Sponsored

Level-Up the Symphony (yeah.. speakers) -- swapping dashboard speakers with some JL Audio C2-400x speakers

bigbender

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend, 328i, Telluride, Titan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I took delivery of my Big Bend last Saturday and have been having a blast. It's got the entry level sound system, so 6 speakers (qty 4 - 4" and qty 2 - 6.5"). The sound quality was on par with a 1990 vintage Magnavox boombox. I started by just swapping the two dashboard up facing 4-inchers with some JL Audio C2-400x speakers. My goodness, what an improvement. Next step will be to swap the 6.5s in the kick panels then design a rear rollbar mount to accommodate two 6x9s to grab the low frequency tunes. If anyone is interested in what I put together for the rears, let me know.

PXL_20210802_230218872.jpg

PXL_20210804_234452603.jpg
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stupid question, but the dash speakers: Do you need to remove the dash or simply the speaker cover? Just plug & play?

What about the other ones?

YTFORD

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge ST & 2020 GT PP2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would love to see some pics and thoughts on the kick panel portion of the install. Ive done the other two 4 inch swaps already.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Interested in what you come up with.

FWIW, Crutchfield told me the Polk auto speakers are pretty much marine grade. Of course I’ve been running regular auto grade MBQuarts in my JK for years so I think going for the better audio is more important than water proofing.

Sponsored

Heynongman

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I took delivery of my Big Bend last Saturday and have been having a blast. It's got the entry level sound system, so 6 speakers (qty 4 - 4" and qty 2 - 6.5"). The sound quality was on par with a 1990 vintage Magnavox boombox. I started by just swapping the two dashboard up facing 4-inchers with some JL Audio C2-400x speakers. My goodness, what an improvement. Next step will be to swap the 6.5s in the kick panels then design a rear rollbar mount to accommodate two 6x9s to grab the low frequency tunes. If anyone is interested in what I put together for the rears, let me know.

Ford Bronco Level-Up the Symphony (yeah.. speakers) -- swapping dashboard speakers with some JL Audio C2-400x speakers PXL_20210804_234452603

Ford Bronco Level-Up the Symphony (yeah.. speakers) -- swapping dashboard speakers with some JL Audio C2-400x speakers PXL_20210804_234452603
what was your wiring harness solution?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@bigbender I think there is great interest to see others document their experience in upgrading the stock stereo system. Please continue to share. Also, when doing so, update the original post as an ongoing build journal so others can see your progress on the main post.

broncbeau

Big Bend
First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

following...be great to see what else you do here

Sponsored
OP
OP
bigbender

bigbender

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nice! Yes part numbers and pics for this mod would be great.

So the head unit or whatever recall it these days, is capable of improved sound with better Speakers?
Definitely. It's not going to bump the dB output, but definitely clean up the sound.

OP
OP
bigbender

bigbender

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

what was your wiring harness solution?
No wiring harness options that I know of yet. I spliced using the crimps provided by the speaker manufacturer and did some crafty work with some adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.

OP
OP
bigbender

bigbender

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would love to see some pics and thoughts on the kick panel portion of the install. Ive done the other two 4 inch swaps already.
I haven't done the kick panels yet, but pulled the panels off to take a look at the speakers (see photos attached). I don't recommend removing the small perforated speaker cover but rather the entire kick panel. You can not access the speaker mounting screws by just removing the perforated cover. To remove the whole kick panel you have to start by removing the plastic guard on the door sill. Then you can pop off the kick panel.

Ford Bronco Level-Up the Symphony (yeah.. speakers) -- swapping dashboard speakers with some JL Audio C2-400x speakers PXL_20210802_234030387

Ford Bronco Level-Up the Symphony (yeah.. speakers) -- swapping dashboard speakers with some JL Audio C2-400x speakers PXL_20210802_233951540

Ford Bronco Level-Up the Symphony (yeah.. speakers) -- swapping dashboard speakers with some JL Audio C2-400x speakers PXL_20210802_233357586

OP
OP
bigbender

bigbender

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Stupid question, but the dash speakers: Do you need to remove the dash or simply the speaker cover? Just plug & play?

What about the other ones?
Dash speakers can be replaced by just removing the perforated speaker cover. They can be tricky to pop off so you'll need to start with a very thin panel removal tool. Kick panel speakers require the whole panel to come off.

YTFORD

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge ST & 2020 GT PP2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The kick panel speakers are at least made of a better quality material but the 25 watt limit makes them almost a necessity to replace if you do the other 2 sets.

How do you plan to re-wire the kick panels?
Sponsored