Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ryuk how do you think the 7 or 8's out west compare to the rausch rating system? Seems like vastly different terrain and types of moves. I felt challenged on the little bit of blue we did, I'm not sure about blacks and reds......
Sponsored

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It really depends where they are. I see some trails, which are rated a 7 or 8 and think to myself, damn that looks like an east coast blue. Why does it have such a high number rating, but then in other areas, 7-8s, like this video, have some really technical bowls and crazy Steep climbs or downhills and I completely agree with the difficulty rating.

For me, I think the East Coast, and our Blacks/Reds and the connecting trails are really tight with obstacle after obstacle, aka Rock Gardens, not as extreme as say Johnson Valley, but kind of a mini versions of that. Some of them, once you get in, you are committed for the long haul and if you break mid trail, it can be a bear to get out. I prefer a 2 door with a shorter wheelbase for this stuff. Less chance of being turtled, and easier to navigate around all the trees

The Midwest seems to really cater to longer wheelbases due to the Step formations and is more open around those obstacles. The crazy climbs up steps require some very smart driving to know when to crawl and when to punch it. The longer wheelbase keeps the vehicle less front to rear tippy. On the other side of that are some very steep down hill areas, which, as I've commented before, require a person to overcome their O-Shit meter and stay away from the brake pedal to allow the vehicle to roll, and not skid, or worse cause the front wheels to stop, grab traction and have the rear of the jeep somersault over the front.

On our east coast black/red trails, I think the articulation of a SFA is an advantage , especially when it comes to avoiding Body damage. There are loads of locations on the Black/red Trails at AOAA and RC, where you are off camber right next to a tree. If the Suspension can rise or fall with the terrain without taking the body with it, you can stay off those trees. If not, then the area at the top of the doors will take a beating. This is one of the reasons why I rarely, if ever, wheel with a hard top. It's way too easy to bust it up and the heavier weight affects COG. it's also why I love having AirBags instead of springs or Coilovers. I can always lean away from a tree, or lean into the uphill to reduce my COG.

Hopefully that was helpful without being too much to digest.

Last edited:

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just watched the one video and totally agree and missed 1 point of comparison.

East Coast, our rocks are slick and at RC and AOAA, tend to have nasty coal infused mud in between those rocks and the rocks will move. The line for a trail in 2022, will not necessary be the line that you took in 2021. Even the really big ones get displaced after hundreds of vehicles climb them.

The 2 times I've wheeled out west and mid west, I was blown away with the traction. Its like super glue in comparison.

@LitBrite Do you recognize this rock. 🤣
Ford Bronco Lite Brite Bronco Crawls Fawlty Towers 1642253751395

Ford Bronco Lite Brite Bronco Crawls Fawlty Towers 1642253784024

feeble

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1977 Cobra II Monroe Handler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

LiteBrite

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get it, they have to set the tire bead, but why can't they drop the PSI to a normal amount after they do that. The good ones ask you and do do that.

@LiteBrite You guys ever thought of coming to Rausch Creek or AOAA in PA?

We do have some fun Black and Red Trails.
We’ve been to both of those places. Super fun!

Sponsored

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We’ve been to both of those places. Super fun!
Love your stuff guys! Having fun and staying safe…… always the end goal. Thanks for doing it and explaining it in the videos, which is the thing most videos like this don’t do. 👍

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@LiteBrite after driving the 4dr up Faulty Towers, do you think a 2dr would be able to do those steeper sections with no issues?

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Say what you want. We can out drive you anytime anywhere in anything. Kisses
Major props on conquering that trail. The “Johnny’s Hot Tub” gave me the tight-cheeks just watching.

Very cool video and awesome information. I shared the video with some bud’s who were equally impressed. Good stuff!

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am in no way knowledgeable or experienced in such matters, but seems to me that everyone reporting steering and tie rod issues have been running with lifts, larger tires, etc.

I was under the impression it was understood that with IFS, any substantial lift was going to require other modifications to correct the geometry. To my inexperienced mind, that would involve adjusting the angles and lengths of components. Instead it seems like many are just deciding components need to be strengthened or reinforced, and then pushing them until something else breaks.

