Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So just wanted to come on and post a review of my lightweight rooftop tent. I was in the market for something I could use on the OEM roof rack without exceeding the suggested weight restrictions, and while I looked at the go fast superlite tent, of course they stopped selling them šŸ˜•

I found a company called Inspired Overland in the bay are, they make a rooftop tent that weighs in at 87lb, so I thought, perfect!

Cost was $1500, so I think a little pricier than the superlite? With shipping I think itā€™s an additional $500. We live close by so just went to a dealer and had it installed. We have taken it on two longer camping trips so far and here are my thoughts.

-two people fit fairly comfortably, but if you are taller than 6ā€™ youā€™ll likely not want to share the sleeping space. As it is Iā€™m 5ā€™4ā€ and my husband is just under 6ā€™ and we both fit comfortably.

-the tent stays warm at night with all panels closed and just the air vents open. We had a pretty well rated sleeping bag too, but at no point did I feel like we needed more heat. This was in an area in the fall that was probably dipping to low 40s at night. We will be going to Moab in the early spring and can report back with how it holds up in colder temps thenā€¦ā€¦

-super low profile, I think it looks pretty slick and out of the way, I donā€™t notice any noise or change in my gas mileage

-rain fly sucks, I already emailed them about this, the setup to hold up the rain fly is essentially useless and wonā€™t hold it up at allā€¦..

-it came with lots of pockets! Great for cell phones, garmin, lights, books, whatever

-came with ladder thatā€™s easy to stow

-mattress is fairly comfortable, I prefer the deepsleep mattress for comfort in the back of the Bronco, but as far as lightweight rooftops go I think the provided mattress is just fine. It also comes with an anti condensation mat underneath which was a nice touch.

-if I could change anything I would consider just upgrading the roof rack. While we never exceeded the static weight recommendation with the tent and two people, the OEM roof rack just feels slim at with just the two support bars. Iā€™d eventually like something with more crossbars but have yet to find what Iā€™m looking for.

Pics below from some of the trips we have taken with the tent. Feel free to ask any questions that I didnā€™t answer!

6A698EC5-F13D-4CFC-8F5D-146262BD243E.jpeg
7467337A-BDBF-4FF0-A827-7BE7629E6334.jpeg
1FABC63E-57FB-4B36-A68A-76099A518334.jpeg

28C6E0C4-9B61-400A-9EF2-A8C96224D5BB.jpeg
D16F4961-855B-4B6A-B5FB-7FD667DEC058.jpeg
Sponsored

JaxDiego

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Picked one of these up after SEMA, they had it on sale for 1299 shipped. Have yet to test it out other than opening it on the garage floor but it looks nice.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Kickit - You mentioned the roof rack itself seemed a bit "flimsy" - Have you considered just buying another cross bar?

Ford Bronco Lightweight rooftop tent RTT by Inspired Overland -- review & photos Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 3.35.03 PM

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the review! I've been meaning to start a thread to ask suggestions. I know nothing about rooftop tents, but would like to get one eventually. I'd like to get the roomiest one possible for the Bronco. If another crossbar is needed, that's fine. My wife and I don't weigh very much, so I'm not too concerned about the static weight, but of course I need to be able to drive with it on top.

If anyone else has other ideas, please chime in. Thanks!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Kickit - You mentioned the roof rack itself seemed a bit "flimsy" - Have you considered just buying another cross bar?

Ford Bronco Lightweight rooftop tent RTT by Inspired Overland -- review & photos Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 3.35.03 PM
Thanks for the review! I've been meaning to start a thread to ask suggestions. I know nothing about rooftop tents, but would like to get one eventually. I'd like to get the roomiest one possible for the Bronco. If another crossbar is needed, that's fine. My wife and I don't weigh very much, so I'm not too concerned about the static weight, but of course I need to be able to drive with it on top.

If anyone else has other ideas, please chime in. Thanks!

Ya know, I didnā€™t even know the extra single crossbar was an option but I would 100% consider this! Great idea friends! $200 seems kind of steep for it but Ford does have a way of screwing us over donā€™t they šŸ™„

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We will be going to Moab in the early spring and can report back with how it holds up in colder temps thenā€¦ā€¦
Are you going to go into Canyonlands? After seeing those roads it has become a bucket list item to take the Bronco and go camping down there.

Ford Bronco Lightweight rooftop tent RTT by Inspired Overland -- review & photos 20221006_095646

Ford Bronco Lightweight rooftop tent RTT by Inspired Overland -- review & photos 20221006_095802

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ya know, I didnā€™t even know the extra single crossbar was an option but I would 100% consider this! Great idea friends! $200 seems kind of steep for it but Ford does have a way of screwing us over donā€™t they šŸ™„
Iā€™m sure you can find it much cheaper with some sleuthing.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Are you going to go into Canyonlands? After seeing those roads it has become a bucket list item to take the Bronco and go camping down there.

Ford Bronco Lightweight rooftop tent RTT by Inspired Overland -- review & photos 20221006_095802

I'm going to Moab and Canyonlands memorial day week. Can't friggin' wait

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep we will be doing the white rim trail at the end of March. Canā€™t wait for those sweet views and starry nights!

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does adding any weight to these roof racks cause any added stress to these already delicate tops?

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I do thanks! Yes we're bummed our four legged child will not be joining us for the trip šŸ¤£
We are bringing our doggo while we are in the park and boarding him at Moab national bark, if youā€™re looking for a place for your pup to stay. We just plan on doing some hiking with him in Escalante (a very dog friendly national monument) on the way back from the Moab trip, just in case you wanted other options with your pup

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does adding any weight to these roof racks cause any added stress to these already delicate tops?
Not that Iā€™ve noticed as of yet šŸ˜¬
Sponsored