Sponsored

Lightning safety in non-metal-roof vehicles like Bronco?

Mustang GTA

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would just stay home. Jesus, ever heard of a convertible car? I'd worry more about keeping my camp kitchen clean.
Sponsored

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I should not be surprised at the number of “common sense experts” with no grasp of physics telling us the old wives tale about the rubber tires “helping,” and yet I am surprised.
"Lightning experts" always come out from the woodwork during these discussions. I deal with it literally every day. :ROFLMAO:

It's on full display in this thread. Love it.

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I should not be surprised at the number of “common sense experts” with no grasp of physics telling us the old wives tale about the rubber tires “helping,” and yet I am surprised.
You don't work for Lightning Eliminators, do you? :D

I'm no lightning expert, but I do design high voltage substations and their controls. They tend to take a lot of hits especially when they have 200ft microwave towers in them.

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold 😥), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I feel this type of question is on par with the stolen fender/ stolen doors questions. Could these things happen? Absolutely. Are they likely to happen? No.

Sponsored

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The tiny sheet metal of a car roof makes no difference to lightning.
Which is why Ford limited the number of cupholders. It is a proven fact that cupholders attract lightning. Need proof ? Every single vehicle hit by lightning in the past 20 years had cupholders. Look it up on the CDC website. So to protect people like the OP they had no choice but to reduce the number of cupholders.

Potatomafia

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Tahoe PPV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have been through nasty thunderstorms in convertibles and soft top Jeeps. I would be lying if the thought didn't cross my mind though.

But, like in a convertible, if the vehicle body didn't direct the current away from my fleshy, water filled meat bag, it suddenly wouldn't be my problem anymore 🤷‍♂️

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I go camping in my aluminum truck topper in the summer, and I don't worry about the (sometimes violent) thunderstorms we get up here in the mountains.

In theory, the metal shell of the car body and truck topper should act like a Faraday cage if it was struck by lightning. How is that going to work with a Bronco with a plastic MIC top or fiberglass MOD top?

I'm concerned you'll lose the Faraday effect and then your watery meatsack is fair game as a ground path for the lightning. Thoughts? Has anyone else seriously thought about this?
If you see lighting, just keep your speed at 88MPH.

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey guys,

I actually work lightning protection at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, AL.
Sorry not impressive.....now if you said you worked for SpaceX then well..................

:geek:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lightning. Probably the most important issue related to the 6G Bronco, and my first consideration when choosing a vehicle!

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thought Ive seen all the bizarre questions...but they just keep coming as we get more loopy waiting for our Broncos.

Not sure where you live but my house doesn’t have a metal roof. Man, just realized that my truck has a glass roof and my jeep and camper both have a soft top. Lets hope the 35” rubber on all 3 do their job.

Deleted member 13702

It isn't the roof providing you protection, but the 4 rubber tires insulating the vehicle and yourself from being grounded.

Lightning is looking for the easiest path to ground. The insulation of the tires is the biggest factor. Less conductive material such as a mic roof actually helps as well.
That’s actually incorrect, it’s the metal cage of the vehicle which acts like a faraday cage. Your tires have nothing to do with it.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I go camping in my aluminum truck topper in the summer, and I don't worry about the (sometimes violent) thunderstorms we get up here in the mountains.

In theory, the metal shell of the car body and truck topper should act like a Faraday cage if it was struck by lightning. How is that going to work with a Bronco with a plastic MIC top or fiberglass MOD top?

I'm concerned you'll lose the Faraday effect and then your watery meatsack is fair game as a ground path for the lightning. Thoughts? Has anyone else seriously thought about this?
Did not read entire thread. @North7 care to explain?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Did not read entire thread. @North7 care to explain?
A faraday cage is a metal enclosure that keeps electrical signals in or out, one example below. An aircraft is a type of faraday cage, the lighting hits the aluminum skin and travels to the tail or wingtips and leaves. On aircraft systems we design them to withstand very high lighting strikes as you still see some of the electrical energy occasionally come into the aircraft and travel down cable bundles damaging equipment if it is not protected. To make a faraday cage, any frame will do, covered by copper, steel or aluminum, solid or mesh. If you line your hard top, say with aluminum foil, in theory you will get some level of protection, not counting the windows,, to find out how much, see the video below. Of course if you do this you will earn the tinfoil hat award at the Bronco meetup.

Ford Bronco Lightning safety in non-metal-roof vehicles like Bronco? selection-010-500x500

Last edited: