Sponsored

Leveling kit (front only) is that okay? ...(wheel gap #s included, FYI)

lightbulb

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Suspension is pretty simple. There is a limited amount of movement. Something is going to stop the wheel from moving up and something is going to stop it from going down. Properly designed those somethings are safe and reliable ways to stop the movement. People get into trouble when they start throwing parts on and end up making it so something like their ball joints become the down limiter or their dampener becomes the up. That is why you hear that spacers are bad. There is nothing wrong with spacers if done right.

Also, I see a lot of people put stiffer springs or crank the pre-load on their coilovers so they get the look they want. Keep in mind that if the wheel is sitting near the lowest point while at rest then every time you drive over a hole the whole truck has to fall into the hole instead of just the wheel. Or you take a high speed corner and the outside wheel gets unweighted. Either way the truck rides like crap.

When it comes to suspension you usually have to take something to get something, unless you change more than springs and dampeners.
Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A lot of people do like the look but personally I do not like levelling kits. As soon as a leaf blows into the back it becomes a tail dragger.

lightbulb

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
A lot of people do like the look but personally I do not like levelling kits. As soon as a leaf blows into the back it becomes a tail dragger.
Or a couple of beer bellied buddies in the back...

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Based on my research, i am not seeing a lot of guys get a leveling kit for only the front. They do all four corners and raise the entire truck and keep level. Based on the look of things, trims with standard duty suspension have a ~1.0" rake. Is there anything wrong with just raising the front, and keeping the rear totally stock? Will the ride be terribly off by doing this?

Many people, including myself, are planning on upgrading to 33s, which IMO leaves not a lot of wheel gap upfront. It is still manageable, but may look off. I think a ~1" lift kit on the front would really complete the look. Honestly, I prefer to not raise the rear, just something subtle and level by adjusting the front. Thinking of say Fox 2.0 adjustable coilover in the front (thinking of going to either the 1st or 2nd setting). From what I am reading, i THINK there are 3 settings, maxed at 2.0" lift, with setting 1 starting at 0.8". But i could be wrong.

FYI - here are the numbers

Tape measured - BL rear wheel gap is 7.5". Given tire is 32.7", the distance from spindle to flare is 23.85". Sasquatch is 1.2" lift, and BL is 0.4" less (this has been confirmed). So standard duty suspension is 23.05" from spindle to flare. Apply that to say, an OBX with a 32.1" tire, and there is 7.0" rear gap.

Eyeing photos the rake (if I were to guess) is 1.0", and the difference in wheel well gap is 1.5"

Stock BL: 6.0" gap front / 7.5" gap rear
Stock OBX: 5.5" gap front / 7.0" gap rear
OBX on 33.2" tires: 4.95" front / 6.45" gap rear (so now the front starts to look a bit off...)

So as you could see, a solid 1" lift on the front would be perfect, with some improved ride quality.

From what I am reading, the Fox 2.0 Performance Coilovers are around $480 (just the front 2). Install sounds to be $150/wheel. Alignment (i would need anyway with tires). So ~$800 to lift the front an inch or more to level it....I could justify that. Especially if it's improved ride quality over stock standard duty front suspension.
Rake on Sasquatch and OBX I measured in person with a tape measure was 1 3/4".

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What exactly did you measure to get to that figure?

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So bumping it up an inch with stiffer springs will be about perfect..it will look level, won't run proud with normal loads, and will look better overall. I hope someone tests and makes them quickly.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Like I said, II used a tape measure.

Didn't get pics of the OBX measurements. DOH!

I'm on my phone, can't post pics of the Sasquatch right now for some reason.
Will do so tonight

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Based on my research, i am not seeing a lot of guys get a leveling kit for only the front. They do all four corners and raise the entire truck and keep level. Based on the look of things, trims with standard duty suspension have a ~1.0" rake. Is there anything wrong with just raising the front, and keeping the rear totally stock? Will the ride be terribly off by doing this?

Many people, including myself, are planning on upgrading to 33s, which IMO leaves not a lot of wheel gap upfront. It is still manageable, but may look off. I think a ~1" lift kit on the front would really complete the look. Honestly, I prefer to not raise the rear, just something subtle and level by adjusting the front. Thinking of say Fox 2.0 adjustable coilover in the front (thinking of going to either the 1st or 2nd setting). From what I am reading, i THINK there are 3 settings, maxed at 2.0" lift, with setting 1 starting at 0.8". But i could be wrong.

