chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Seems likely that Ford will provide an option for a factory winch or at least a factory winch plate. Without a doubt the plate will be made for the typical low profile winch with integrate solenoid. I am all in already (I have the winch!) going to attempt to put on the 8274-70... I know it will be a custom bumper/mount.... Hopefully it turns out looking badass and a bit retro
Ford Bronco Let's talk winches for the Bronco 74706202_441735903434683_9117265192731412982_n
Ford Bronco Let's talk winches for the Bronco nick-sharp39-s-trix-early-bronco-restorations---custom-fabrication---sharp34-big-easy-sharp34-
Ford Bronco Let's talk winches for the Bronco 0004176_limited-edition-70th-anniversary-m8274-70-winch
Sponsored

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would say it’s a pretty much guarantee you will need to do a custom bumper. Personally I’m one for the behind bumper mount winch, and if that’s not applicable I’ll ad some square tubing and a tow package and do a hitch mount probably. Custom bumpers are expensive and I got those student loans.

OP
OP
chtucker

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I would say it’s a pretty much guarantee you will need to do a custom bumper. Personally I’m one for the behind bumper mount winch, and if that’s not applicable I’ll ad some square tubing and a tow package and do a hitch mount probably. Custom bumpers are expensive and I got those student loans.
99% sure it will be a custom front bumper. Debating whether to do aluminum,, steel or steel center section with aluminum wings. I have some great fabricator friends..

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My Warn xd9000 with synth line would be coming off of my JK. From the looks of the leaked shots of the heavy duty bumper, low-profile winches that don't integrate the solenoid look like they should fit within the bumper just fine.

It will be interesting to see how well the front suspension handles winch weight.

Engineerd

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The JL can fit a winch in the factory steel bumper no problem, Mopar aftermarket parts offers a winch plate that you can get from the dealer. They are for the low profile newer Zeon style winches. I would not be surprised at all if there is some sort of option from the factory to mount a winch in the factory Bronco bumper, if not at least some plastic that could be trimmed to accommodate it.

I would not be too concerned with the winch weight, the new winches (especially with synthetic lines) are not that heavy. If you go to a aftermarket steel plate style bumper, then yea, you would need to worry about it. I doubt it will be too big of a deal due to the coilover suspension, you could at least add a small spacer for preload to the stock setup, or with aftermarket coilovers just set a little more preload into them.

Sponsored

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The JL can fit a winch in the factory steel bumper no problem, Mopar aftermarket parts offers a winch plate that you can get from the dealer. They are for the low profile newer Zeon style winches. I would not be surprised at all if there is some sort of option from the factory to mount a winch in the factory Bronco bumper, if not at least some plastic that could be trimmed to accommodate it.

I would not be too concerned with the winch weight, the new winches (especially with synthetic lines) are not that heavy. If you go to a aftermarket steel plate style bumper, then yea, you would need to worry about it. I doubt it will be too big of a deal due to the coilover suspension, you could at least add a small spacer for preload to the stock setup, or with aftermarket coilovers just set a little more preload into them.
Zeons are 20 pounds heavier apples to apples (both winches using synth) when compared to Warn's older style non-integrated control pack winches like the M8000 or xd9000. Which means with a Zeon, you're basically giving up the weight savings gain acquired from using synthetic line.

Different vehicles react in different ways to the weight of a winch on the front. The extra weight doesn't just mess with suspension load but also roll center, the forward weight bias, braking, etc.

Engineerd

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
BroncoRick,
From what I can tell (and from picking them up...) a Warn 8274 is 110 pounds and a Zeon 12S is about 85. Either way you are correct, sticking that much weight up on the nose of a vehicle changes things. I know I would rather have the 8274 for the increased speed. I have spent some long days waiting for these Zeon winches to hurry up and spool in.

ChrispyKC,
As far as I know, Ford has been benchmarking the Wrangler. They should be winch compatible from the get go, if not I bet there is an option in the Ford Performance catalog at the dealer as soon as they are released.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yowch $1495 ... ARB makes nice stuff tho.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know its asking alot but it would have been awesome if the bronco was designed with a mid mounted winch setup like this below. I saw these on a english built Foers Ibex. Been in love with the idea ever since.

Foers1.jpg
Sponsored