Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Guess I'll go with the stock steel bumpers that come with BD. Will add the winch later if I think I'll be doing that kind of off roading. I do like the look of the steel bumper but wish there were more options of where to locate after market lights on it, but maybe the add on bull bars give you options.
Sponsored

rlynch356

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Defender 90, RRC TDi, 200 series
Your Bronco Model
Base
The winch mounts on the modular steel bumpers are pretty... well added on without much real thought it seems. they just sit out there as the furthest forward thing on the truck.
I'm am sure some of the top level companies will produce compatible bumpers for the bronco (ARB I'm sure will be one of the first on the market) - from the looks of what I can see it seems all of the sensors are incorporated into the grill. So a bumper swap hopefully won't be an all day adventure like on a land cruiser 200 series.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, I’m also not familiar with the intercooler and All that Jazz. However I’m seriously considering skipping the mid-package specifically to avoid many of these sensors and the headaches that accompany them.
So if I skip the mid package does provide additional space / freedom for a aftermarket bumper to house the winch inside versus on top?

Thanks. Lars

JMV123

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F350/2015 Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Going with the Badlands steel although I am not a fan for the current design. The lack of integrated fog lights are a mistake IMO and there is not a good location from what I could see based on internet images. Will be looking in aftermarket front bumper that is designed for a winch, fogs and perhaps a way to mount a 20-30” LED light bar. Adequate protection for moderate deer hits is a must where I live in Wyoming.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok, I’m also not familiar with the intercooler and All that Jazz. However I’m seriously considering skipping the mid-package specifically to avoid many of these sensors and the headaches that accompany them.
So if I skip the mid package does provide additional space / freedom for a aftermarket bumper to house the winch inside versus on top?

Thanks. Lars
All that an aftermarket "inside the bumper" mounting is going to do is make the bumper larger. If you look at the modular bumper w/winch plate added it is virtually identical to jeep aftermarket bumpers, but the winch is not inside a box. There won't be room to mount a winch behind the factory bumper...there never really has been on any vehicle. It's been done (if you scroll up you will see mine), but trust me...Fords setup on the modular bumper is actually really good. All the aftermarket is going to do is build a welded box structure around what Ford already put there...why add more wieght?

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

All that an aftermarket "inside the bumper" mounting is going to do is make the bumper larger. If you look at the modular bumper w/winch plate added it is virtually identical to jeep aftermarket bumpers, but the winch is not inside a box. There won't be room to mount a winch behind the factory bumper...there never really has been on any vehicle. It's been done (if you scroll up you will see mine), but trust me...Fords setup on the modular bumper is actually really good. All the aftermarket is going to do is build a welded box structure around what Ford already put there...why add more wieght?
I had a winch mount for my Ranger and Bronco II's that hung down from the frame rails, tucked in behind the air dam, good set up. Something like that might work on the new Bronco, but would require a total bash plate redo.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks but your comments do not address my question. My question is directed to “how will the intercooler’s requirements, if any, impact aftermarket bumper solutions?”, but thanks for the sass anyway. ?

side note: I’ve had several different aftermarket bumpers on my Tacoma over the years. Including my current set up where I relocated the control box to allow improved fitment “inside” the bumper and control line/wire access. It won’t necessarily add weight if done properly and potentially improve approach & certainly improve style. But that’s just like my opinion man.

?
Side note; quote function is seriously fucking with me. I’ve edited this post several times in the attempt to get
It right, but whatever.

Last edited:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a winch mount for my Ranger and Bronco II's that hung down from the frame rails, tucked in behind the air dam, good set up. Something like that might work on the new Bronco, but would require a total bash plate redo.
U don't want anything below the frame rails...unless u out want to shovel your winch out to recover. The rails will be buried! In this pic I am wearing hip boots. I am not 100% sure I was stuck, but, if I got any deeper i couldn't have payed out my winch. I had to dig to get the rope!

IMG_36351.jpg

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting that geography & trail obstacles may be impacting experience & opinions here. Colorado, or my version of Colorado is essentially all rock. Traction is rarely the challenge (excluding winter) it’s getting hung up on a rock that gets the winch line spooled out. Stuck in the mud or water hole is just crazy rare out here. Hell the entire state is on fire right now. I could see how mud & water would change needs.

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
U don't want anything below the frame rails...unless u out want to shovel your winch out to recover. The rails will be buried! In this pic I am wearing hip boots. I am not 100% sure I was stuck, but, if I got any deeper i couldn't have payed out my winch. I had to dig to get the rope!

Ford Bronco Let’s talk about bumpers IMG_36351
Where you wheel and what you wheel plays a factor. I hate mud more than I hate my ex-wife, between the rails and not stuck off the front where it will hit every single rock is where I'd want a winch.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where you wheel and what you wheel plays a factor. I hate mud more than I hate my ex-wife, between the rails and not stuck off the front where it will hit every single rock is where I'd want a winch.
Thats not mud its sand. If it was mud I'd have been ok. The sand was so loose under the water i plowed a big pile of it in front of my bumper. Between the rails would be ok if you can do it, but looks like things are pretty tight in that area on new Bronco. Even this old fsb I had to move the bumper forward a couple inches (simple brackets to fab) to make room. 2"of body lift as well, and w/all that the winch sits in there real snug!

Reactions: JT1

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thats not mud its sand. If it was mud I'd have been ok. The sand was so loose under the water i plowed a big pile of it in front of my bumper. Between the rails would be ok if you can do it, but looks like things are pretty tight in that area on new Bronco. Even this old fsb I had to move the bumper forward a couple inches (simple brackets to fab) to make room. 2"of body lift as well, and w/all that the winch sits in there real snug!
Yeah, some of the newer vehicles like the new superduty and new ram have fully hidden winch capability. Not sure I want it completely hidden, but tacked onto the front like the bronco is pretty awful for rocks, or nosing off a steep shelf..

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, some of the newer vehicles like the new superduty and new ram have fully hidden winch capability. Not sure I want it completely hidden, but tacked onto the front like the bronco is pretty awful for rocks, or nosing off a steep shelf..
I crawl some fairly hairy stuff w/my XJ and its got the winch in virtually the same spot. I'm not sure how having it mounted lower would help on rocks? It just looks funky on a Bronco because its not boxed in.

20200705_131356.jpg

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I crawl some fairly hairy stuff w/my XJ and its got the winch in virtually the same spot. I'm not sure how having it mounted lower would help on rocks? It just looks funky on a Bronco because its not boxed in.
it isn't how high or how low, the mount they have shown sticks out 6-8 inches farther than the bumper. It's just hanging out there in the wind.

Ford Bronco Let’s talk about bumpers 1603486000404

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
it isn't how high or how low, the mount they have shown sticks out 6-8 inches farther than the bumper. It's just hanging out there in the wind.

Ford Bronco Let’s talk about bumpers 1603486000404
Right...but the bumper is flush w/the grill...fits flat on the frame horns. I u look at my jeep above it sticks out by the same amount, just boxed. I dont really see any other way to do it, or any disadvantage of doing it that way. I do like the way it appears the winch plate can be removed easy enough!
Sponsored