Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are so many options and a lot of them are awesome, but too crazy expensive for me. I don't want to worry about banging up a $25K off-road trailer, or wonder if it will still be there when we get back from exploring away from camp. I saw a bunch of Tiger Moth trailers on a flat bed when we were coming home from Moab a couple Sundays ago. I really like them--just wish they had a simple, tight-wad version. I'm a minimalist at heart, so I don't crave all the luxurious add ons, bells and whistles, so this little DYI cargo trailer works really well for us.

The box measures 4 ft x 6 ft x 2.5 ft tall. The back opens up for a kitchen with a stove, cooking gear, etc. It has a 27 gallon water tank with a 12V pump for cooking, drinking, washing dishes, and showering. It's big enough to carry our tent, pads, chairs, sleeping bags, etc. I got the frame for free, so I've only spent around $1500 for the materials, wheels and tires. Loaded with water, gear, gas cans, it still weighs less than 1200 lbs and connects to my 4x4 with a LocknRoll hitch.

This my 2nd generation (the first gen was a simple box with a lid). I'm renting an off-road tear drop trailer from Escapod in June, so we can see whether or not we like sleeping in a box! If so, then my 3rd gen trailer will be built around a queen sized bed. If not, then it will be an improved version of what we have now, especially the suspension.

Trail Trailer.jpg
This is exactly what I have in mind when it comes to what I want out of a trailer, is there something like this in the market?? If not I would appreciate more pics of your 2nd gen

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm renting one of these in June for a 4 day weekend trip in SE Utah. They look really nice.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is exactly what I have in mind when it comes to what I want out of a trailer, is there something like this in the market?? If not I would appreciate more pics of your 2nd gen
I haven't come across anything this small and simple, which is one of the reasons I built it. Smittybilt's Scout trailer is the closest I've come across.

I'm not one to take a lot of pictures but my wife is, so I'll see what I can find. Google "DYI offroad camp trailers" and you'll find all kinds of ideas.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I haven't come across anything this small and simple, which is one of the reasons I built it. Smittybilt's Scout trailer is the closest I've come across.

I'm not one to take a lot of pictures but my wife is, so I'll see what I can find. Google "DYI offroad camp trailers" and you'll find all kinds of ideas.
The wife doesn't have any detailed pictures either. I'll pull it out of the garage this weekend and take some pictures.

Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tried looking at some lightweights... but every time we go the girlfriend will only look at 5th wheel stuff. Guess I should be in the market for a girlfriend instead of a camper. Lol

DETT

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Tried looking at some lightweights... but every time we go the girlfriend will only look at 5th wheel stuff. Guess I should be in the market for a girlfriend instead of a camper. Lol
Or a truck 😆

TXAG96

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Bullitt, '01 Boxster, '87 TBird Turbo Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Taxa tiger moth. Super light and almost all alum. They’re based in Houston Texas and are engineered by a former nasa engineer. they have four different trailers and all can be pulled by the bronco.

96D5890F-0D06-4CF1-8212-C42E6FC6CFFC.jpeg
NASA engineer but is charging Govt Contract pricing......ouch!

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm still planning on some pictures tomorrow, but here is a sketch of my camp trailer. It's built around the frame, which is a repurposed welding machine trailer. I used wood for the box for two reasons. One, because it's cheap and easy to work with. Second, it doesn't heat up and cook the contents nearly as much as steel would. Aluminum skin would be awesome but it's hard to work with and keep sealed, so I just coated it with epoxy paint. The chuck box is organized and designed around my cooking gear. It was a fun build.

Attachments

Sponsored

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
NASA engineer but is charging Govt Contract pricing......ouch!
I know what you mean. This is the best designed "tear drop" I've seen, but I just can't bring myself to drop $20K for one. I'm hoping that a few years from now there will be used units for sale (after the Covid-19 Pandemic is over and people start travelling again, instead of camping).

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm still planning on some pictures tomorrow, but here is a sketch of my camp trailer. It's built around the frame, which is a repurposed welding machine trailer. I used wood for the box for two reasons. One, because it's cheap and easy to work with. Second, it doesn't heat up and cook the contents nearly as much as steel would. Aluminum skin would be awesome but it's hard to work with and keep sealed, so I just coated it with epoxy paint. The chuck box is organized and designed around my cooking gear. It was a fun build.
Oh this is even better, thanks!

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
elantra, have dep on a badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in CO. First pic is the Tetons, second is Telluride, CO, third is Twin Lakes, CO and here is Sedona. All trips in the last few months.

862865CD-F29A-490F-93BB-3DDE0C8BCB6A.jpeg

E6C1409F-DD23-4A65-9286-AEFDC0A16792.jpeg

C3C24A02-09EE-4085-89F6-3CD188BC3E69.jpeg
OK, I need lat long for every location. Please and thank you! 😁

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We looked at several types of smaller campers and didn't really like what was available for the super high prices. I guess since COVID, camping has become super popular, so no used trailers are really available, either. We decided to get a huge tent that attaches to our pop-up canopy with a/c and some other similar features. We already have a portable a/c and air mattresses, so I guess we are ready to go glamping.
Sponsored