jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Here you go. Really focused on the heavier trims and 4 dr, making my way from the heaviest trim down. The number of things Ford lockouts per trim tells us the order of the heaviest trims. So I ranked them based on what’s locked out...then you could see my estimated weight lookup for those trims which corresponds to the second chart.

just messing around making sense of what information we have to put the pieces back together. So don’t by any means hold me to this stuff. But one thing that’s obvious is the ranking of trims based on lockouts.

it seems to me, we could get manageable 800-900 payload with the GVWR cap for most of the heavier 4 drs, with the exception of badlands and black diamond. The path of least resistance to fix this is for Ford to change the steel bumpers to another type of metal as a quick fix in 2022 for those specific trims. That’s my prediction for 2022.
Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all B3678D44-BF7D-4479-BECD-6EF3E95C7D84

Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all F48627A5-3F28-4898-A0F8-701AA901A196

spot checking 2.7 non Sas BL, and OBX. Pretty close. Also including assumptions for added armor

Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all F27EB407-7865-4269-B5BB-09EC402D1EE4

Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all 6F2CD91A-3DB4-4D8D-A632-C58E368CC58D

Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all C4CE4192-45DB-4302-9BBB-3BAFF53A1295

As far as my build goes. I’m steering way clear of the 2.7 non sas BL 4 door. Could either go 2.7 OBX with 33.2” tires and steel bumper (to give appearance of lift). But what I’m estimating is that those E load tires plus gearing plus steel bumper and bash plates puts me at about the same weight as an OBX sas with no steel parts given 35s are C load and only marginally heavier than my 33s upgrade on the non sas.

So in between those two builds. Really glad I did this because the numbers really do imply that getting an inbetweener 2.7 non sas BL is going to bite you in the ass when it comes to payload.

Going to test drive a Raptor this weekend with the wife. It looks to have the same step in height, and of course C load 35s (but ko2).

In summary, the armor really messes you up here. So be careful if you’re choosing some type of BL or BD build as a family hauler. Just my recommendation
Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all 300C31F1-ED27-401E-94CE-EFE34F6AABBC

Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all 64B543A7-7A0C-47E0-B95C-D9B0DE143408
Sponsored

Last edited:

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
BTW those lockouts are spelled out clearly in the PDF ordering guide from a couple months ago. And is consistent with BnP. So while Ford says BnP isn’t that dynamic. Its somewhat bullshit. It’s a political statement - technically true but misleading.

These various items locked out were clearly thought out when you think about the options and associated weight. And it’s more than just the racks. Multiple items come into play which are or are not locked out based on trim. Everything else is a DIO accessory and doesn’t come into play.

so some truth about Ford statement is I believe the lockouts are based on getting the highest level package offered (mid/high/lux). My number above assumes the highest weight based on package available, especially since I’m working down from the FE with a lux package. For example my weight deduction from an FE to badlands was the brush guard, and from BL to OBX, the armor etc.

But what really comes into play here is 1. Steel parts, 2. Tires/suspension/axles, and 3. 150 lb increase from a 2.3 to a 2.7.

so sure Ford could say it’s not dynamic enough to know if your have 50 additional lbs to go from mid to lux. But what BnP is factoring are the things that really move the needle — 200+ of armor, 100+ lb axles/tires, 150 lb engine upgrade. And whether or not you have enough payload left for weight on the roof. So yes, a true statement from Ford, but you could read right through the weight issues when you look at the numbers and see how negatively impacted certain trims are when it comes to payload.

ok. I’m satisfied here with this analysis and calling it a day with GVWR. Down to two trims that make sense. And it’s not the badlands....

Last edited:

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was washing my stang today and decided to look at the GVWR sticker for kicks.

It has a payload of 700lbs

I’m sure I’ve exceeded that every time I’ve had 4 passengers in it. Not once has it ever affected my vehicle dynamics in any noticeable way. I certainly never felt unsafe.

There are probably so many factors of safety built into it. I plan on handling it on my bronco the same way I’ve been handling it in my stang. Not giving two craps about it lol ??‍♂

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was washing my stang today and decided to look at the GVWR sticker for kicks.

It has a payload of 700lbs

I’m sure I’ve exceeded that every time I’ve had 4 passengers in it. Not once has it ever affected my vehicle dynamics in any noticeable way. I certainly never felt unsafe.

There are probably so many factors of safety built into it. I plan on handling it on my bronco the same way I’ve been handling it in my stang. Not giving two craps about it lol ??‍♂
Yeah I’m good too. If I get 850+ I’d be comfortable as I probably won’t exceed it THAT much when loaded up. And after knowing all this, I’ve come to terms with forgoing the rack. It comes into play often on lock out. And if you think about it, a cargo box is attached a rack screwed on to a shell, that it bolted to the mid section of the car. That’s why it’s limited to 110 lbs and locked out in many trims. So I’ve convinced myself to just load up the interior as need be even it it blocks some view. Sasquatch comes back into play, if that specific build gets decent payload. 850 payload and no rack with everything loaded up inside would have me less worried than say a trim with 900-950 available payload that allowed for a rack, and opted me to add a loaded box strapped on top.

Last edited:

J Jernigan

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can anyone make out this GVWR number??

Upper right corner, upper sticker. Tried on my iPhone to make adjustments but may need better software.

