Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

UPDATE #2 9/8/22

Dropped off the Bronco on Tuesday AM for the repair. Now it is Thursday. I was told it would be ready late this afternoon or Friday.

Also confirmed the process has to take at least three days because of the time it takes for primer to set then for the adhesive to set.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with it taking a couple of days to do this repair.

It was annoying to get the rental extended and I did have to make a couple of calls to the dealership and eventually they had me call Ford to "fight" for another day of rental. It was eventually approved. I am going to end up paying some small amount for the rental.

Anyone you talk to will be confused that someone wants a rental for the amount of time it takes to do the repair so be prepared for that. If I had to pay for the full rental it would only end up being $120 or so but that seems rough for out of pocket for a recall repair.

UPDATE:

Ford only provides a rental for one day. But the repair may take a couple days if everything goes well and the glass doesn't break. FORD can authorize additional rental days AHEAD OF TIME.

So if you need a car during the repair, best practice is to see if the repair is being done in house or by a third party, make sure there are enough extra windshields in inventory in case yours breaks, and make sure the dealership gets pre-authorization from Ford for a multi-day rental.

RENTAL VEHICLES Dealers are pre-approved for up to 1 day for a rental vehicle. Follow Extended Service Plan (ESP) guidelines for dollar amounts. Rentals will only be reimbursed for the days the vehicle is at the dealership for part replacement. Prior approval for more than 1 rental days is required from the SSSC. Contact the SSSC via the SSSC Web Contact Site for consideration and approval if appropriate.

I called my dealership to schedule the windshield recall work. The person said it would take at least three days and first appointment is in September. I am fine with both of those things.

Problem was when I asked about a loaner. At first the rep seemed confused about the concept of a loaner and then claimed they do not do loaners for warranty work. I was then transferred to someone who says Ford will do a loaner for one day and that is it.

I have great communications with the dealership in person but not over the phone or email. I said I was sure there was a better process in place for this and I would stop by after work to speak with someone up the food chain. The rep then said she can ask Ford if they will extend the rental and will email me back.

I have had vehicles that had a recall and needed to stay at the dealership for a couple of days before. There was never a question that a loaner would be provided during the work.

I am sure I am not the first person to come across this. I tried searching and didn't find anything on point about this.

Can anyone confirm Ford only provides a loaner for one day and if not, point me to something I can show my dealer?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The last time I checked, loaner vehicles were at the discretion of the dealership. Typically mannequin or salesman's cars and is not a guaranteed service from Ford.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is directly from the recall. That said, dealers are not obligated to provide rental vehicles. Some choose to participate in the FCTP or FRAC programs, some work with the local Enterprise and some don't. Due to the overall lack of vehicles for dealers and rental companies, it may be difficult to find a vehicle that meets Ford rental reimbursement criteria. Most of these should take two days depending when they start on the repair. If the glass breaks, maybe longer if parts aren't available.

Yes it's a bad deal but so is the loaner situation. We have 12 just for service out most every day and we don't get reimbursement from Ford most of the time. We prioritize customers that purchased from us because of the demand.

RENTAL VEHICLES Dealers are pre-approved for up to 1 day for a rental vehicle. Follow Extended Service Plan (ESP) guidelines for dollar amounts. Rentals will only be reimbursed for the days the vehicle is at the dealership for part replacement. Prior approval for more than 1 rental days is required from the SSSC. Contact the SSSC via the SSSC Web Contact Site for consideration and approval if appropriate.

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Can anyone confirm Ford only provides a loaner for one day and if not, point me to something I can show my dealer?
Not all dealers even have a fleet of loaners. My medium sized dealer handles roughly 75 service appointments daily. We only have something like 20 new vehicles in inventory on our lot at the moment (we normally have hundreds). The thought of most dealers having “extra” cars sitting around to give/rent/loan each service customer daily is quite frankly laughable.

Not all recalls will even cover alternate transportation.

Like Flip said, this recall specifically allows for 1 single day of rental IF your dealer can find you one.

RENTAL/LOANER also means ALTERNATE transportation. but not necessarily “equivalent” transportation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thatspecialbeat

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is directly from the recall. That said, dealers are not obligated to provide rental vehicles. Some choose to participate in the FCTP or FRAC programs, some work with the local Enterprise and some don't. Due to the overall lack of vehicles for dealers and rental companies, it may be difficult to find a vehicle that meets Ford rental reimbursement criteria. Most of these should take two days depending when they start on the repair. If the glass breaks, maybe longer if parts aren't available.

Yes it's a bad deal but so is the loaner situation. We have 12 just for service out most every day and we don't get reimbursement from Ford most of the time. We prioritize customers that purchased from us because of the demand.

Thanks for this. Since you have the inside dealership info, do most people just accept this and go without a car or pay out of pocket to rent?

I can't go without a car for a day and for sure can't risk "if parts aren't available" indefinite time.

The rep I spoke with said she will check on Ford extending the loaner to cover the repair. I guess I will keep my Sept appointment and see how the repairs go with others. If they are getting them out in a day I can keep it, if people are being delayed I can just wait until there is a recall important enough to worry about and get it done then.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for this. Since you have the inside dealership info, do most people just accept this and go without a car or pay out of pocket to rent?

I can't go without a car for a day and for sure can't risk "if parts aren't available" indefinite time.

