Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Things that I didn't think about prior to purchasing. I have had a hard top (Version 2.0) for 3-4 months and just picked up a factory soft top. Couple of noticable things are the soft doesn't open as far. I'm 6ft tall and wacked my head on the soft top, this was an issue with my hard top that I solved with a 2" lift.

Measurements are 37" of height with hard top and 34.5" with soft top (plastic lip at base of rear hatch to lowest point in the center of the top in open position.

Next thing is the soft top moves up 9" when open in back. This does cause a concern for me when opening the soft top inside the garage.

Soft top
PXL_20220807_194708131.jpg

Clearance Issue
PXL_20220807_194728772.jpg

Irish Wolfhound puppy testing
PXL_20220807_194856287.jpg

Hard top clearance
PXL_20220506_215436826.jpg
Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Things that I didn't think about prior to purchasing. I have had a hard top (Version 2.0) for 3-4 months and just picked up a factory soft top. Couple of noticable things are the soft doesn't open as far. I'm 6ft tall and wacked my head on the soft top, this was an issue with my hard top that I solved with a 2" lift.

Measurements are 37" of height with hard top and 34.5" with soft top (plastic lip at base of rear hatch to lowest point in the center of the top in open position.

Next thing is the soft top moves up 9" when open in back. This does cause a concern for me when opening the soft top inside the garage.

Soft top
Ford Bronco Let's talk about MIC, Soft Tops and Bestop PXL_20220506_215436826

Clearance Issue

Irish Wolfhound puppy testing

Hard top clearance
At least you donā€™t have a wind rated garage door, you would have large struts on each panel giving you even less room for clearance. Each option has its advantages and disadvantages. Hate when it rains that the way the soft top is built it pours in the driver door when you open it. I live in south FL so having a top that easily taken down/removed was top priority. My garage ceiling isnā€™t quite high enough for a hard top lift to work correctly. The best top seems nice but not cheap for a lot of the same functions you get from the factory

image.jpg

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

At least you donā€™t have a wind rated garage door, you would have large struts on each panel giving you even less room for clearance. Each option has its advantages and disadvantages. Hate when it rains that the way the soft top is built it pours in the driver door when you open it. I live in south FL so having a top that easily taken down/removed was top priority. My garage ceiling isnā€™t quite high enough for a hard top lift to work correctly. The best top seems nice but not cheap for a lot of the same functions you get from the factory
I was on the fence about buying a Bestop, big deterrent for me was the back not staying open on its own. Otherwise I agree the function is to similar to swap out. I do like the slant back look but I wouldn't want to lose the space or have the possibility of something poking a hole in the slant.

That wind rated door costs you clearance.

Bucker

Base
First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sold my soft top and bought a Trek Top. Long install but loving it so far. Looks great no rattles and much quieter.

Sponsored

equitasforall

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since Bestop is actually the manufacturer for the OEM Jeep soft tops i wish they could replicate that somehow for the 2 door. Loved being able to drop the top on my ā€˜18 Rubicon all the way back in 2 minutes, with it riding at the top of the tailgate instead of at the top of the roll bar in back.

Also not a fan of the ā€œfastbackā€ style. Will look at the modular hard top when it comes available, but just pulling the front two MIC panels arenā€™t getting it done for me. Eventually will be able to take the whole top off, but in the meantime, the soft top is all I miss about my old Jeep.

Last edited:

greenmachine343

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bestop for the 2 door is pretty good.

Only issues I have had is shipping problems and installation issues regarding how tight the fabric is. Putting on the windows is a pain and itā€™s extremely tight. But thatā€™s what makes them look better than the ford one. Also fishing the cable out was a pain

As for noise itā€™s slightly louder than the hard top.

I donā€™t regret it but I feel like it might be just too much work to take off for the winter

Anybody know any power tools that could make removing the hardware faster/easier without hurting the bolts?

Cpalms

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was on the fence about buying a Bestop, big deterrent for me was the back not staying open on its own. Otherwise I agree the function is to similar to swap out. I do like the slant back look but I wouldn't want to lose the space or have the possibility of something poking a hole in the slant.

That wind rated door costs you clearance.
I have the Bestop Trektop (slanted) on my JLU and my previous JK.. The slant is a non issue in terms of usability. The slant is purely aesthetics with virtually no loss of functionality..

Sponsored

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You hit your head like getting in and out of the seat? Or reaching in the cargo area? I wish there was a easy way to swing or remove the bar on the soft top. I too find it gets in the way of loading stuff.

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am keeping my hard top, my issue with my hard top has been pin stripping from off roading. MIC top is softer than the actual paint. I actually think the plastic soft top windows are more durable.

Still waiting to see how long the MIC last vs Soft top. Both seem to be a 5 year product.

Bestop_Team

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Bestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Bestop for the 2 door is pretty good.

Only issues I have had is shipping problems and installation issues regarding how tight the fabric is. Putting on the windows is a pain and itā€™s extremely tight. But thatā€™s what makes them look better than the ford one. Also fishing the cable out was a pain

As for noise itā€™s slightly louder than the hard top.

I donā€™t regret it but I feel like it might be just too much work to take off for the winter

Anybody know any power tools that could make removing the hardware faster/easier without hurting the bolts?
Hello!
It should become easier to put on and remove over time once the fabric has time to stretch and mold to the Bronco.

-Eryn@Bestop
Sponsored