Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all

Al Cowlings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
816 lbs is a perfectly believable number, but I'm fairly certain it's derived based on the tires, and not any kind of max payload capacity.

This same sticker on my 5th gen 4Runner says total weight, including passengers, should not exceed 835 lbs. Yet Toyota lists the payload capacity as 1,495 lbs.
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sorry if this was mentioned already, didn't read all 11 pages.
As far as weight be a problem on a FE. According B & P you can add a winch on the front but not a roof rack or trailer hitch. A little confused on this one ?
No worries, we are all confused until Ford releases real vehicle weight technical specs. Ford is currently limiting accessories, because, take your pick...

1) To much weight up high, high center of CG and you are prone to rollover, at least that is all we can surmise with their limitations.
2) There are no limitations, other that their B&P tool that cannot handle all the combinations of options.
3) They will redesign the Bronco with lightanium in 2022 to avoid any limitations.

Dannyboy71

Badlands
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry, but I call BS on this one. They designed a throwback vehicle that they were hoping would appeal to the mass market. And it did.

If they were just interested in the very tiny segment of actual rock crawlers or dune jumpers, they wouldn't have rolled it out the way they did.

Ford is smart enough to know that 90% (or more) of this vehicle's buyers will be doing boring, normal activities (like camping) with it.
Hmmmmm I like boring camping?

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

On a Ford (yellow) that number IS the payload weight allowed and will vary depending on trim levels and options. it will be all over the place, but it would not surprise me to someone posting a number less then 700.

This is my 19 F150 max tow sticker

Ford Bronco Let’s solve the GVWR and payload issue once and for all truck_payload

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Almost 10 pages and over 120 posts that I don't have time to read so can somebody give me the executive summary please? Have we finally solved this GVWR and payload issue or is more discussion needed? Thanks in advance
Read the first page. The rest is mostly uniformed opinionated blather, also known as analysis paralysis.
Bottom line: no one knows what they know.

Sponsored

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No worries, we are all confused until Ford releases real vehicle weight technical specs. Ford is currently limiting accessories, because, take your pick...

1) To much weight up high, high center of CG and you are prone to rollover, at least that is all we can surmise with their limitations.
2) There are no limitations, other that their B&P tool that cannot handle all the combinations of options.
3) They will redesign the Bronco with lightanium in 2022 to avoid any limitations.
I love the reference to "lightanium", lol!

Just a question.
If they are taking reservations shouldn't there be a defined Ford conduit that provides answers for legitimate questions from real buyers?

There is a lot of wheels spinning here about questions and we are getting no traction causing going over the cliff anxiety. If Ford wants to market 4x4 off roaders they ought to solve this issue.

Shouldn't Ford understand the passion for this vehicle and take the opportunity to have dialogue and create raving fans. The solution is basic, actual meaningful give & take communication from Ford.

Orders are next week and the podcast video's can be helpful except they create more questions than they answer. I have owned a half a dozen new Fords over the years and moved to Honda & Toyota because you can't dispute their reliability. I would like to feel good about going back to Ford and am not there yet.

It is clear Ford is a good design company and not a good customer relations company.
Where is the conduit of real info. Bronconotion?

alexraw

Outer Banks
First Name
alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So this would be my first vehicle of this type as I usually had sport cars and never really used my vehicle for heavy loads or pulling anything so excuse my ignorance on GVWR but are you guys saying that if I were to get a squatched bronco I basically could not even haul a trailer with a jet ski without going against the GVWR limit or add a roof tent like the overland setup Ford has been showing at all of these events and actually the exact one I have as my avatar image?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I love the reference to "lightanium", lol!

Just a question.
If they are taking reservations shouldn't there be a defined Ford conduit that provides answers for legitimate questions from real buyers?

There is a lot of wheels spinning here about questions and we are getting no traction causing going over the cliff anxiety. If Ford wants to market 4x4 off roaders they ought to solve this issue.

