Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Look, I'm sorry but that's like griping about my new corvette doesn't have room for a baby seat. Maybe you need to reevaluate things
We're all here because we see an amazing vehicle with a ton of potential, and we're passionate about what we could do with it. So yes I will push to the very end to see if I can justify buying it and using it for what I need. Perhaps we're not looking at this the same way - I wouldn't compare this vehicle to a Corvette - but that's okay. We don't need to.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Look, I'm sorry but that's like griping about my new corvette doesn't have room for a baby seat. Maybe you need to reevaluate things
Gotta make allowances. Some folks up in here need vehicles that are good at more than one thing...

WRF3MD

Black Diamond
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150/Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We're all here because we see an amazing vehicle with a ton of potential, and we're passionate about what we could do with it. So yes I will push to the very end to see if I can justify buying it and using it for what I need. Perhaps we're not looking at this the same way - I wouldn't compare this vehicle to a Corvette - but that's okay. We don't need to.
You're right, it's hard to compare it to a corvette. But if you're planning on pulling a 30ft camper up to the mountains with the '85 Bears O line then you might want to think about other options

WRF3MD

Black Diamond
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150/Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gotta make allowances. Some folks up in here need vehicles that are good at more than one thing...
I can't disagree, you just have to prioritize

Sponsored

Pocobronco87

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 2001
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There’s a ton of ways to lower weight and get higher payload such as rear seat delete lithium batteries instead of acid stock crap also soft top instead of hard top also change wheels and tires all said and done my 2 door badlands modular top should be around 4500 lbs it’s just me so there’s weight saving too

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You're right, it's hard to compare it to a corvette. But if you're planning on pulling a 30ft camper up to the mountains with the '85 Bears O line then you might want to think about other options
I fully agree. Modern half tons are surprisingly capable and the things that heavy duties can do are bordering on ridiculous. We can all find the vehicle we need.
But here's the thing - there is a really big functionality gap between the measly specs that we've been given and the (purposefully exaggerated) scenario you threw out to make the point. This is where many people are going to run up against barriers that they didn't anticipate. It certainly seems silly that @2Jeeps&PatriotX1's trailer is too much with (or even without given the tongue weight) wife and doggies on board and well into the realm of false advertising that you can't actually build the types of Broncos that Ford had been parading around for us to drool over.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nobody’s asking it to do that. If you’re wanting to tow something 10k lbs or more yes get something specific to do that. If ya plan to tow every day of the year get something specific for that. There’s a huge difference between asking for a 1500-2000lb towing increase and the 10k plus most any full-size truck is rated to tow. It’s not asking to make it more capable, it’s asking to actually let us know how capable it already is. Asking not to limit payloads and tow caps arbitrarily just to hold to a certain class.

As for the specific tool for the job bit, if I’m doing that job everyday I’ll buy the specific tool. If not, I’ll make it work with regular ass tools. Can do basically everything from oil change to an engine/transmission swap with nothing but a ratchet, a handful of sockets, and a jack. Don’t need 10k+ in tools and lifts and stands, but if doing that everyday to make a living off it yes spend the money for the tools. Likewise, I won’t be off roading or towing or loading to max payload everyday, but I’d like to be able to do all that to some extent. I’m not going to buy half a dozen vehicles to do one specific job each, I’ll buy one that can do the most of all I need. I don’t need anywhere near full-size truck towing capability, nor do I need a truck bed. 1500lbs more tow cap and the bronco would meet or exceed the minimum I need for everything. And to use the broncos off road capabilities I’d need to actually take it somewhere to go off-road. That won’t be done(for me) if it can’t tow a lil more.

And again, the only real limitation so far is an artificial one to keep it in a certain classification, not a capability one.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Anyone with a family and Gear, or campers and overlanders, should be concerned about the Bronco high weight and its likely low GVWR. The fact that the First edition can’t have a hitch, that Sasquatch can’t get a roof rack, and that a stock Badlands can’t either when you put the 2.7 on it tells a lot. It’s definitely not a height issue (can’t be for the hitch, or the low Badland on 33s). So it’s a weight issue.

Edit: For everyone to understand the problem, if the Bronco has a max GVWR of 6000 like many stated (because that’s the max by Wrangler class of vehicle for Ford to legally say the Bronco compete in the same class). Then that means a FE 4 door 2.7 (which we already know weight 5320) has a payload of 680, or 40% less than a Corolla, or just enough for 4 adults and no gear.

thanks all.
The 6000lb thing has been bugging me so I looked it up, and you are allowed some configurations to go beyond the limits. See my screenshot below, which yes is from Wikipedia but it's pretty much word for word from the actual regulation.

As an example, the Gladiator Overland has GVWR<6000lbs but all other trims are over. There's no way I'm believing that Jeep did all the certifications required for that trim only to be classified differently than the others.

Screenshot_20210102-002326_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sponsored

WRF3MD

Black Diamond
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150/Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I fully agree. Modern half tons are surprisingly capable and the things that heavy duties can do are bordering on ridiculous. We can all find the vehicle we need.
But here's the thing - there is a really big functionality gap between the measly specs that we've been given and the (purposefully exaggerated) scenario you threw out to make the point. This is where many people are going to run up against barriers that they didn't anticipate. It certainly seems silly that @2Jeeps&PatriotX1's trailer is too much with (or even without given the tongue weight) wife and doggies on board and well into the realm of false advertising that you can't actually build the types of Broncos that Ford had been parading around for us to drool over.
Yeah it sucks, but if that's your plan, buy something else. Or don't buy anything at all, doesn't matter to me. Sorry that it doesn't have the coyote or can tow 10,000lbs but that's not the point. Go buy a jeep, explorer, Tahoe, 4 runner or whatever else

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No it's like saying your corvette can't carry two passengers

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah it sucks, but if that's your plan, buy something else. Or don't buy anything at all, doesn't matter to me. Sorry that it doesn't have the coyote or can tow 10,000lbs but that's not the point. Go buy a jeep, explorer, Tahoe, 4 runner or whatever else
I don't need it to tow 10,000lbs. Not even close. As @Cookieck pointed out above, I don't think anyone on this forum has asked for that. For me depending on GCWR and payload numbers 4,500lbs would probably do just fine, but everyone is different. If I did need 10,000lbs though, how would a Wrangler or 4Runner help? Or even an Explorer or Tahoe? That's a half-ton tow cap.

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I read where a lot folks like the Bronco's larger than Jeep design and the fact that it actually has more cube space for gear. I am thinking that this larger design actually works against Ford in the managing GVWR part of the balancing act when trying to stay in the same class as Jeep.

The FE bumping up against spec limitations feels like a real problem, hopefully there is a way to adjust or test & qualify around it. FE 2022 MY would make more sense than 21., if they can solve the issue. The First Edition that came out second year doesn't resonate as well perhaps.

I was interested and looked at 3500lb class trailers and it seems to me that Bronco towing capability is limited without question. A small camper seems nice and if I wanted to really haul a camper I would get a pickup truck or better rated vehicle.

I assumed my answer was to understand what the truck can do and work within the limitations making necessary within spec adjustments as much as possible. I read the roof rack was rated for 110lbs which doesn't seem like a lot or very useful for the expense of the rack involved. I'll get the roof rails for sure.

Clearly designing a specialty vehicle these days taking into account regulations and everything owners want is not a simple undertaking. Did the EB have these limitations? If they just gave me a brand new EB original design for 29,900. I'd be happy and wouldn't care about towing.