The rep I spoke with said she will check on Ford extending the loaner to cover the repair. I guess I will keep my Sept appointment and see how the repairs go with others. If they are getting them out in a day I can keep it, if people are being delayed I can just wait until there is a recall important enough to worry about and get it done then.
I don't know how she would "check" because if they have to extend, they have to contact the special support service center with reason for the extension, number of days, total cost, repair order number, line number, date, mileage, etc.

Did you purchase from this dealership? I guess that really doesn't matter if they don't have any rentals but I'd contact them again a month out from your appointment and try to get a commitment from them one way or another. In a pinch we will pull a used vehicle off the lot but we can't claim rental from Ford. If you can't make alternate arrangements and they can't provide a rental, cancel the appointment until they can. Most dealers do pick up and delivery or provide shuttle service but that only works well if it's a one day repair. Find out if the person you're speaking with is actually a service advisor and not someone taking appointments in their business development center. Get to an advisor or ask for the service manager and explain the situation. He/she may not have the answer you want but it sure beats showing up and them not having a ride set back for you. There are some factors going into this but it's not new and they should be able to give you a yes or no.

OP
OP
thatspecialbeat

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not all dealers even have a fleet of loaners. My medium sized dealer handles roughly 75 service appointments daily. We only have something like 20 new vehicles in inventory on our lot at the moment (we normally have hundreds). The thought of most dealers having “extra” cars sitting around to give/rent/loan each service customer daily is quite frankly laughable.

Not all recalls will even cover alternate transportation.

Like Flip said, this recall specifically allows for 1 single day of rental IF your dealer can find you one.

RENTAL/LOANER also means ALTERNATE transportation. but not necessarily “equivalent” transportation.
I would expect that a car company would cover the costs of a loaner if they issue a recall. Other companies do it. When I had a recall with a Subaru it was covered. I thought I was "moving up" to Ford.

Does Ford cover the dealers' costs for doing a recall repair?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also, find out if the dealer is actually doing the repair or if they're subletting it to a glass shop. I don't like the fact windshields are on back order right now and don't know what % of these are going to chip/crack/break coming out. If it was like the F150s a year ago, I'd bet 20-30% and if you're the unfortunate one, will be without bronco for awhile. Ask questions of the service people up front and make sure they have a plan for you if it does happen.

OP
OP
thatspecialbeat

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Also, find out if the dealer is actually doing the repair or if they're subletting it to a glass shop. I don't like the fact windshields are on back order right now and don't know what % of these are going to chip/crack/break coming out. If it was like the F150s a year ago, I'd bet 20-30% and if you're the unfortunate one, will be without bronco for awhile. Ask questions of the service people up front and make sure they have a plan for you if it does happen.
These are good questions.

I am sure my dealership will do whatever they can. They have been great.

I just have zero faith in Ford now and I am not going to wait until I get the call that the new windshield whatever is stuck on a boat off Long Beach and is going to take a month to arrive.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Heck if i was a recall and had a large crack or chio, i might try to do them around the same time

Sponsored

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I would expect that a car company would cover the costs of a loaner if they issue a recall. Other companies do it.

Does Ford cover the dealers' costs for doing a recall repair?
Ford does cover the cost of 1 day of RENTAL in this particular case.

& yes, Ford pays the dealership for the parts required and for a predetermined amount of technician’s time (in this case sublet glass shop and body shop labor) to perform the recall.

OP
OP
thatspecialbeat

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford does cover the cost of a RENTAL. Limited to 1 day only in this particular case.

& yes, Ford pays the dealership for any parts required and for the technician’s time (in this case sublet glass shop and body shop labor) to perform the recall.
Seems odd they would reimburse all of the dealerships' costs but not the owners'.

I hear a lot of people say things like "This is my 20th Ford . . . "

Do people who are more experienced buying with Ford know to negotiate full-duration loaner vehicles if there is a recall?

This is my first new Ford and I never even thought about it.

frdfan

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BB Sasquatch HPRM
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm curious as to why this recall to reinstall the windshield takes 3 days to complete. When a windshield is replaced due to breakage/chips, it can usually be in and out of a glass shop in a matter of hours...why is there such a huge time difference?

Deleted member 32220

I'm curious as to why this recall to reinstall the windshield takes 3 days to complete. When a windshield is replaced due to breakage/chips, it can usually be in and out of a glass shop in a matter of hours...why is there such a huge time difference?
When they cut/ grind through all of the seam sealer & paint below the urethane they will need to re seam seal it. “Cure time” urethane primer it. “Dries quickly”. Apply urethane and set the glass in. Urethane usually takes 24 hours for fast set. But don’t worry you will never see how they carved your windshield frame up. Providing their tools don’t gouge the paint around the recess of the frame. I have seen all of this on brand new vehicles, and somehow they think it’s acceptable…wait until it breaks then it’s a necessity, not an option.

OP
OP
thatspecialbeat

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

UPDATE #2 9/8/22

Dropped off the Bronco on Tuesday AM for the repair. Now it is Thursday. I was told it would be ready late this afternoon or Friday.

Also confirmed the process has to take at least three days because of the time it takes for primer to set then for the adhesive to set.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with it taking a couple of days to do this repair.

It was annoying to get the rental extended and I did have to make a couple of calls to the dealership and eventually they had me call Ford to "fight" for another day of rental. It was eventually approved. I am going to end up paying some small amount for the rental.

Anyone you talk to will be confused that someone wants a rental for the amount of time it takes to do the repair so be prepared for that. If I had to pay for the full rental it would only end up being $120 or so but that seems rough for out of pocket for a recall repair.
Sponsored