Shouldn't Ford understand the passion for this vehicle and take the opportunity to have dialogue and create raving fans. The solution is basic, actual meaningful give & take communication from Ford.

Orders are next week and the podcast video's can be helpful except they create more questions than they answer. I have owned a half a dozen new Fords over the years and moved to Honda & Toyota because you can't dispute their reliability. I would like to feel good about going back to Ford and am not there yet.

It is clear Ford is a good design company and not a good customer relations company.
Where is the conduit of real info. Bronconotion?
Problem is when someone has a chance to ask questions, they focus on wish list info instead of clarification on known features like this one.

Example ... what should be asked.... There is alot of concern over the individual trims and options as to the Total Capacity weight restrictions. People are doubting that 4 grown adults and their camping gear will comply with weight limitations. What are the real numbers? AND is Ford going to change something structural for the 2022 to address this?

Instead we get questions like... when will I be able to get a white top, or if my order is 5 minutes before the next guy what does that mean? ..... or my personal favorite, why does the Bronco only come with an electronic Owners Manual.

My point being that so many questions are being asked as to understand Fords reasoning and frankly it doesn't matter and we are going to get BS anyway. Instead we should be focused on getting all the missing details of features we KNOW come with the Bronco and how they work, etc.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So this would be my first vehicle of this type as I usually had sport cars and never really used my vehicle for heavy loads or pulling anything so excuse my ignorance on GVWR but are you guys saying that if I were to get a squatched bronco I basically could not even haul a trailer with a jet ski without going against the GVWR limit or add a roof tent like the overland setup Ford has been showing at all of these events and actually the exact one I have as my avatar image?
possible. rule of thumb is take said jet ski plus trailer weight and 10% of that total weight (tonque weight) needs to be included with any payload weight. This is why its razor thin when you start adding rock rails, bash plates, winches. The roof tent is carry weight only, but Ford already posted the static usage weight so you can kinda figure out where you stand if you want to go by legal driving weight.

OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Per Jeep official website https://www.jeep.com/wrangler/specs.html

A 2 door Rubicon has 1190 Lbs of payload and a 4 door Rubicon has 1351 Lbs.
From the yellow picture of a 2 door BL that shows 816 Lbs of payload it seems that the Jeep Wrangler, which is famous in the overlanding community for its very poor payload, has 50% more payload than a similar Bronco.

Wow...

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Read the first page. The rest is mostly uniformed opinionated blather, also known as analysis paralysis.
Bottom line: no one knows what they know.
I know what they know. I know they want to avoid future civil liabilities...

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

From the yellow picture of a 2 door BL that shows 816 Lbs of payload it seems that the Jeep Wrangler, which is famous in the overlanding community for its very poor payload, has 50% more payload than a similar Bronco.

Wow...
yup which is why its a shit show on here until Ford either fixes it or people look elsewhere. Usually the trend in aftermarket for offroad is heavier not lighter lol.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow...
If this is true, I think it might be the dagger for me. A full tank of gas and a few heavier friends exceeding the weight limit is not cool.

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Wow...
The Bronco is in the same weight class as a Wrangler but is a couple hundred pounds heavier than the Rubicon.

alexraw

Outer Banks
First Name
alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

possible. rule of thumb is take said jet ski plus trailer weight and 10% of that total weight (tonque weight) needs to be included with any payload weight. This is why its razor thin when you start adding rock rails, bash plates, winches. The roof tent is carry weight only, but Ford already posted the static usage weight so you can kinda figure out where you stand if you want to go by legal driving weight.
Ouch, I was all in on the bronco but this may push me to look elsewhere. This has me bummed out as I was so excited for this vehicle but if I can’t even pull a jet ski or have an overland setup similar to the overland build Ford has been showing off along with the squatch this may be it for me based off of my intended goals.

Hopefully we receive an answer on this or hopefully they are able to somehow increase these limits in future model years.
Sponsored