LoneStar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The present rated towing capacity of 3,500 lbs (yes, it may go higher for certain model/options) narrows the choices for a top-quality, overlanding camping trailer. There may be ideal, but not inexpensive products coming into market just in time, well suited for the BRONCO.

Have my eye on the OPUS Lite (https://www.opuscamper.us/lite/) arriving in September with a rugged chassis, independent suspension and articulated hitch.

The specs seem custom-tailored to the BRONCO:
  • Dry Weight: 2,380lbs
  • Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 3,527lbs
Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO OPUS Lite pic1.PNG

What other solutions do you have in mind? :unsure:
Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was looking into Hiker Trailers, https://www.hikertrailers.com/
There are a few brands that make some pretty extreme campers tho!

I will probably stick with my tent for now, but would love to get a small camper trailer like this.

Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO 1596124450672

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

John B+9

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 F-150, '13 Golf TDI, '21 GX460
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I was looking at the Airstream Basecamp yesterday : https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/basecamp/
I'm really interested in pulling an overland trailer so thanks for this thread. I've also been looking at the Basecamp, in "X" configuration for improved off-road characteristics. At Bronco's current 3,500 lb. towing capacity the 16-footer makes the most sense. Base trailer weight of 2,650 lbs leaves 850 lbs. useful load - stuff I don't have to carry in Bronco leaving room for the doggies.

However, would really like to tow the 20' if possible - more room for carrying stuff like bicycles, and once parked, a bit more room for several people to move around at the same time. But the 20-footer's empty weight of 3,400 lbs leaves almost no margin for useful load.

16' is not a show-stopper. Getting the Bronco to get outside anyway. But crossing fingers the tow package is a class III that bumps capacity to 4,500-5,000 lbs.

Here is the comparison of 16' and 20' Basecamp specs - https://www.airstream.com/travel-tr...s=basecamp--standard-16,basecamp--standard-20

ATLUTDFAN

First Edition
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Teardrop from Campinn is the way to go. Everything except the bathroom...
Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO A93E0837-F4EC-4AE2-BBCA-B87C51BE8EA9
Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO 18A3E7EC-D869-42F9-B423-70D992005C66

Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO C7469D83-1EC5-4ACF-905D-ED5D9B069376

SquatchLife

Badlands
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 15 F150 10F250 15Flex 70 Bronco 22
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's always the home made versions to consider. Our family of four loves this one, its easy on the pocket book, and I'm not afraid to drag it down rough trails. And yes, the Rubi in the pic will be replaced with a 6g and the trailer painted to match.

basecamper.jpg

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm using the old military M416 4x6 foot trailer as a general guideline for the chassis dimensions and building what I want up from there. I'll take my work laptop home one of these weekends and draw it up in CAD. Should be able to get all the materials cut and shaped myself. Already talked to one of our welders about handling that end of things. He does alright work I suppose.

Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO FB_IMG_1596055308640

Last edited:

Sponsored

jkburg

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2020/2022 ILX, 2017 RDX
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

WkndEpic

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's always the home made versions to consider. Our family of four loves this one, its easy on the pocket book, and I'm not afraid to drag it down rough trails. And yes, the Rubi in the pic will be replaced with a 6g and the trailer painted to match.

Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO FB_IMG_1596055308640
I plan to modify my overland setup when I purchase the Bronco. I'll be looking to pull an off-road trailer vs. attaching and loading up my current rig with the ever growing list of gear. Believe it or not, I'm running out of space in my Tacoma. I've looked at teardrop trailers but my family and I prefer sleeping in a RTT and the utility and space provided by an off-road trailer best fits our needs.

SquatchLife

Badlands
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 15 F150 10F250 15Flex 70 Bronco 22
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan to modify my overland setup when I purchase the Bronco. I'll be looking to pull an off-road trailer vs. attaching and loading up my current rig with the ever growing list of gear. Believe it or not, I'm running out of space in my Tacoma. I've looked at teardrop trailers but my family and I prefer sleeping in a RTT and the utility and space provided by an off-road trailer best fits our needs.
Agreed- leaving the camper at base camp and not carrying everything with you all day is the way to go. Even better when you get home everything stays packed and stored for the next trip.