Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My hope is that the '22 or '23 model year will have upgraded tie rods and/or steering rack..
Not if you don't get the specific parts, probably only the Raptor will have them , but who knows what Ford will decide
Sponsored

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kevin is a pretty great driver. Very intuitive. Spotting is always a good idea on technical runs, and having a good feel for your vehicle really helps. They have a great team between them and keeps them safe. If you are inexperienced, please listen to your spotter. It can save your vehicle, or your life. Awesome job Lite Brite!

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You're right, according to the conventional wisdom of the past. However, Ford has gone to great lengths to try to convince us that THIS implementation of IFS is above and beyond what we've seen in the past, as regards it's intended use, and what we should be able to expect as far as performance and robustness of the components. They have squarely placed it against the Wrangler in the market, and while they've officially conceded that it may not be *quite* as good as the Wrangler in suspension articulation, that it would make up for it in other ways. For the most part they have proven that out, with the exception of the ability of the components to withstand a commensurate level of use/abuse. Adding a lift and bigger tires is not a big ask. It's normal, and expected, in any vehicle expected to compete against the Wrangler.

Remember, this isn't a Toyota pickup, or an FJ Cruiser, or any other half-assed attempt at a multi-use vehicle that just happens to have 4 wheel drive variant. This is the BRONCO, and Ford has bent over backwards to convince us that it will be worthy of that name, even though it has IFS. They've gone out of their way to encourage us to modify it in any way reasonable, as they know that is one of the things that made the Wrangler wildly popular. And yes, that does extend to suspension and tire size. Hell they even molded "Lift Me, Baby!" into the wheel well liners:

242019072_1240731503071760_2203579702555971810_n.jpg

The weakness of the steering components is something that Ford probably failed to discover in their durability testing, as those who are breaking them are NOT using the vehicle's beyond what Ford implies they should be capable of. I'm not talking about Broncbuster and those 40's, I'm talking about the many folks who are breaking the steering racks and tie rods on 37's, on trails that are, yes, challenging, but not necessarily extreme. These are weak components, pure and simple. To give Ford a pass for that because those people are actually wheeling their Broncos and putting them to the test, is letting them off easy.

I'm guessing Ford did actually discover that weakness in their own testing, and that's why there's an upgraded rack and pinion available soon, which will presumably be used in the new Raptor Bronco. I'm guessing they discovered the weaknesses of the original components after it was already too late to change everything over before the 2021's went into production. But I would expect to see the beefier components become standard equipment on the higher trim levels, and anything with Sasquatch, at some point.
I think many of us would 99 our orders if the upgraded components were a factory option later in the year. While I don't plan to do any serious rock crawling, I plan to carry an emergency tie rod repair kit 'just in case'. Enough to get me to civilization for a proper front end alignment.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@LiteBrite thanks for pointing out the use of the driver side grab handle in the last video. I couldn't help but notice the driver of the other bronco grab the window frame and roof during a tricky down hill situation that made me cringe and think of Kevin's prior advice.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think it comes down to what you think is a reasonable expectation. I think it's reasonable to expect the components to hold up to 37's and moderate use, even with a 2.5-3" spacer lift. You don't. But apparently Ford agrees with me, as it seems like they're shipping the Raptor Bronco (which will have 37's according to reports) with beefier steering components. By the way, it's not that the steering geometry is flexed beyond it's intended range of motion when the steering rack breaks. It's that the larger tires are pushing against it with increased force, at an angle that is slightly out of phase with the factory operating angle. But suspensions are designed to move, it's reasonable for us to expect that they will hold up to a reasonable amount of use, even when we take Ford's advice and "Lift Me, Baby." I think that's a reasonable expectation. That you don't is fine. We're just going to have to disagree on that.
Even with the solid front axle, Jeep has lifting issues with stock components as well. I used to work with an ex-Ford engineer 15 years ago that was a Jeep owner. Lifted Jeeps had an annoying highway speed 'shimmy' caused by the geometry differences.

I think Sasquatch is a pretty good deal for what you get warrantied by the factory. I really think that the components were specc'd for the 33" Badlands, which has the same components except the .67" spacer on the Bilsteins. So the 35" 'Squatch is at the top end of the system's capability. 37s and above are mall crawlers without the Raptor components.

As I said above, I plan to carry a field repair kit for tie rods 'just in case'. Given that I don't plan to do crazy rock crawling, it's probably overkill. But that's me. If you have the proper tools, fixing a broken rod enough to get back to civilization isn't crazy complicated. I wonder what people think about Inner Tie Rod Removal Set (harborfreight.com) ?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lazerus

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Lifted Jeeps had an annoying highway speed 'shimmy' caused by the geometry differences.
It is still an issue now. Castor under 5.5 deg really causes the SFA to 'drift' at speed. Rubi's are marginal to start, having a taller suspension with the same lower control arms as the sport. When I put a rubi recon take off on my 2 door (2.5 inches of lift) I swapped in the longer LCA's to keep my castor +6 degrees. Still tracks straight at 80+mph...
Small changes can have big effects. The difference in the LCA lengths is only ~ 3/4 of an inch, but makes a huge difference in handling...

