First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD Edge
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not looking to start a Chevy vs Ford race war. Just here for some honest input and guidance as I am admittedly apprehensive about, not only owning my first brand new vehicle, but my first Ford at that. I always said the only vehicle to turn me away from Chevy would be the revival of a Bronco. And here we are.

A little background. My only experience with Ford is having a little brother who bought a 2013 focus and has had a nightmare with their customer service while dealing with many a recall. While I know the Focus is a wildly different vehicle than the Bronco, I'm just wondering what i can expect from the customer service side of things beyond this isolated experience. And I'm also curious about Fords reliability from actual previous owners as I've had pretty good luck with my GM vehicles. In other words I need someone to tell me its gonna be alright...

Thanks.
It is probably not going to be perfectly "alright". It can be argued that Ford knew about and continued to sell Focuses into the market after there were unresolved problems. Ford's fix for the Focus transmission was minimal. The Bronco is a new model and we can expect some problems. I had to take my new 2019 Ranger in for a lose radiator hose clamp a month after I got it and their have been recalls. This Bronco launch is vey high profile and Ford will likely do everything they can to have it come off smoothly. I have far more trust in Ford over GM as they have many more skeletons out there. There is some risk in buying a first year Bronco. Most of us are willing to take the plunge because we have already been waiting for so long.
Sponsored

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not looking to start a Chevy vs Ford race war. Just here for some honest input and guidance as I am admittedly apprehensive about, not only owning my first brand new vehicle, but my first Ford at that. I always said the only vehicle to turn me away from Chevy would be the revival of a Bronco. And here we are.

A little background. My only experience with Ford is having a little brother who bought a 2013 focus and has had a nightmare with their customer service while dealing with many a recall. While I know the Focus is a wildly different vehicle than the Bronco, I'm just wondering what i can expect from the customer service side of things beyond this isolated experience. And I'm also curious about Fords reliability from actual previous owners as I've had pretty good luck with my GM vehicles. In other words I need someone to tell me its gonna be alright...

Thanks.
I had a 97 Ford explorer that was a very good vehicle for 12 years, however the Ford service department was terrible. Many stories and many different dealerships in the North Dallas area. All were bad.

One example: I took it in for oil change/rotation of tires to keep up with warranty expectations. Watched them work on my car. They told me for both services were done and it was written on receipt. Then I asked them how they rotated the tires without lifting it off the ground. Dumb stares and lots of blaming the other guy...

Another example: Had an integrated child seat that had a recall. Took it in with an appointment. Told me parts were not in and had to wait a week. When I picked it up, they forgot to attach the seat belts. Had to wait for them to do that.

There are other examples but the bottom line is the car was great but the service was terrible. Told myself I would not do Ford again. Chevy service has been great by the way for a car that I've also had for 12 years.

But then the Bronco came along....

ScoobyDrew

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've driven a bunch of different vehicles from different manufacturers and have no qualms about going to a Ford product. Ford looks like they took a bit of a leap going this direction (Chevy dropped the ball w/ the Blazer - could have had generated similar interest just like the Bronco is doing) and I really think the product will be solid! There will be quirks and things to deal with, no doubt, but I guess I'm ready for that as I currently drive a BMW!

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Part of my job is to manage a fleet of emergency vehicles... Ive transitioned us to all Fords where possible, and am excited to be buying a Bronco personally.

It’ll be fine.

There’s someone on the forum who manages extended warranty claims for a ton of different manufactures, and who sees the data and knows the horror stories... and they are excited to buy a Bronco.

I’ll be fine.

It’s a massed produced vehicle so i can’t promise no one will have an issue... and I’m certain we’ll hear all about it here, but Ford is a reputable company with a strong track record and it’s in their best interest to provide you and everyone else with a good ownership experience.

It’ll be fine.
I also manage a fleet of 1300 trucks and we have tried the big three and have committed to Ford for the foreseeable future and are currently purging the few remaining dodges and chevys.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They were slightly improved in 2018, but the basic engine architecture and design is the same. They all combine the water pump with bunch of other components (see IFC below). If you have to replace the water pump the entire front of the engine will have to be removed (as you see in the picture). Very expensive and very labor intensive to repair.

Here are the links for Bronco engines:

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/ford-2-7l-ecoboost-engine/
and
https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=146
You do not have to remove the IFC to change the water pump. It just bolts on to the IFC. it's not that hard of a job at all.

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You do not have to remove the IFC to change the water pump. It just bolts on to the IFC. it's not that hard of a job at all.
Oh boy i hope that is true ! the water pump will go sometime good to know its not the whole ifc ??

