First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's funny, watching him drive it, I thought, wow, thats why I never want another manual in a 4x4 (I know how to drive one, having had 3 manual Broncos, 1 F-150 (custom ordered) and a Jeep LJ all manual). It's such a pain in the ass, the seating position vs. shifter does not look optimal with a rear passenger and it often makes modulating the throttle difficult, because you can need to shift at the same time you want to alter the throttle. Taking the performance hit with the manual also doesn't add up for me. To each their own, but don't think my choice is based on my inability to drive a manual :)

I loved the quote-"This is as good or better than my $10K Icon suspension in my 4Runner." You could tell he was thinking, this is way better than my $10k Icon suspension in my 4Runner!

I agree and would add you can’t stand on the brake and the gas at the same time. Something I find myself doing on inclines or decline and to transfer from stop to power quickly to maneuver an obstacle. I also can drive stick but automatic is a significant advantage off-road.
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would definitely like more information about this clutch type locking differential. Was he only referring to the front locker?

How long you planning to wait?

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The advanced transfer case can alter front to rear differential, but my understanding of the axles, they are electronic locking and when locked, no differential action is possible. Unlocked, the GOAT system can use the abs to simulate some aspects of a “limited slip”. Maybe that’s what he was referring to?
Revisiting this after watching a review on the Bronco Sport.
If you watch this video (at around 5:35) you'll see he engages the rear locker - but it doesn't truly lock...

This is what I'm concerned about after that KOH video. If the full size Bronco is using the same tech, I'm wondering if we should be worried about these lockers not performing the way we expect.

Sponsored

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Revisiting this after watching a review on the Bronco Sport.
If you watch this video (at around 5:35) you'll see he engages the rear locker - but it doesn't truly lock...

This is what I'm concerned about after that KOH video. If the full size Bronco is using the same tech, I'm wondering if we should be worried about these lockers not performing the way we expect.
As for the technical workings, I have no idea, but I will say there are tons of hardcore wheeling videos out there. Moab, etc.

now as for longevity and highly modified rigs... who knows

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is not. The Bronco Sport is an Escape derivative. The Bronco is a Ranger mi-size derivative. Bronco uses a solid axle, electronic locking differential. It locks 100% unless you exceed 20mph, then it auto unlocks and re-engages under 20 mph. Also works in 2wd, which is somewhat unique to the Ford set up/application. I have had them in my last three f-150s.

Edit- here is an explanation that describes the Sport differential options.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ford-bronco-sport-escape-suspension-awd-systems-explained/

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is not. The Bronco Sport is an Escape derivative. The Bronco is a Ranger mi-size derivative. Bronco uses a solid axle, electronic locking differential. It locks 100% unless you exceed 20mph, then it auto unlocks and re-engages under 20 mph. Also works in 2wd, which is somewhat unique to the Ford set up/application. I have had them in my last three f-150s.
I'm more referring to the front locker.
Obviously the Bronco Sport review is showing it's rear locker, but combined with the mention in the KOH video that the Bronco front locker allows for some slip "when it needs it", I'm wondering if there's anything to be concerned about.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm more referring to the front locker.
Obviously the Bronco Sport review is showing it's rear locker, but combined with the mention in the KOH video that the Bronco front locker allows for some slip "when it needs it", I'm wondering if there's anything to be concerned about.
Same on the front. Bronco is an electronic locking Dana 210 Adventek, not Torsen (Raptor) or Electronic LS (Bronco Sport). Edit- Assuming you have a model or trim with front locker*

dPhilpott

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The most impressive thing about all these videos is that Ford actually allowed this to happen. Think about the risk of running these vehicles constantly over multiple days and abusing them with customers in them and filming. One breakdown, no matter how minor, would be a huge deal.

That shows some serious confidence in the product.
You will not see land rover do that.
Sponsored