Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not knocking anyone, but I have a feeling that most of the attempts at coloring the MIC top are not going to end well. Just wait for the MOD top. You can paint it or vinyl it or anything else and it will work for sure. Also remember the guy that was on here that worked for Webesto said the MIC scratched just as easily and the scratches were noticeable. The Mod will last a long time if you add a clear or colored vinyl to it and it doesn't cost very much. I live in a tiny town and both shops told me about $800 or $16 a sq ft to cover the top. I am sure its is cheaper in bigger cities. I was going with the MIC top but I just don't think the "looks" are going to be able to be preserved for those that care about it.
Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This has been discussed at least two dozen times prior.
I do this myself and have posted accurate info in several prior threads.
Please refer to those.
-It is possible, is not more expensive than painting.
-The texture will be rough, but is also controllable to a certain extent with application methods.
-2 part urethane DIY liners would be the ONLY way to do it right. Roll-on shit is well, shit.
-Raptor makes a tintable version you can put a basecoat in and make it any color you want. I have only experience doing it in OD green, Desert Tan, and using the white Raptor they make. No fading on any of it several years now.
-Proper prep is key. If you slack on any of it, it will fail.
-Raptor kits over 3-4 Liters come with a gun designed for it.
-You can't spray it through a standard paint gun. Viscosity and size of the pieces of rubber/media in it prevent it from travelling through even a 2.2 size tip.
-Total cost to get it done should be less than $700-800 for a 4 door, $500-600 2 door. Anything more is you getting hosed.
-DIY expect to pay $300+ for materials(liner, hardner, masking paper, tape, pre-clean solvent, rags, tack rags, scotchbrite/sandpaper, gun cleaning solvent, drop cloths).
-You will have to set the cube up on a bed/body cart or a set of sawbucks with some sort of riser so you can coat the entire thing. More sawbucks for the panels.
-Do not coat any mating surfaces (where panels meet, where cube mounts to body). Paint those beforehand with some matte black.
-Cover ALL seals very well with tape.
-Or pay someone $ to just do it.,

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why? It is MIC to hide scratches. It is not* like the bed of a truck. IMO a hard pass on that, but if you want to do it, it is your Bronco.
The Webasto guy that used to post on here said the MIC too actually scratches extremely easily and does show scratches.

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Why not just Line-X the MIC top to make it black (or whatever color you want)? Sure, it will cost more, but wouldn’t it hold up better than a painted top? Honestly, I don’t know much about it, but it seems like a good idea for those who hate the gray MIC. Plus, you wouldn’t have to wait until late 2021. I would definitely consider doing this for the 2 door. Most pictures and reviews for Line-X on Jeep tops are really good. ?
This is exactly what I will be doing, not only to the top, but to the entire vehicle. It will be epic!!

Sponsored

OK_Hunter

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infinity g37
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm definitely considering line-x black for the mic top. Anyone know if it might add some extra sound deadening??

kje22kje

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 4Runner TRD Off Rd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm definitely considering line-x black for the mic top. Anyone know if it might add some extra sound deadening??
Interesting question. Hopefully someone chimes in with experience along those lines.

OP
OP
DEADBIRDS

DEADBIRDS

Wildtrak
First Name
Stretch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon XL
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It would have to help, at least a little. Right?

Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

JessD05

Badlands
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC suv
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome! I would never trust myself to apply it. I’ll happily pay a professional!
Agree. Did you read those amazon reviews from those at home applications? Lots of exterior plastic applications were left with streaks later after a rainy ? day.

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500 and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would like to see if anymore people have done Line-X on the hard tops.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why not just Line-X the MIC top to make it black (or whatever color you want)? Sure, it will cost more, but wouldn’t it hold up better than a painted top? Honestly, I don’t know much about it, but it seems like a good idea for those who hate the gray MIC. Plus, you wouldn’t have to wait until late 2021. I would definitely consider doing this for the 2 door. Most pictures and reviews for Line-X on Jeep tops are really good. ?
Don't do it. Once you go down that road, you are stuck with it, because that stuff sticks like grim death. And it doesn't look good. Also it can be abrasive, like you brush skin against the surface, and it scratches.

A while back I was looking at older Jeep TJs, and so many guys were painting the entire tub and tops with liner. You are stuck with it, you don't know what's going on underneath, and it can make repairs a pain. I walk away the minute I see a vehicle covered in liner, won't buy it.
Sponsored