Sponsored

Lightning safety in non-metal-roof vehicles like Bronco?

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I go camping in my aluminum truck topper in the summer, and I don't worry about the (sometimes violent) thunderstorms we get up here in the mountains. In theory, the metal shell of the car body and truck topper should act like a Faraday cage if it was struck by lightning.

How is that going to work with a Bronco with a plastic MIC top or fiberglass MOD top?

I'm concerned you'll lose the Faraday effect and then your watery meatsack is fair game as a ground path for the lightning. Thoughts? Has anyone else seriously thought about this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

mootruck98

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It isn't the roof providing you protection, but the 4 rubber tires insulating the vehicle and yourself from being grounded.

Lightning is looking for the easiest path to ground. The insulation of the tires is the biggest factor. Less conductive material such as a mic roof actually helps as well.

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It isn't the roof providing you protection, but the 4 rubber tires insulating the vehicle and yourself from being grounded.

Lightning is looking for the easiest path to ground. The insulation of the tires is the biggest factor. Less conductive material such as a mic roof actually helps as well.
Sooo.. I should probably SAS

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
I go camping in my aluminum truck topper in the summer, and I don't worry about the (sometimes violent) thunderstorms we get up here in the mountains.

In theory, the metal shell of the car body and truck topper should act like a Faraday cage if it was struck by lightning. How is that going to work with a Bronco with a plastic MIC top or fiberglass MOD top?

I'm concerned you'll lose the Faraday effect and then your watery meatsack is fair game as a ground path for the lightning. Thoughts? Has anyone else seriously thought about this?
I've slept in a fabric tent with metal poles in thunderstorms and never worried about it.
Unless you are a diminutive person I don't know how you'd really stretch out in a new Bronco.

mootruck98

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

interesting question, I don't plan on finding out the answer though. But lightning in the mountains is something to keep in mind when finding a camp spot or even when hiking. As a kid hiking in Austria we had lightning strike our trail a couple hundred feet in front of us, quite a jarring event. An other time near the top of a mountain it struck the next mountainside over, we were quickly hiding in a cow barn until it passed. And once I took a shower during a lightning storm at my parents house in Germany, lightning struck somewhere near by and I got a light shock. Don't shower during lightning....

I think we would be safe, but with a plastic roof it certainly is no faraday cage. I've experienced some crazy storm in the Tahoe area in summer, so it's certainly something to be aware of.

Offroadrob

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 TRD PRO, 10 Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Nope, the lightning just went 2 miles or more through open air, it isn’t going to be stopped by the short gap between the car and the ground.

it’s the metal. The metal provides an easier path than you do, and that should be true of the metal frame.

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doesn't the MIC sit on the metal roll cage? It seems to me you are surround by steel, even with no top and no doors. I'm not sure I see the problem.

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The tiny sheet metal of a car roof makes no difference to lightning.

GiveItaTri

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The tires offer no protection from lightning. That is a myth. As stated above, the metal frame of the vehicle provides the protection. My parent's camper was struck by lightning while parked in their yard. You could see the spot on the rim where the lightning jumped right over the tire and into the ground. The lightning went through the metal frame and into the ground.
Sponsored