FYI - here are the numbers

Tape measured - BL rear wheel gap is 7.5". Given tire is 32.7", the distance from spindle to flare is 23.85". Sasquatch is 1.2" lift, and BL is 0.4" less (this has been confirmed). So standard duty suspension is 23.05" from spindle to flare. Apply that to say, an OBX with a 32.1" tire, and there is 7.0" rear gap.

Eyeing photos the rake (if I were to guess) is 1.0", and the difference in wheel well gap is 1.5"

Stock BL: 6.0" gap front / 7.5" gap rear
Stock OBX: 5.5" gap front / 7.0" gap rear
OBX on 33.2" tires: 4.95" front / 6.45" gap rear (so now the front starts to look a bit off...)

So as you could see, a solid 1" lift on the front would be perfect, with some improved ride quality.

From what I am reading, the Fox 2.0 Performance Coilovers are around $480 (just the front 2). Install sounds to be $150/wheel. Alignment (i would need anyway with tires). So ~$800 to lift the front an inch or more to level it....I could justify that. Especially if it's improved ride quality over stock standard duty front suspension.
Agreed if it is 1 and 3/4" rake a 1" lift will be perfect. The less rake and higher stance will make it more prone to rollover. I'm planning on 33s aftermarket wheels with a larger offset so they stick out more to help reduce the rollover possibility. A 1 inch strut spacer should be in the 30 to 100 dollar range and really easy to install if it is anything like the Ranger setup, probably around 3 hours...It would give you the same ride quality as stock. You could do it yourself and you do need an alignment done, not due to the tires but due to the new geometry of the front assembly. New adjustable shocks/struts would work as well but in the 1k range for the 2019 fox performance series. They would give you a better ride. The link is for the Ranger and I"m guessing the Bronco will be similar.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/9...0-IFP-Performance-Front-Coilovers-3-Lift.html

The 2.5" spacer install in the ranger is more complicated due to the axles that can easily be overextended and ruined trying to put the strut back into place and several other issues that are created with how the spacers are designed. Its a 3 hour install if you know exactly what you are doing......In the Ranger there is that much Rake though and many people do just the front since the rear can already accommodate bigger tires due to the fact that they dont turn and it is about 2.5 to 3" taller than the front stock. Its very common for Ranger folks to do just the front and leave the rear alone.
Its a solid plan!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@Incognito
I meant what exactly did you measure, as in, what parts of the car? The ground tothe front door sill, and the ground to the rear door sill, for example....and was it on a 2 door or a 4 door

Bemcnamara

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F56S MINI
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Newby question. Why do they come from the factory un-level?

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dont do it you will look like a douche and your truck nutz will drag the ground! Ouch!

Seriously it looks dumb. Its a trend that came from a mix of taco prerunner style the big wheel dubs culture, which is a bastardization that wealthy white folks pulled out of the lowrider culture. It does nothing for you offroad and blinds other drivers on road because nobody that only lifts half their truck has time to adjust their headlights, they just add more lightbars that are not DOT approved and leave them on full time.

Dont be that guy.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
I apologize for the delay.

Also, the 315/70R17 GY Territory tires are 34 1/4" high under load.
Pretty typical for 315/70R17s.

Here they are.
Ford Bronco Leveling kit (front only) is that okay? ...(wheel gap #s included, FYI) 20201116_073740 (1)
Ford Bronco Leveling kit (front only) is that okay? ...(wheel gap #s included, FYI) 20201116_073732 (1)

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I apologize for the delay.

Also, the 315/70R17 GY Territory tires are 34 1/4" high under load.
Pretty typical for 315/70R17s.

Here they are.
Ford Bronco Leveling kit (front only) is that okay? ...(wheel gap #s included, FYI) 20201116_073732 (1)
Thanks. Yeah that’s was the point. Not technically the rake just difference in flare sizes

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks. How come a lot of ppl say not to go that route? What got you comfortable with it? The price?
All kinds of people have all kinds of opinions. I used spacers because of the price point, yes. I needed just a little more clearance for the 35"s up front. I used 2" and no my truck did not become a self destructing death trap. It allowed me (see my avatar pic there on the left) to take on some pretty ridiculous trails in Moab. Drove it there and drove it back home. No issues and very much fun was had! YMMV.
Sponsored