Sponsored

Lets discuss why there should/not be a v8 option!

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not sure where everyone is getting the idea that the coyote won't fit in the engine bay. Ford never said that. Ford already said the reasoning for ditching the V8 was the the taxing they would receive on each model made with the V8. I imagine they didn't want anything that would gum up production of the broncos debut (pause for laughter), they knew they could get it green lit easier without a V8 and appease the EPA numbers.
Now that the broncos been green lit and being built, its not impossible that the V8 will eventually be in a special edition raptor costing bronco further down the line.
As much as I love the classic V8 in a bronco, I'm not sure if spending 60k+ on one would have me keeping that love

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Performance models are brought out to prop up an existing model. With the first and second years of production already sold there really no reason. Except to stave off an occasional Jeep ad. Ford needs to stay focused on first making the Bronco, then refining it. And then think about silly hi-po versions. And by silly I mean cool but impractical. :cool:

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
From the sound stand point and if the engine fits in the engine bay nicely, is a clean appearance and affordable option, a V8 5.0 may peak my interest. (Affordable like the upgrade from the 2.3 to 2.7 currently is). The 2.3 and 2.7 have plenty of power to me, so no real need for a V8 in this Bronco. If they are going to make it a hefty option and price is going to be like 60K or something, I would have 0 interest.

Why do we need so much power? Back in the day, I'll admit the Bronco desperately need the V8 option- 289 or 302. I know- I first had one with the 170 CI straight six. I think it made 90 or 100 HP? It was good off road but an absolute slug on the road. Trying to go 60 was pushing it. I had to floor it everywhere. I then went to my next Bronco, one with a 302 and it had plenty of power- like 200 or so. It felt like a hot rod actually. And the 2.3 makes more than the V8 back then. So the 2.7 makes that much more more, should already be overkill.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Higher likelihood you get an E-Bronco version than a V-8 Bronco. I am not sure the V-8 gets you any tangible improvement in performance (for the Broncos intended purpose). Electric or hybrids are the trend now. I could see way more people buying E version in warm weather states (Cali for instance) where the climate suits this type of car, but a V-8 would be prohibitive for many buyers.

For most buyers, this is a lifestyle vehicle, so an E option fits into this mold.

Sponsored

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford is all in on ecoboost technology. Smaller boosted motors with the same or more power, but still get decent fuel econ. I am old school as can be and love a V8 as much as the next, but I'm also fine with technology moving forward. Having owned 2 3.5 ecoboost trucks I'm pumped for the 2.7 in the Bronco.

I agree with others will see an E version long before a v8.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love engines, and I love options. If this Bronco was coming out 10 years ago I think it could get away with offering more. Ironically nowadays it would be easier to offer more options but the appetite for the business isn't there. Ford, like other manufactures needs to balance initial costs, with making current offerings competitive while keeping an eye on the future which is certainly not 4+ internal combustion engine options. A performance based hybrid is no doubt part of the near term vision, a full on BEV is only speculation. I'll say it again, I love engines but I think the sun is setting on them, more so out of cultural and political pressure than any real engineering/environmental constraints.

Enter my hypothetical alternate reality:
My dream would be to offer the 2.3 and 2.7/3.0 as they do, a 5.0 V8, or a smaller displacement V8 if it existed in this alternate reality and lastly a small diesel. I would prefer a 3.0 I-6 to the 2.0 I-4 but either would be cool. In a crazy hypothetical universe they could lump the v8 and diesel fans together with something like a 4-5l V8. Something Cummins, Ford, and GM have developed to various success. Problem there is you don't get the full benefit of either in this application. Would I take it? yes. would I understand that the added weight over a gasser v8 and added fuel consumption over a tiny diesel is less ideal? also yes.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From the sound stand point and if the engine fits in the engine bay nicely, is a clean appearance and affordable option, a V8 5.0 may peak my interest. (Affordable like the upgrade from the 2.3 to 2.7 currently is). The 2.3 and 2.7 have plenty of power to me, so no real need for a V8 in this Bronco. If they are going to make it a hefty option and price is going to be like 60K or something, I would have 0 interest.

Why do we need so much power? Back in the day, I'll admit the Bronco desperately need the V8 option- 289 or 302. I know- I first had one with the 170 CI straight six. I think it made 90 or 100 HP? It was good off road but an absolute slug on the road. Trying to go 60 was pushing it. I had to floor it everywhere. I then went to my next Bronco, one with a 302 and it had plenty of power- like 200 or so. It felt like a hot rod actually. And the 2.3 makes more than the V8 back then. So the 2.7 makes that much more more, should already be overkill.
You aren’t factoring weight when talking about hp. The new Bronco is going to weigh how much more than the original? Double?

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would like a small displacement V8, around 4.0L, if I could pick. I don't care about the power it makes, but the simplicity.

As someone who worked for a large dealer network (one of the largest in the country), handling extended warranty claims (for vehicles outside the normal factory warranty), I would much rather have a naturally-aspirated V8 with moderate power than a turbo engine. In fact, I'd rather have the Jeep I-6, at 190 hp, than either the 2.3L or 2.7L Eco-boost.

I handled claims for turbos every single day, five days a week.

Another thing to consider is, obviously and more importantly, anarchy is a valid political philosophy and ideology.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
The only V8 option that will really make sense in the Bronco will be gutting everything in 20 years and dropping an LS or Godzilla in there.

One VERY cool thing about swaps in the future is with the 10 speed being a GM/Ford collaboration there should be options to swap engines without doing much to the tranny. My Dream is turning my bronco into a 4400 ultra4 car in 15-20 years so that should make things easier as far as powertrain is concerned.

Sponsored

ScrunchFace

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Follow the money. That’s usually the reason ;)

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would pass on the 5.0, in my unpopular opinion they don't even sound that good as far as V8's go (sounds like they are running underwater)

A baby 'zilla... heck yeah.

Honestly as someone who keeps vehicles for long periods of time and high miles... Ecoboost is like the least awesome thing to me about the new Bronco or even a newer F-150.