First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gotta make allowances. Some folks up in here need vehicles that are good at more than one thing...
Absolutely, most folks need something more than a one trick pony (pun intended) but not every vehicle can be everything to everyone. Why do we gotta make allowances for a Bronco and not every other vehicle? Folks here like the Bronco, that is a given, however that does not mean it is special and exempt from the right tool for the right job analogy. Why should a Bronco that is designed to perform off-road (which makes it pretty darn close to a one trick pony) adapt (in factory form, the aftermarket will change a lot of things) to the wishes of everone? If some people are unhappy with certain aspects of the product, they don't have to buy it or they could get it and modify it.

Like complaining that Corn Flake cereal is not as yummy as Frosted Flakes. Either don't buy plain Corn Flakes or throw some aftermarket sugar on them to make home-made Frosted Flakes.

Buying a narrow focus vehicle limits its ability to excel in other areas. It really is that simple.
Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 6000lb thing has been bugging me so I looked it up, and you are allowed some configurations to go beyond the limits. See my screenshot below, which yes is from Wikipedia but it's pretty much word for word from the actual regulation.

You are posting the EPA/emissions/fuel economy weight class numbers. That is more to do with what test is required to generate MPG ratings. There is an additional one with strictly weight, Ford has to thread the needle between both. I suspect this might make it a little more clear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_classification
They break down Class 2 into 2a and 2b for the up to 10000lb range, in case it is confusing about Class 2 encompassing both

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So if I'm understanding this all right, everyone knows that Wrangler folks that have decked out their Off Road rigs are always over Wrangler's Weight Limit correct? So anyone buying a Bronco that is planning on tossing on Off Road Gear just expected it to be over the Weight limit I assume? Keeping in mind that Ford is allowing us to get Bronco's from the Factory with much of that off-road already loaded up (Sasquatch, larger tires, Winches, Bash Plates, etc). My point being that any rig that is truly an Off-Road setup, is going to exceed standard weights whether YOU did it, or the Factory did it.... correct?

OR... is the concern that a standard Bronco, non-off road rig, can't even load up the family and a few suitcases?

I would imagine if Ford took all that Off Road Ready stuff off, they would be well under the 6k limit and then we wouldn't be going back and forth and talking about all the stuff we'll have to do to modify our Broncos before doing any serious off-roading?

What I'm more interested in which seems to be brushed over, is What is FORD planning to do in 2022 that makes the Bronco Lighter so much so, that you can now have Roof Racks and Such? They are already Alumin Bodies... are they going thinner? More ALumin.... IMO, THIS should be the #1 Topic right now besides possible what options makes you Late Delivery.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not being able to fill the five seats and be under the limit seems a little crazy. Like too crazy.

Most other issues so far can be fixed with more money.

I just don't think I could believe the weight limit with the FE.

emerald86

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, 21 Badlands Bronco, 23 Braptor INBOUND
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You know the difference between the newer f250s and 350? The badge on the side of the truck & sticker on the door listing the GVWR. If you want the extra GVWR/payload sticker, you can pay $1k for it and get the 350 over the 250. If you’re in a state w/ strict gvwr rules/taxes/registration fees, then just get the 250, it can do everything the 350 does.

when Jeep rolled out the 21 Gladiator w/ the ecodiesel (300-400lbs heavier than 3.6 gasser), it magically had 300 extra lbs in GVWR in the sticker without changing anything structural or suspension from the gas version.

Starting to think this is the same for the Bronco. I mean the Warthog will be the heaviest of all. They’ll just slap a higher rating sticker on it.
This is not true the F-350 has an additional leaf spring and sits higher over the rear axle.

If you are going to use the bed to load close to the rated payload, use the truck for a camper or 5th wheel towing I would strongly reccomend the F-350 for practical functionality alone.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ohnoohnoooo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW z3, Nisan rogue, joint-custody of Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What I'm more interested in which seems to be brushed over, is What is FORD planning to do in 2022 that makes the Bronco Lighter so much so, that you can now have Roof Racks and Such? They are already Alumin Bodies... are they going thinner? More ALumin.... IMO, THIS should be the #1 Topic right now besides possible what options makes you Late Delivery.
96AD8CF3-FEE8-4CD5-A235-CBFAA69BD50E.gif

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Interesting he says to wear a mask.

Recovering from Covid myself right now, I'm not convinced that masks work.

Just people watch and see how many times a minute people adjust and touch their masks. Now any germs they touched are now concentrated right where you don't want them, where you're sucking air in.

Look at the gear the scientists use and the cheap paper masks us peasants wear. Cheap masks aren't going to filter out something that is .003 microns.

I tried everything possible to stay away from people and keep my hands clean. But being an airline pilot and having to wear a mask, I found myself touching that mask hundreds of times a day. Pull the mask down to drink or drink, put the mask back up, touch something and then touch the mask cause it doesn't fit or it shifts while talking. We honestly touch the masks so often it's disgusting.

I can't pinpoint where I contracted the virus as no one that was near me has come down with symptoms and my family has all tested negative twice.