I looks like either 5720 or 5730. This is for a 4 door BL 2 dr Sasquatch. It’s odd. The curb weight should be almost 5100 by Ford. Yet payload is 816, implying a GVWR of 59xx.But the GVWR looks like 57xx
Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all 64B543A7-7A0C-47E0-B95C-D9B0DE143408
what vehicle is this? 2 or 4 door? Engine and trim? Above it says 4 and then 2 door.

Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
what vehicle is this? 2 or 4 door? Engine and trim? Above it says 4 and then 2 door.
Sorry. It’s a 2 door BL sas. Presumably 2.7 given the payload.

J Jernigan

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry. It’s a 2 door BL sas. Presumably 2.7 given the payload.
I thought it was a two door as it appears that the rear quarter is behind the sticker.
hey im not faulting you at all! I took a hard look at your spreadsheet and my head hurt just reading it, I can only imagine making it.! ?
thanks!

BronkoNagurski

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think it's unacceptable the payload is so low you can't even fill every seat with a person.
Totally agree, that's one of my worries. I won't be loading a bunch of gear or anything, but having to worry about loading up some friends and trail riding or something? I feel like that's what the Bronco is all about.

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I understand some people’s concern but doesn’t everyone get that this is a fully ARTIFICIAL, SELF IMPOSED weight limit?

Ford chose to be in Class 1 (< 6000 lbs). No government agency came to Ford, inspected the vehicle and said, ”based on your design and functional capabilities, the Bronco must be in class 1 and therefore your max weight limit is 6,000lbs.” Ford CHOSE to be in class 1 on their own, and solely so they could be “in the same class“ as Jeep. But if Ford didn’t change one single thing on the Bronco and tomorrow decided to change to class 2 (6,001 to 10,000 lbs) that same exact rig with no structural changes would likely be be allowed to be in Class 2 and be able to have a massive payload - WITH NO CHANGES TO DESIGN.

So be real - the truck itself CAN handle some extra weight. No matter what class it’s in, just don’t drive crazy with stupid weight on board.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
BTW those lockouts are spelled out clearly in the PDF ordering guide from a couple months ago. And is consistent with BnP. So while Ford says BnP isn’t that dynamic. Its somewhat bullshit. It’s a political statement - technically true but misleading.

These various items locked out were clearly thought out when you think about the options and associated weight. And it’s more than just the racks. Multiple items come into play which are or are not locked out based on trim. Everything else is a DIO accessory and doesn’t come into play.

so some truth about Ford statement is I believe the lockouts are based on getting the highest level package offered (mid/high/lux). My number above assumes the highest weight based on package available, especially since I’m working down from the FE with a lux package. For example my weight deduction from an FE to badlands was the brush guard, and from BL to OBX, the armor etc.

But what really comes into play here is 1. Steel parts, 2. Tires/suspension/axles, and 3. 150 lb increase from a 2.3 to a 2.7.

so sure Ford could say it’s not dynamic enough to know if your have 50 additional lbs to go from mid to lux. But what BnP is factoring are the things that really move the needle — 200+ of armor, 100+ lb axles/tires, 150 lb engine upgrade. And whether or not you have enough payload left for weight on the roof. So yes, a true statement from Ford, but you could read right through the weight issues when you look at the numbers and see how negatively impacted certain trims are when it comes to payload.

ok. I’m satisfied here with this analysis and calling it a day with GVWR. Down to two trims that make sense. And it’s not the badlands....
Thank you for your analysis. Very helpful. One additional thought.

If you are concern about GVWR, you might want to understand any differences in the weight of the MIC top versus the Shadow Black Mod top. If Ford was aware of any GVWR concerns months ago, the late availability of the Mod top might have been part of their GVWR management plan.

Having experience in the field of high-end fiberglass ocean kayaks, painted fiberglass is significantly heavier than unpainted molded-in color.

Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand some people’s concern but doesn’t everyone get that this is a fully ARTIFICIAL, SELF IMPOSED weight limit?

Ford chose to be in Class 1 (< 6000 lbs). No government agency came to Ford, inspected the vehicle and said, ”based on your design and functional capabilities, the Bronco must be in class 1 and therefore your max weight limit is 6,000lbs.” Ford CHOSE to be in class 1 on their own, and solely so they could be “in the same class“ as Jeep. But if Ford didn’t change one single thing on the Bronco and tomorrow decided to change to class 2 (6,001 to 10,000 lbs) that same exact rig with no structural changes would likely be be allowed to be in Class 2 and be able to have a massive payload - WITH NO CHANGES TO DESIGN.

So be real - the truck itself CAN handle some extra weight. No matter what class it’s in, just don’t drive crazy with stupid weight on board.
That is why the GVWR of 6000 lbs makes no sense. They could have easily made it 6500 lbs, hell, even 6200 lbs and everyone would be happy.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That is why the GVWR of 6000 lbs makes no sense. They could have easily made it 6500 lbs, hell, even 6200 lbs and everyone would be happy.
Making sense to the marketing division is not the same thing as making sense to the vehicle designers and end-users.

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I definitely dont NEED E. I want C, for obvious reasons. But this is the best I could do given size/tire limitations on 18s.
Have you thought about sizing the wheel down? I'm actually considering these Krawlers by BFGoodrich that are rated C. They fit a 17 inch wheel, but I'd go down to a 15 inch wheel if I could get away with it.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hey guys just checking back in, how's progress going on this front?

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey guys just checking back in, how's progress going on this front?
Ton of progress. At least on our estimations, and seeing what BnP is locking out. scroll up.
Sponsored