Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay my use case for this bronco is going to be mostly around town, with a commute every two weeks that will be about 2 hours long on an interstate. I’d like to use it for overlanding as well and have the Lux package, so I’m between a OB and BD both non squatched. During seasons of poor weather the commute will frequently be spent driving in snow or mud so I’m set on the bronco for it’s capabilities. However, with the different suspension between OB and BD I want to make sure I’m not getting in over my head and getting something uncomfortable. I would prefer the BD for the extra capability and the vinyl washout interior, but with the position sensitive shocks, can anyone speak to the potential for this to be uncomfortable on the highway? I’ve been reading reviews on the new TRX and the Raptor, and one of the biggest takeaways with their suspensions is the extra almost mushiness and tendency for the truck to rock when starting or stopping or wallow over bumps. So, experts in off-road vehicle suspension-any concern here or good to go?
Edit: I meant BL. I get confused easily when I don’t eat my crayons on time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

maricard

Badlands
First Name
Marc-Antoine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trailblazer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay my use case for this bronco is going to be mostly around town, with a commute every two weeks that will be about 2 hours long on an interstate. I’d like to use it for overlanding as well and have the Lux package, so I’m between a OB and BD both non squatched. During seasons of poor weather the commute will frequently be spent driving in snow or mud so I’m set on the bronco for it’s capabilities. However, with the different suspension between OB and BD I want to make sure I’m not getting in over my head and getting something uncomfortable. I would prefer the BD for the extra capability and the vinyl washout interior, but with the position sensitive shocks, can anyone speak to the potential for this to be uncomfortable on the highway? I’ve been reading reviews on the new TRX and the Raptor, and one of the biggest takeaways with their suspensions is the extra almost mushiness and tendency for the truck to rock when starting or stopping or wallow over bumps. So, experts in off-road vehicle suspension-any concern here or good to go?
I think OBX and BD have the same suspension.

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Everyone hates when I say this but I will never stop.

Test drive a wrangler - then test drive a 4runner.
The wrangler will give you an idea of the discomfort of road noise and the 4runner will give you a decent idea of what truck suspension feels like. Def less comfy than a Hyundai - and I'd imagine the Bronco will be even less comfortable than the 4runner based on off road capability

OP
OP
midwestpilot

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think OBX and BD have the same suspension.
The badlands has position sensitive monotube shocks which are an upgrade over the others I believe. And the squatch has the same with a lift,

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is all going to be subjective to each individual. There are many posts on the Ranger forum about the Fx4 suspension being to "bouncy" by some and others like myself have no clue what they're talking about. It's an off road vehicle so it's not going to ride like a Cadillac but should be better than a Jeep. It will also depend on what you're driving now. I've had trucks my whole life so for me I'm use to a stiffer ride.

Sponsored

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lux isn't available on BD. Did you mean BL?

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A dedicated off-road suspension can actually feel pretty plush, dedicated off-road tires can be loud as shit.

Depending on how the coils and suspension or set up, it could be a very rough ride or very smooth. I have my 4Runner with icons set up to be extremely smooth on road.

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The badlands has position sensitive monotube shocks which are an upgrade over the others I believe. And the squatch has the same with a lift,
Ahhhh ... you threw me.

To me BD is Black Diamond. Maybe BL for Badlands?

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Deleted member 15966

I’ve had two Raptors... a 2014 and a 2018 and the on road ride has been fantastic in both. Of course they’ve had Fox shocks and BFG KO or KO2s on them. Having had dozens of vehicles over my lifetime, they’ve ruined trucks for me for the way they perform and their overall comfort, to include the on-road manners. I can only hope the Bronco is in the same league, although it will be different all the way around.

Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The suspension is likely the least of your concerns. Quality off-road suspension may feel softer than a typical road-focused suspension, so that wouldn’t be necessarily uncomfortable.

Any discomfort will likely come from road/wind noise due to the shape of the vehicle, the fact that it’s top is removable and therefore doesn’t have the same amount of sound deadening as a fixed-roof vehicle, and the tread of your tires. MT tires are louder than AT’s which are louder than street tires. This is where your discomfort will come from. Test drive a Rubicon Jeep to get an idea of the noise (handling is completely different though due to SFA vs IFS so don’t take that into account)

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you test drive a Wrangler like @SamG said and you don't mind the way it drives, then you won't mind the way any of the Broncos drive. The Rubicons are supposed to have upgraded shocks (maybe Willy's too? I don't remember) for off-roading so maybe go for one of those.

I can also tell you that you can drive just about anything you want on the highway and enjoy yourself. It is really subjective. I daily drive a 2010 JKU with a 2.5" Rock Krawler lift kit, Bilstein 5100's and 35x12.50r15 Goodyear MTR's and I love the way it drives. On the other hand, my mom, sister, girlfriend, and some of my friends all hate it. All of those people also drive little hatchbacks or sports cars though. My friends that drive trucks and old SUV's either don't comment or love it.

At the end of the day, the Bronco is going to be a ton of fun. If it is the type of vehicle you want, and the off-road oriented suspension, tires, and other characteristics in a Wrangler don't ruin your test drive, then you will love the Bronco.

OP
OP
midwestpilot

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I TOTALLY meant BL. I am the dumb. I’ve driven a wrangler and trucks a bunch, only thing I didn’t like about the wrangler was the turning radius but otherwise my Hyundai is actually super loud in the highway so anything’s an upgrade. My work truck for years was a 2012 super crew f150 so fairly used to that at least.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I haven't read anything that directly compares a JL Wrangler to a Bronco. Largely because Ford hasn't allowed anybody neutral to drive it. This launch has gone through the weirdest set of youtube channels, and automotive journalists, etc. Has anyone seen a driving impression review by someone who reviews Jeeps?

Anyway, for the OP - the position sensitive shocks should be comfortable for normal on road use, but your intended use probably would match more with an OB. Just get the Advance on Demand transfer case, and the locking rear differential with it for those times you do go offroad. Also get a top headliner for noise reduction along with that lux package.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I can also tell you that you can drive just about anything you want on the highway and enjoy yourself. It is really subjective.
One of the most accurate statements not only in this thread, but in this entire forum.
Sponsored