Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello All,

Has anyone taken or would anyone take a long trip without the hard top on their Bronco. Let’s say 1200 miles? With maybe just a mesh shade cover?

How did it go?

Would you or would you not do this? Why?
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, the wind and noise eventually gets tiring and a mesh top doesn’t offer much rain protection. I did 2.5hrs last week, it was not bad, but cold early in the AM.

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Even if I didn't live in the afternoon popup thunderstorm capital of Texas, that would be way too long in the turbulence and noise of topless driving for me.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2-3 hours max. The noise eventually wears you out. Or, grab some shooting muffs.

ATX_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've done about 5 hours without a top or doors. If the weather is good I love it. Just be sure to pack the sunscreen.

But yes, when you eventually stop your ears will be ringing from the wind noise.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mlcinema

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seems like a consensus here about the noise. Funny though, I didn’t even consider the noise issue. I guess that’s why I asked.

Thanks.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Grab a bestop and take a top with you! That’s the best part of the soft top imo. You can have reasonably quiet on freeway and drop the top when you get there. We did 2 hours a couple weekends ago full too removed. Oddly with the top off and windows up it’s not overly loud.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'd never do a long trip without at least shade but my hair is still fairly dark even in my advanced years. Direct sunlight makes my brain bake.

For me personally, I wouldn't take a long trip without the ability to button everything up. I've owned offroad trucks with soft tops and at least could make the cab and tools weather safe...maybe not the full bed. Noise was always an issue for me but the engine in mine always out weighed the wind so I used ear plugs for longer stints.

ferbm

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple SUVs, couple clunkers, one sweet ride.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you ride a motorcycle in a non-helmet law state? It is moderately better than that. I’m up for it, but the wife and kids get pummeled. I’ve thought about helicopter style coms headsets for the team to pop on so we can jam tunes, talk, etc while I get my top-down and doors off fix! Of course, they still disagree!

Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you ride a motorcycle in a non-helmet law state? It is moderately better than that. I’m up for it, but the wife and kids get pummeled. I’ve thought about helicopter style coms headsets for the team to pop on so we can jam tunes, talk, etc while I get my top-down and doors off fix! Of course, they still disagree!
unfortunately, those noise suppression cans are illegal for on-road use in most places

(i looked into them when i was considering buying a pinzguaer 6x6. those
are very loud at highway-ish speeds > 40 mph!)

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll leave the top off for a weekend or longer if there’s no rain in forecast but have only ventured maybe 50 miles from the hardtop at home. Wouldn’t road-trip without it.

OP
OP
mlcinema

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Grab a bestop and take a top with you! That’s the best part of the soft top imo. You can have reasonably quiet on freeway and drop the top when you get there. We did 2 hours a couple weekends ago full too removed. Oddly with the top off and windows up it’s not overly loud.
I’ve thought about a soft top, but it doesn’t fit my budget. But maybe it will if my Bronco takes another year to be built. 😅

OP
OP
mlcinema

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I do ride a motorcycle, but a helmet is required. Is the noise close to a jet ski? :LOL:

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So glad I got the soft top. I take it down and when it rains or the noise gets old I put it up in 2 minutes. :)
Sponsored