First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I always get shocks that I can manually change the valve setting on and have a external reservoir. I can dial the shocks for when the Jeep is loaded with cargo and pulling a trailer. Then I can click the setting over for when it’s just me daily driving. Super soft to extra firm, I set them to what I need.
Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Take it off-roading for awhile. Then you'll love the way it rides on the highway. I'm used to a small car with a small wheelbase and stiff suspension. I'm gonna love the Bronco.

OP
OP
midwestpilot

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't read anything that directly compares a JL Wrangler to a Bronco. Largely because Ford hasn't allowed anybody neutral to drive it. This launch has gone through the weirdest set of youtube channels, and automotive journalists, etc. Has anyone seen a driving impression review by someone who reviews Jeeps?

Anyway, for the OP - the position sensitive shocks should be comfortable for normal on road use, but your intended use probably would match more with an OB. Just get the Advance on Demand transfer case, and the locking rear differential with it for those times you do go offroad. Also get a top headliner for noise reduction along with that lux package.
But I hate that interior haha

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But I hate that interior haha
A huge reason I am going Badlands is for the marine grade vinyl and washout floors. Sure, you can get seat covers and the deep floor mats that do a good job of catching all the mud, sand, salt, and various spills, but the Badlands interior will be awesome for when you get caught in the rain with no top or doors because you decided to trust the weatherman. The fact that it is my favorite interior in appearance is just a bonus.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The suspension is likely the least of your concerns. Quality off-road suspension may feel softer than a typical road-focused suspension, so that wouldn’t be necessarily uncomfortable.

Any discomfort will likely come from road/wind noise due to the shape of the vehicle, the fact that it’s top is removable and therefore doesn’t have the same amount of sound deadening as a fixed-roof vehicle, and the tread of your tires. MT tires are louder than AT’s which are louder than street tires. This is where your discomfort will come from. Test drive a Rubicon Jeep to get an idea of the noise (handling is completely different though due to SFA vs IFS so don’t take that into account)

People commonly say to go test drive a Rubicon.....Unfortunately, those mud terrains when brand new make almost no noise. Its after about 10k miles that it sounds like a squadron of Apache helicopters are chasing you down the highway.

Sponsored

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Everyone hates when I say this but I will never stop.

Test drive a wrangler - then test drive a 4runner.
The wrangler will give you an idea of the discomfort of road noise and the 4runner will give you a decent idea of what truck suspension feels like. Def less comfy than a Hyundai - and I'd imagine the Bronco will be even less comfortable than the 4runner based on off road capability
wranglers have solid front axles ..... Broncos dont
test drive a RANGER.....maybe a regular one and a high one

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
People commonly say to go test drive a Rubicon.....Unfortunately, those mud terrains when brand new make almost no noise. Its after about 10k miles that it sounds like a squadron of Apache helicopters are chasing you down the highway.
solid front axle will have a MUCH greater effect on ride quality than the tires

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is all going to be subjective to each individual. There are many posts on the Ranger forum about the Fx4 suspension being to "bouncy" by some and others like myself have no clue what they're talking about. It's an off road vehicle so it's not going to ride like a Cadillac but should be better than a Jeep. It will also depend on what you're driving now. I've had trucks my whole life so for me I'm use to a stiffer ride.
I have heard the same, kinda sounds like a shock issue.

Guys that have wild lifted older Rangers saying a new one is too bouncy kinda throws up a flag.

One of my friends was at a press thing in California before the Ranger launched and said he thought something was off in the suspension. And then everybody else started saying similar things after that and even moreso after they launched.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
solid front axle will have a MUCH greater effect on ride quality than the tires

This I disagree with pretty heavily. SFA is pretty much unnoticeable with a properly tuned suspension unless you are driving over speed bumps.

There is a night and day difference in road manners from street tires to mud terrains. Once M/Ts break in, they sound like a helicopter on the road which can be very difficult to live with.

I am getting a Sasquatch, but I will most defiantely replace the stock tires with BFG A/Ts within 10k miles.

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you test drive a Wrangler like @SamG said and you don't mind the way it drives, then you won't mind the way any of the Broncos drive. The Rubicons are supposed to have upgraded shocks (maybe Willy's too? I don't remember) for off-roading so maybe go for one of those.

I can also tell you that you can drive just about anything you want on the highway and enjoy yourself. It is really subjective. I daily drive a 2010 JKU with a 2.5" Rock Krawler lift kit, Bilstein 5100's and 35x12.50r15 Goodyear MTR's and I love the way it drives. On the other hand, my mom, sister, girlfriend, and some of my friends all hate it. All of those people also drive little hatchbacks or sports cars though. My friends that drive trucks and old SUV's either don't comment or love it.

At the end of the day, the Bronco is going to be a ton of fun. If it is the type of vehicle you want, and the off-road oriented suspension, tires, and other characteristics in a Wrangler don't ruin your test drive, then you will love the Bronco.
if you test drive a solid front axle vehicle, and switch to a vehicle with Independent Front Suspension - you WILL LOVE THE IFS.
* I dont think we can compare these 2 vehicles except that the doors and tops come off both
Sponsored