Sponsored

Lets discuss why there should/not be a v8 option!

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So just thinking what's the communities thoughts for and or against not putting the 5.0 in this vehicle. Obviously things can change. As it stands right now speculation is 3.0 or the 2.7; from what we can tell the body looks to be wider (hinting possible bigger engine option?) the competition is obviously the 392. It will be similarly priced. Lets look at the raptor.... Started with a v8 (2014) went to the V6 which there is mixed emotions on that. This is not to say the v6 isn't a powerful engine (3.0 engine spec 400hp/415T). And for 2022 the Raptor R will have a v8 option. 😐

My point is why not? Its gonna be pricey you're gonna give all this stuff and yet leave out one option/ bigger engine especially if you're wanting to steal consumers from a rival brand.
Sponsored

NurseDan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ve heard said the Coyote is too wide. Perhaps something on the Godzilla architecture will come along and be able to fit. I have to desire for the V8 but if people wanna pay for it, why not I suppose

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

6.7 Baby Godzilla is already promised to the Windsor engine plant. OHV engine is more compact and can pull 500HP naturally aspirated. Still a rough sell for the Ranger/Midsize chassis. Warthog is already verified as v6, very likely 3.0l. Sat next to one in person and chatted with the test engineer. He verified it was v6 and just smiled when I asked 3.0? I talked to a power train engineer a few weeks later, emissions testing on a motor that was said to be for the warthog. Didn’t have the power figures, bit mentioned it was a beast. 5.0 would need forced induction to meet those numbers. Even more expensive and harder to package. 5.0 advantage is primarily v8 sound. So, it’s possible, but not much upsides from 3.0 and 3.0 Hybrid.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you're going to speculate, why not go big? 7.3 Godzilla!

It's really physically not that big and word is Ford is developing a version for the Mustang.

I would love it, but the deep skirt is probably a problem with IFS.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Coyote is a wide bish and won't fit in the engine bay of the Bronco. The Hemi as well as the LS being cam-in-block motors are both considerably smaller physically than the overhead cam mod motor.

Then the power band for the Coyote is all wrong for a fairly heavy slow crawling off-roader. The Coyote loves to rev. Its power comes on way up high. On the trail, low-end torque is king.

A smaller displacement version of the Godzilla, which went back to a cam-in-block design, makes more sense but there's been zero indication there is a plan to go down to 5 to 6L with it.

Stack on concerns about emissions regulations and you have zero chance of a V8 from the factory. Maybe a few years down the road the aftermarket will come up with something if you've got the deep pockets for it. All these shops that have promised a Coyote swap before even having their hands on a Bronco make me chuckle tho.

Sponsored

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would love it, but the deep skirt is probably a problem with IFS.
It's noticeably narrower than a 5.0 and sits low in a Super Duty engine bay. I'll climb underneath mine this weekend and see what it looks like.

Top view.
Ford Bronco Lets discuss why there should/not be a v8 option! 20210305_110516

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The 5.0 isn't powerful enough to be a legitimate option. That's why the take rate on the F150 is so low. It's like the manual trans. Everyone seems to say they want one, but few actually buy one. How many people are going to spend more money on an engine that will make their vehicle slower and less fuel efficient. The 2.7 also has a better reliability track record.

Power is not absolute, it varies throughout the rev. range. Even though on paper the 5.0 has more absolute HP, the average HP, say on a 0-60 run, is less than the 2.7 because the 5.0 only really starts making decent power at the top of it's rev range. The 2.7 makes more power down low and and keeps it through the rev range.

The only advantage of the 5.0 then is that it sounds better, which is great, but from a purely objective performance standpoint it's an inferior motor for a vehicle like the Bronco.

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That jawn be monkee strong wit da 2.7 bannanasa and ish

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Coyote is a wide bish and won't fit in the engine bay of the Bronco. The Hemi as well as the LS being cam-in-block motors are both considerably smaller physically than the overhead cam mod motor.

Then the power band for the Coyote is all wrong for a fairly heavy slow crawling off-roader. The Coyote loves to rev. Its power comes on way up high. On the trail, low-end torque is king.

A smaller displacement version of the Godzilla, which went back to a cam-in-block design, makes more sense but there's been zero indication there is a plan to go down to 5 to 6L with it.

Stack on concerns about emissions regulations and you have zero chance of a V8 from the factory. Maybe a few years down the road the aftermarket will come up with something if you've got the deep pockets for it. All these shops that have promised a Coyote swap before even having their hands on a Bronco make me chuckle tho.
They will build a smaller displacement, aluminum head (block too possibly) version. It could be headed for the Raptor R and will likely at minimum be a crate motor form Ford Performance.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-6-8-liter-v8-engine-godzilla/
Sponsored