Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silverado Z71
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m sure I’m not the only one with a Lightning reserved and a Bronco on order. Gonna start taking bets on which one I see first. I expect the Lightning to be 2023 or 2024. Not sure the Bronco will beat that!
Sponsored

MyBroncoNotYours

Badlands
First Name
Good Try FBI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Help me understand the appeal of the lightning and I am not trying to be derogatory towards people buying it, I am just trying to understand... it won't be able to do truck things adequately as far as I understand. It can't tow or go off road without losing unacceptable amounts of charge (like every other electric vehicle) can it?
There are tons of people that have pickups in the US and they have never actually towed anything or used it to it’s full capacity. For the most part it seems like they like it’s stance/height, safety, and space. The vast majority never take a pickup truck “off roading” so this makes the number one selling vehicle in the US more environmentally friendly.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Makes sense. A nice application also would be for farms/ranches where it stays on the property.
And beach and similar ORV use.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m sure I’m not the only one with a Lightning reserved and a Bronco on order. Gonna start taking bets on which one I see first. I expect the Lightning to be 2023 or 2024. Not sure the Bronco will beat that!
I like the Lighting as well, but the range anxiety is stopping me at max 300 miles. I need almost 500 miles of range to get to the OBX for beach ORV use, charging 1-2 times along the way. I've seen 3 chargers in the northern Outer Banks. EV pickups are great 4wd vehicles, I understand, because each wheel is independently driven with lots of torque, and should be excellent for daily beach use . . . If i start with a full charge (where?).

My guess on release is that both vehicles will see increased production, like a bell curve into 2022 and 2023, but the Bronco got its start in 2021 so may be ahead of the curve. What do you think the variables are? Chips and battery components?

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have two Lightning orders, 10 and 13 minutes from debut opening. One is for my father and one for me. I lost count of the times we wish we had one, for the normal hands on work we do around his house and mine. It will also be my commute vehicle. Currently, I have a Model Y that gets me from Lake Tahoe to Bay Area, twice a month. When it sits at home I only have it juiced up to 150 miles and that is enough for local driving. I don’t plan on towing. I will take possession of the Lighting and immediately sell my Model Y. My badlands is on a train at the moment and can’t wait. 😀

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Keep an eye on commodity prices, both raw materials and manufactured components. From what I see, and given the current demand for lithium, cobalt, copper, silicon, steel, aluminum etc., and the shortage of steel, semiconductors, plastics, glass - the list goes on - expect the price of manufactured goods to rise substantially in 22 and 23. Expect supply chains to be stretched and goods to be harder to obtain, meaning more demand than supply. You can guess what that means…

If I was interested in a BEV I’d be asking for price guarantees over anything else. If you can’t get those, be cognizant that your Lightning and/or Bronco will be more expensive than they will be in 21/22.

You may need to invest in a petrol or diesel-powered generator to charge your BEV if the push to add more intermittent power sources in your area continues. Grid instability is the inevitable result of this and we can all expect more frequent blackouts and brownouts. To me, ICEs still make more sense than BEVs, especially 1st-gen BEVs.

I’m not pessimistic, just realistic and a critical thinker. My take - get what you can in 21 or 22 to at least lock in a price, then wait and see how the future unfolds.s

As usual, just my .02
Sponsored