broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone with a family and Gear, or campers and overlanders, or towers or just anyone really should be concerned about the Bronco high weight and its likely low GVWR. The fact that the First edition can’t have a hitch, that Sasquatch can’t get a roof rack, and that a stock Badlands can’t either when you put the 2.7 on it tells a lot. It’s definitely not a height issue (can’t be for the hitch, or the low Badland on 33s). So it’s a weight issue.

I want to know the GVWR and payload or GVWR and curb weight for each trim so I can make the right decision when ordering. If you want too, then here is the solution:

Anybody with a Twitter account here, myself included, please ask Mr Levine about this. If he gets the question 50 times he will answer.

GVWR = curb weight + payload, so we need any combination of 2. For all trim and engine combinations.

example: can you please provide GVWR and curb weight for EACH trim and each engine combination? We need this before ordering. Thank you.

Edit:
For everyone to understand the problem, if the Bronco has a max GVWR of 6000 like many stated (because that’s the max by Wrangler class of vehicle for Ford to legally say the Bronco compete in the same class), then that means a FE 4 door 2.7 (which we already know weights 5320) has a payload of 680, or 40% less than a Corolla, or just enough for 4 small adults and no gear.

Edit 2:
Per Jeep official website https://www.jeep.com/wrangler/specs.html
A 2 door Rubicon has 1190 Lbs of payload and a 4 door Rubicon has 1351 Lbs.
From the yellow picture of a 2 door BL that shows 816 Lbs of payload (see page 11 of this thread), the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 door V6, which is famous in the overlanding community for its very poor payload, has 50% more payload than a similar 2D BL Bronco...
Wow.

Edit 3: page 14 we find out a 2D FE has 765 LBS of payload. A pretty bad number. A Bronco Sport FE has more payload than that

thanks all.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco is a class 1 vehicle which means the GVWR is <6,000. All models have the same GVWR.

here’s the posted curb weights:

Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all E5FC22CE-3740-4C01-9941-368F07BBFBED

in the end it doesn’t really matter. You can still do whatever you want. Ford can’t install a hitch on the FE but that doesn’t mean you can’t.

Last edited:

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe I'm wrong on this but a good first approach would be to ask Levine if he can elaborate on Estaban's statement that if you want a roof rack on a 4dr sasquatch you will need to wait until '22 to order your Bronco. If we can get an explanation of what the key differences are to allow the roof rack in '22 but not '21, I think it would shed some light on part of this mystery. I also think Levine would be more likely to answer this question since we are quoting Estaban. Remember he asked for source of video when it was mentioned Estaban sayed the Auto with the 2.7 was a steal.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all Screenshot_20210101-200956_Instagram

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The fact that that Sasquatch can’t get a roof rack, and that a stock Badlands can’t either when you put the 2.7 on it tells a lot.
A lot of 2-door buyers might disagree with that statement.

Suke996

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition (Reservation)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The Bronco is a class 1 vehicle which means the GVWR is <6,000. All models have the same GVWR.

E5FC22CE-3740-4C01-9941-368F07BBFBED.jpeg

in the end it doesn’t really matter. You can still do whatever you want. Ford can’t install a hitch on the FE but that doesn’t mean you can’t.
Correct, but the dealership can deny warranty claims and if involved in an accident where you're over weight, could be held liable.

Seen it happen with 1/2 tons towing 5th wheel trailers. Not worth it.

Ford screwed it up by being so close to weight.

Last edited:

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think, to be on the safe side, you should cancel your reservation and buy a truck if you have that much stuff to haul. Seriously.

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all Screenshot_20210101-200956_Instagram

You can also speed, do cocaine and murder people. Doesn’t mean there won’t be consequences if/when you are caught.

JK

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

E5FC22CE-3740-4C01-9941-368F07BBFBED.jpeg

i do not think Ford officially stated it’s below 6000. If it is, then it means a stock first edition has 680 lbs payload maximum (6000-5320) per your screenshot.
That means that after 4 small (150lbs) people in the car and a dog, you are done. Can’t even bring a suitcase with you and not be illegal in a crash. That would be utterly ridiculous.
if a FE has 680 lbs of payload I am canceling my order immediately. A wrangler keeps a low but decent (1200+) payload across all trims including Rubicon. Most overlanders criticize this Wrangler payload already. Good off-roaders today have 1600+. 680 can’t possibly be true. A Toyota Corolla has 1000.

OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think, to be on the safe side, you should cancel your reservation and buy a truck if you have that much stuff to haul. Seriously.
I think you didn’t get that if the Bronco has a GVWR of 6000 (maximum GVWR per class 1) as many said it means a 2.7 4 doors FE can’t haul more than 4 adults. And it holds 40% less than a corolla. See my last post.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Using my 3400lb offroad camper as an example, it should not need a damn fullsize to tow it, which I have already. I figure my 4dr BL, 2.7, lux, hardtop will have a curb weight of 5200-5250lbs. So that leaves roughly 750-800lbs for cargo/people/tongue weight.
Me-175
Wife-125
Dog 1- 75
Dog 2- 65
tongue weight- 400
Total-840lbs

So without anything else, we’re 40-90lbs over gvwr.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The fact that the First edition can’t have a hitch, that Sasquatch can’t get a roof rack, and that a stock Badlands can’t either when you put the 2.7 on it tells a lot. It’s definitely not a height issue (can’t be for the hitch, or the low Badland on 33s). So it’s a weight issue.
Listen to the BN Q&A #2. Ford explained that it is an artificial limitation of their current production line that the GVWR is the maximum of available options (not calculated for each vehicle) so they had to arbitrarily limit the available options in each trim. Not ideal, and presumably they will fix their system eventually. Trying to figure out why Ford chose specific options to eliminate in different trims won't be productive, since it was an arbitrary decision.

i do not think Ford officially stated it’s below 6000. If it is, then it means a stock first edition has 680 lbs payload maximum (6000-5320) per your screenshot.
Payload roughly the same as wrangler according to prelim spec sheet:
Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all 1609551749380

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

In 2021 can we please try not to attack someone for what THEY want to do with THEIR Bronco.
Sponsored