First Name
Jim Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I never reserved anything, just exploring options. Kudos to Ford for offering a manual at all I guess. I imagine in 10 years the manual gearbox will just be a memory us old guys talk about.
Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I never reserved anything, just exploring options. Kudos to Ford for offering a manual at all I guess. I imagine in 10 years the manual gearbox will just be a memory us old guys talk about.
Special thanks to Jeep and Toyota for keeping the manual alive all these years. Ford was done with manuals in trucks in the F-250 in 2011, the F-150 back in 2009.

Nodrama43

Badlands
First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nunya
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
..and I really want a manual gearbox. But I have ZERO interest in a 4 cylinder vehicle. Should I just give up on a Bronco? Will they ever offer the 2.7 with the manual? Should I just get a Rubicon right now?
yes

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, autos have come a long way. Doesn't meant I want one. I've had manual sports cars that are no doubt slower than their DCT counterparts. Still far more enjoyable to drive the manual.

As for the 4 cylinder, granted I haven't driven both Broncos. But go drive the 5.7L V8 in the Grand Cherokee L or even an ancient Tunda then go push a pedal on half the cylinders. Just doesn't compare.
Although not sure where you're getting this disdain for the modern 4 banger, particularly in this vehicle which you haven't driven any version of or paired with the manual....... but hey, no worries.

However, if it is that important to you and you seem to want to sound like a high horsepower guy, you can easily just drop in a crate Coyote and a crate manual tranny at any time.

Sure, it'l cost a few pennies, but, you got it ain't ya? Send it on down to Bubba in Texas at Exodus 4x4 and his boys will hook things up real good.

You know, being such a purist and all who wouldn't dare be caught dead in a 4 cylinder; what would the boys down at the club think? :oops:!!

Now, yes, that's a dig at you, but you don't sound good in this thread and guys with the manual 4 need not be made to feel any less of their Bronco because that thing has more power than any Bronco has ever come with.

For the record, I'm getting the 6er, but not because I felt the 4 wasn't good enough because it is more than enough power.

Otherwise, the Jeep dealership is just down the street yonder, and they're open. :cautious:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
..and I really want a manual gearbox. But I have ZERO interest in a 4 cylinder vehicle. Should I just give up on a Bronco? Will they ever offer the 2.7 with the manual? Should I just get a Rubicon right now?
Nix the waiting. That's a fool's errand, for folks who act like they will live forever. Unless you already have and are enjoying open top 4x4s. Then waiting is not as big a deal.

Jeep is a solid option, you'd have loads of top down fun exploring with one. Now.

I'm in same boat as you with this reservation cr@p dragging things out even further. Weigh the options and loss of opportunity.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Unless you buy a 2.3L with the manual transmission now... ;)

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Don't jump ship just. Rumor on the street from a few months back is that Ford was looking into a manual with the 2.7L. But, I'm sure they will have to retool a tranny strong enough for the engine. Hopefully for those wanting a third pedal we will hear more about this sometime in the near future. I think right now Ford has their hands full with this Webasto debacle..

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm in no hurry.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've only owned one vehicle with an automatic, and that's only because it wasn't available with a manual at the time I was in the market.

My other 4 cars in the fleet are manuals. I'm the one of old guys... The 4-cylinder is 300 HP and 320 pound of Torque. That's the same as my Alpha H3T, which is auto and sucks. Yup, the 10-speed is better than the ancient 4L60 in the Hummer, but it still shifts when it wants, so it still sucks. 300HP is plenty of power for a 4,500-pound Bronco. Being able to shift for yourself adds horse power because you can use the power better than with the automatic.

If you are going to do serious trail riding, the auto offers advantages, but that's not related to cylinder count or engine displacement.

My 2 cents.

Sponsored

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think you answered your own question. Buy what you want, and what you want isn’t available from Ford, and isn’t likely to ever be. Why compromise? There is nothing wrong with a Jeep Rubicon.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

But there's no way in hades I'd pay $50k+ for a four popper. Wouldn't care if they boosted it to 400hp.
Annnddd it's this kind of closed-minded thinking that makes you miss out on fun stuff.

The 2.3L EB is just plain better than the 3.6L Pentastar. Hell, The 2.0T in the Jeep is better than the Pentastar. Go drive one and tell me you don't come away impressed.

Also, don't tell me it's because of the sound. The 3.6L Pentastar sounds like garbage.

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can't believe people are still on the "4 banger ain't gon cut it" stuff. The V6 only makes 30 more hp, and with a tune, the 2.3 can make that difference up. The 2.3 ecoboost makes more power than the 302 or 351 that came in the Broncos did. It will be FINE.
It's not like the 2.7 even sounds any better. They're both buzzy little turds that get engine vroom vroom noises piped into the speakers to help the driver compensate for his tiny dick.
Not to mention a turbo is like bolting on 4 more cylinders anyway.
If you can't cope with it, go get a jeep with an even shittier v6 and even less power, and kindly help me roll my Bronco back over or pull me out of a mudhole when you come by...
I'll be the one bragging about his crawl ratio...