In other words, they are trying to upgrade an IFS vehicles as if it was SFA.

Am I way off base and confused?
That’s an outstanding observation. That’s also why I lie to myself about being cool with not having my Bronco, yet.

Let others do the lab work and report their results for me!
XD

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yea I get what you are saying. The rock stuff we have out here is a bit different. More like rock "gardens" and stuff. It sounds like you're talking more like slick rock perhaps, we have stuff that is somewhat similar but not a direct comparison. I'm about an hour away from Johnson Valley, and that terrain is pretty typical of most of the region I'm in, and trails with large ruts/holes. I've had some situations where the top layer of dirt is slick and I'm sliding backwards down, but if I'm in that, I'll grab reverse and I'll already be in 4 Low so, once the clutch is out, the wheels roll and I'm in control again. Then I'll try and find a better line.

I'm all for him abusing his ride so I can hopefully learn from his experience. My last few 4x4s have been IFS GMs so I guess I'm a little more used to the bit of care required with those kind of components.
Well, if you guys have super slick terrain out there, no one makes videos of it. I see a lot of derogatory comments about not going super slow, not being technical enough, and vid's with so much traction you can ride a sidewall with nothing under the tire many times.

See this vid, that stuff just doesn't work here much of the time, except maybe super light rigs (which especially built 4 dr's are not going to be, some may creep up to 6000)

See 13:05

Reactions: JPG

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There are loads of locations on the Black/red Trails at AOAA and RC, where you are off camber right next to a tree.
Is there any reason why jeeps guys at least (since they have been open top for a LONG time), don't design a "tree rail" along the upper door surface? I use the trees all the time to keep from rolling

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, if you guys have super slick terrain out there, no one makes videos of it. I see a lot of derogatory comments about not going super slow, not being technical enough, and vid's with so much traction you can ride a sidewall with nothing under the tire many times.

See this vid, that stuff just doesn't work here much of the time, except maybe super light rigs (which especially built 4 dr's are not going to be, some may creep up to 6000)
I've done quite a bit of offroading in IFS rigs. It just takes more... care. It is better in some instances but it does lack strength in stuff like rock crawling because of that wheel hop. What you feel is derogatory ptobably isn't meant that way. What people are trying to say is that there is a difference between being abusive and being aggressive. The broncbuster doesn't look like it's set up well for that slick rock out there. I'd wager it was mostly the tires. Just looking at that video there was a dude with a stock bronco that went further than a dude of 40s and 37s. A big reason is the driver.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I forgot the spot, but there was a point when he tried to go up something with the stock Bronco and it couldn't make it. So he backed off and the folks in the white Bronco tried and couldn't make it. Maybe I missed it but I really wanted to see if the stock Jeep could do it (or at least how far)

My point being watching every type of vehicle climb up everything doesn't really show as much difference as when one vehicle makes it in the other one doesn't.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've done quite a bit of offroading in IFS rigs. It just takes more... care. It is better in some instances but it does lack strength in stuff like rock crawling because of that wheel hop. What you feel is derogatory ptobably isn't meant that way. What people are trying to say is that there is a difference between being abusive and being aggressive. The broncbuster doesn't look like it's set up well for that slick rock out there. I'd wager it was mostly the tires. Just looking at that video there was a dude with a stock bronco that went further than a dude of 40s and 37s. A big reason is the driver.
I was ripped pretty hard from people on this board when I suggested that terrain near me is super slick. Comments like, "oh, I'm sure your wet terrain is so much different than ours".

What I've been trying to say is the "abuse" done to BB's rig, is entry level of what is needed to make the really hard stuff sometimes, unless you want to winch all day long.

I get that slow and steady works best out there, and that BB might do better with less throttle.
But would love to know the "slow, technical line", I was supposed to take here?

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/Northumberland OHV Park/10 DEC 2011/VID_20111210_112918.mp4
Sponsored