality/compliance with Illinois seat belt regulations.

Anyway, while reviewing the 2021 Illinois rules of the road (link further below), I noticed this regulation:

"Televisions or Video — Televisions or video recording monitors that can be seen from the driver’s seat are prohibited while the vehicle is in motion. Watching or streaming a live video on a cellphone is a violation of Illinois law."

I wonder how this might apply to the Bronco video screen with it's cameras? The screen camera functionality can be seen while in motion. On the other hand, this regulation seems antiquated in terminology such as "television". Also, we have backup camera functionality widespread already, and that can be viewed while in motion.

So maybe there is no issue whatsoever, operating the Bronco camera functionality while driving in any state? Or per this particular regulation, if you hooked "video recording" to the system and the monitor was displaying while in motion, that could be an issue per text of the regulation?

Note, I'm absolutely NOT a rule and regulation kind of guy, lol. But just struck me reading the entire regulation document, there were some questionable items in the document, that could potentially be used against a driver.

Illinois Rules Of The Road 2021: https://www.ilsos.gov/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_a112.pdf
It’s just another way for the state of Illinois to collect money via revenue collectors. Since your rovers a 72 shouldn’t it be grand fathered in as a collectors item?

Easy-v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fellinois sucks, and the laws are so poorly written a fourth grader could do better.
can’t wait to leave this state

splathead

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Acord
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

I wonder how this might apply to the Bronco video screen with it's cameras?
You're reading it too liberally. otherwise backup cameras, now legally required in all vehicles, would be illegal. They are referring to actual TV over the airwaves, or CD's playing in CD players. Nothing more.

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'd think the easy way around that is just to list the live camera views as 'off-road' features.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
As much as I love to bash the idiotic laws in my home state that law has nothing to do with these cameras.
Sponsored