It appears to be from germs on the mask and the doctor I went to is convinced of that as well. As he explained, a fart has to squeeze between two cheeks, underwear, pair of pants, float around and enter your nose and mouth (smell is mostly taste). If it escaped all that, you think a $.99 mask is going to prevent you from tasting a fart?

I chuckled at his example and went home to isolate, pop Vitamin C,D,B12,Zinc and pepcid. So far the headaches have been the worst and I have been monitoring a pulse oximeter to make sure my O2 levels stay high. Tested positive on Dec 26th and still here today so hopefully on backside of this thing. And No, I'm not the healthiest 48 yr guy in the world at 5' 11 245 pounds. So it is survivable, don't let the news mess with your head. Being isolated definitely sucks and does play with your mind, but it's not the end of the world.

I personally believe the masks are a false sense of security just like a football helmet prevents concussions, yet the concussions have increased cause the players think their invincible and protected.

Sorry for the rant, just stay safe, don't touch your mask if your wear one and keep your hands as clean as possible while loading up on Vitamins.
@Suke996 Get well soon! Sounds like your by the worst of it!

We all touch our face or even directly mouth & nose more than we think.

CoolTech

Wildtrak
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Touareg TDI
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
op - I get where you are coming from. However, I think that you are making a leap that is unwarranted. Trying to keep things simple, Ford may have their reasons for selling the Jeeps in the "small SUV" <6,000lb GVWR classification. Fine. However, once it is in the hands of the consumer, you can - through accessories and packing loads exceed that GVWR. So what? I say "so, nothing." No one is going to care. The police are not going to care, the accident investigator (God forbid) is not going to care, the insurance company is not going to care... the sky is NOT going to fall.

If anyone is "at risk" it is Ford themselves - and I'm sure they know the rules very well and are making decisions with these rules in mind. Potentially the NHTSA or whatever the correct regulatory body that has jurisdiction may make a claim against Ford for their classification and when filling each seat and a full tank of fuel, they could exceed the defined GVWR..... but that's Ford's issue.... not yours as the consumer.

It seems that you want to make the leap that if the vehicle is over GVWR, it is somehow un-safe and that someone cares. I don't think so. Now, if Ford starts denying warranty claims citing the GVWR has been exceeded, that's a whole other story... but no one is saying that. In sum, I would just relax. If it bothers you that much or if you think the Bronco puts you or your family at risk - move on. There's plenty of nice vehicles out there.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hate to say it, but the GVWR issue has me cross shopping 4Runner‘s. A TRD Pro has a GVWR = 6300 lbs, curb weight = 4750 lbs, and tow rating = 5000 lbs. They‘re roughly the same price as a 4 door Badlands with 2.7, auto, mid/high packages. I know I’d have to give up the removable top and some off road capability but it’s tempting. I’ll be waiting (impatiently) for final details from Ford before ordering.
You might as well buy a 2011 4Runner

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

op - I get where you are coming from. However, I think that you are making a leap that is unwarranted. Trying to keep things simple, Ford may have their reasons for selling the Jeeps in the "small SUV" <6,000lb GVWR classification. Fine. However, once it is in the hands of the consumer, you can - through accessories and packing loads exceed that GVWR. So what? I say "so, nothing." No one is going to care. The police are not going to care, the accident investigator (God forbid) is not going to care, the insurance company is not going to care... the sky is NOT going to fall.

If anyone is "at risk" it is Ford themselves - and I'm sure they know the rules very well and are making decisions with these rules in mind. Potentially the NHTSA or whatever the correct regulatory body that has jurisdiction may make a claim against Ford for their classification and when filling each seat and a full tank of fuel, they could exceed the defined GVWR..... but that's Ford's issue.... not yours as the consumer.

It seems that you want to make the leap that if the vehicle is over GVWR, it is somehow un-safe and that someone cares. I don't think so. Now, if Ford starts denying warranty claims citing the GVWR has been exceeded, that's a whole other story... but no one is saying that. In sum, I would just relax. If it bothers you that much or if you think the Bronco puts you or your family at risk - move on. There's plenty of nice vehicles out there.
Its not like the OP is the first person to be concerned with the Bronco's GVWR, there are a dozen threads discussing it with hundreds of posts.

The latest:
Sasquarch roof racks restricted from factory due to issues with GVWR; can still be installed aftermarket

All the rest:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/search/1098705/?q=Gvwr&c[title_only]=1&o=date

Sponsored

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

most marketing by Ford show fully loaded Broncos, including with overlanding gear. So no I am not dreaming that need, Ford markets it. So stop BS us here.
Haven’t we learned by now not to trust anything we saw in the Bronco launch videos and early marketing materials?

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think you're making some very big assumptions here. If you're in an accident and overweight with big, obvious items (armor, winch, overhead tent, trailer, etc) you don't think the insurance company would use that against you? If you have even one of those items on a trip with a few other people you're going to be over the weight limit.

I think it's unacceptable the payload is so low you can't even fill every seat with a person.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get well soon and best of luck! And yes, a lot of it is mask theater.
Sometimes it’s necessary to put on a show for the dummies in the back lol
Sponsored