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco Lifelong Chevrolet Owner Getting Cold Feet Screenshot_20201203-201552_Samsung Internet
Ford Bronco Lifelong Chevrolet Owner Getting Cold Feet Screenshot_20201203-201552_Samsung Internet
yup looks like that sucker just bolts up

chownd

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I own a 2014 focus with most likely the same workings as your younger brother, and I wont sugar coat it, that transmission sucks. I love the car besides the transmission. For a little background, its a 6 speed dry DCT. It has bad seals, cracks in the TCM (which needs a reprogramming to fix), and the clutches were made of the wrong material or a cheap one.) It was new and exclusive to the focus/fiesta as of 2011. Its It shudders, randomly down shifts way to low sometimes, jerks, and all those problems are worse in stop and go driving. On the plus side, its nimble, quick for what it is, comfortable, and efficient. They extended the warranty 10 more years as of 2018 and 100k miles on the transmission because of how prone it is to failures and issues. Some people have no issues, some people have what i have with it, and some people need complete replacements. I've taken it in 3 times for a transmission module reprogram, and it helps every time, but the issues always come back. Obviously I would love if ford would just replace the transmission with a regular 6 speed auto but that would be a logistical nightmare, and extremely expensive for a small car that depreciates like crazy. (If they did that I would not be getting a Bronco) So with all that being said, I would not judge Ford's quality or reliability solely based on the focus, especially since its only problem is the transmission. The 10 speed auto in the Bronco has been proven in many f150's and ford SUVS.
I had a 14 focus. Replaced TCM 3 times and 2 new clutches (I guess 4 technically?)

I ditched it the day it was out of warranty and promised to never get another ford... And yet here we are and I have a day one reservation.

Mathematically I view it as next to impossible to fuck up that badly again so I think we're safe

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks.
What do you mean customer service? Like support from FMO or dealers? Because dealers are all basically independent from Ford and their service/support varries from one to another. Just like Chevy dealers. All vehicles will have recalls; that's a fact. It just comes down to the severity. A bunch of small things isn't a big deal. But major issues is; no bueno. Ford has been using these engines across their line for like a decade now. The 10 speed trans not as long. But it was developed along side GM and a lot of $ was spent in R&D on it. It's gotten a lot of praise and I personally love it. The frame is the same that's in the current Ranger; which is the same that's been in production over seas for like 6 years now. So all the major expensive bits are already proven components. I have the same 2.3L ecoboost and 10 speed in my Ranger that will be in the Bronco and they make a good combination. And I haven't any any issues with my truck at all for almost 2 years now. No shakes, leaks or rattles. Drives solid.

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I had a 14 focus. Replaced TCM 3 times and 2 new clutches (I guess 4 technically?)

I ditched it the day it was out of warranty and promised to never get another ford... And yet here we are and I have a day one reservation.

Mathematically I view it as next to impossible to fuck up that badly again so I think we're safe
Yeah, every other ford from a family member or friend has been perfectly fine. The transmissions have been great, especially the 8 speed and 10 speed. I also was about done with Ford, but I have A plan, so its to good to not get one

Sponsored

elnorte

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I suggest you get the LUX package and see if they will throw in heated floorboards for your feet. Kidding aside, I have the impulse every now and then to say f-it and go with something else, but I am pretty set on a Bronco.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP

Li2ardking

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What do you mean customer service? Like support from FMO or dealers? Because dealers are all basically independent from Ford and their service/support varries from one to another. Just like Chevy dealers. All vehicles will have recalls; that's a fact. It just comes down to the severity. A bunch of small things isn't a big deal. But major issues is; no bueno. Ford has been using these engines across their line for like a decade now. The 10 speed trans not as long. But it was developed along side GM and a lot of $ was spent in R&D on it. It's gotten a lot of praise and I personally love it. The frame is the same that's in the current Ranger; which is the same that's been in production over seas for like 6 years now. So all the major expensive bits are already proven components. I have the same 2.3L ecoboost and 10 speed in my Ranger that will be in the Bronco and they make a good combination. And I haven't any any issues with my truck at all for almost 2 years now. No shakes, leaks or rattles. Drives solid.
Yeah I guess for me a lot my apprehension is stemming from never having owned a new vehicle and having to deal with the dealerships. At this point it's more about that than the actual crossing over to the Ford brand because like many people pointed out every brand has its problems.

So I guess with the service side of things you make a good point too. They are independent from Ford so results may vary. I just worry with that. I.e. my brother will receive a notification in the mail every so often with a new recall on his focus usually for the clutch and other transmission issues. He will take it in. They look at it. Say they cant do anything about it. And instead of trying to fix it they have resolved to just trying to buy it out for an absurdly low amount of money. Its actually borderline insulting.

That's something I'm not interested in especially with my first new vehicle purchase. I'm going with a different dealer though with my reservation so I'm hopeful for a different experience. I've heard and read good things about them.