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It is still an issue now. Castor under 5.5 deg really causes the SFA to 'drift' at speed. Rubi's are marginal to start, having a taller suspension with the same lower control arms as the sport. When I put a rubi recon take off on my 2 door (2.5 inches of lift) I swapped in the longer LCA's to keep my castor +6 degrees. Still tracks straight at 80+mph...
Small changes can have big effects. The difference in the LCA lengths is only ~ 3/4 of an inch, but makes a huge difference in handling...
Shimmy is usually bad balanced or worn tires. I have a 3.5" lift and 37s with the adjustable control arms all around ( Metal Cloak). I set my caster to 6.5 degrees and added the fox steering 2.0 TS stabilizer and the thing rides and tracks great for a 2Dr on 37s. As you said the caster and properly torqued down track bar is huge. JLs also had a wander issue due to using an aluminum Sterring box that could flex. They did a TSB and replaced mine with a Steel one and solved that issue. Out Gladiator rides awesome. Biggest issue with Any SA rig is caster or worn components. I think the guy was dealing with crappy lifts. I have had many Jeeps and Zuks. Properly lifted they are good and easily Dailies. The Zuk runs into issues as the front leaf springs start to bow it changes the caster and you get Death wobble. I love Jeeps to be honest but I am not brand stuck. I would buy the new Jimny if it would be street legal in the states for trial rig 100%.

OP
OP
Lazerus

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Shimmy is usually bad balanced or worn tires. I have a 3.5" lift and 37s with the adjustable control arms all around ( Metal Cloak). I set my caster to 6.5 degrees and added the fox steering 2.0 TS stabilizer and the thing rides and tracks great for a 2Dr on 37s. As you said the caster and properly torqued down track bar is huge. JLs also had a wander issue due to using an aluminum Sterring box that could flex. They did a TSB and replaced mine with a Steel one and solved that issue. Out Gladiator rides awesome. Biggest issue with Any SA rig is caster or worn components. I think the guy was dealing with crappy lifts. I have had many Jeeps and Zuks. Properly lifted they are good and easily Dailies. The Zuk runs into issues as the front leaf springs start to bow it changes the caster and you get Death wobble. I love Jeeps to be honest but I am not brand stuck. I would buy the new Jimny if it would be street legal in the states for trial rig 100%.
Mine was built within the first few weeks after the 1st lockdown restart and came with the upgraded stearing box. I still had a horrible first few days where it drove skittish as hell - wouldn't hold a line and followed every groove in the road....only to discover (thank you forum advice!) the dealership had pumped all four tires up to 49 psi! No wonder it felt like driving on ice. Once it was set to a proper 36psi it's been great.
Like you I'm a 'car guy' before I'm a 'Jeep guy'. I love the idea of the Bronco and am glad to see it's starting out as a really capable platform...

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Only to discover (thank you forum advice!) the dealership had pumped all four tires up to 49 psi! No wonder it felt like driving on ice. Once it was set to a proper 36psi it's been great.
Too F-ing funny
This was literally my "First Mod" on my JT.

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Mine was built within the first few weeks after the 1st lockdown restart and came with the upgraded stearing box. I still had a horrible first few days where it drove skittish as hell - wouldn't hold a line and followed every groove in the road....only to discover (thank you forum advice!) the dealership had pumped all four tires up to 49 psi! No wonder it felt like driving on ice. Once it was set to a proper 36psi it's been great.
Like you I'm a 'car guy' before I'm a 'Jeep guy'. I love the idea of the Bronco and am glad to see it's starting out as a really capable platform...
Right? My 37s were aired up to 50psi from the tire shop. Forgot about that too.

Sponsored

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I get it, they have to set the tire bead, but why can't they drop the PSI to a normal amount after they do that. The good ones ask you and do do that.

@LiteBrite You guys ever thought of coming to Rausch Creek or AOAA in PA?

We do have some fun Black and Red Trails.

TroutHunter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 550
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very fun video to watch - I was totally captivated! Thanks for posting and keep them coming!

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I get it, they have to set the tire bead, but why can't they drop the PSI to a normal amount after they do that. The good ones ask you and do do that.

They have been to Rausch with the jeep.
Shows you how slick the rocks are on a dry day.

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

been there a few times. 😁

Enjoy. 🍻

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Aww damn, I never saw those. Now I have something to do this cold @$$ weekend.

OK @LiteBrite When are you guys coming back to PA? I was 4x4less in 2020. But back in an AiRocked TJ Rubicon now.
:ROFLMAO:
Sponsored