Sponsored

Looking for swing hitch opinions or experiences (Yakima BackSwing & Saris Swing Away)

tmandz

Big Bend
First Name
Trev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm expecting to take delivery of my 2 door non sas Big Bend within the next month or two and have been researching swing hitch options to be used along with a bike or ski rack. I've had the Kuat Pivot v2 (https://www.kuat.com/product/pivot-2/) on my mind for a while due to the 120 degree rotation, but inexplicably within the last few days/weeks, they have sold out everywhere and many places have them on backorder all the way until October. So I've shifted my focus to two comparable products, the Saris Swing Away (https://www.rei.com/product/193680/saris-swing-away-hitch-accessory) and the Yakima BackSwing (https://www.rei.com/product/129581/yakima-backswing-extension). Both open to 90 degrees and do similar things from what I can tell, and the Saris is slightly cheaper. Since I don't have a Bronco to test on, I'm wondering if anyone (especially those with a non-sasquatch tire on the tailgate) has one and I'm especially wondering if the tailgate is able to lock at the 90 degree detent point while either of these are also locked at their 90 degree position.
Sponsored

Lexo52

Big Bend
First Name
Arlexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I believe the saris is only passenger? Side so don't think it would work to good with the swing gate. I'm also looking for a kuat and have been hoping one pops up on fb market place. Refuse to pay 500 for the Yakima one. Also rocky mountain has a swing out but is built with a rack already on it.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Everything is just a really short supply right now. Personally I think it's Kuat Pivot v2 or bust.

I would just order the pivot, and the meantime deal with it.

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got my name on a Kuat Pivot that my bike shop says should be in around March 24th. I could have ordered on Amazon at the time but prefer to support my local shop and I'm okay to wait a few weeks. I did consider ordering an extension from 1-UP so that I would be able to use my bike rack a little sooner and also give me options for those times when I might not need/want a swing away. Ultimately decided there's no reason to spend the extra $70 when the Kuat just does it all.

I'm in agreement with @da_jokker - it just seems that the Kuat is the best choice.

robertccribb

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So here is a fun little tidbit. I have the Thule Swing Away. Loved it on my Jeep! I use a Thule T2 bike rack that attaches to the Swing Away. Again this worked great on the Jeep. However with the Badlands Bronco you can not pull the pin on the Swing Away the tire gets in the way.... The factory hitch is tucked further und the bumper and the tire is wider. Not sure if anyone has had this issue. If you have had that and have a work around please let me know!!

Sponsored

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Be sure and look at the RakAttach from 1up as well. https://www.1up-usa.com/product/rakattach/

I like the Kuat Pivot just a tiny bit more, but since the Kuat currently isn't available this may be the best bet.

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe the saris is only passenger? Side so don't think it would work to good with the swing gate. I'm also looking for a kuat and have been hoping one pops up on fb market place. Refuse to pay 500 for the Yakima one. Also rocky mountain has a swing out but is built with a rack already on it.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ier-options-for-2021-bronco.2317/post-1615588

I have no idea if the company recommends against this... but just turn the saris upside down :D

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have an older version of the Yakima one on my Bronco now (Yakima fullswing hitch rack). The swinging function works great, I can deff open the tailgate to at least 90° maybe even more. I also have a non sas setup and one thing I discovered with the Yakima is I needed a hitch extender that also has drop such as the Thule hitch extender or the Kuat hitch extender. A straight hitch extender such as the Yakima straight shot would not allow the tailgate to clear one of the adjusting knobs on the swingarm. It looks like the new design in your link has a similar adjusting knob to my older version that may also get in the way if you don't drop the hitch down another inch or so with your extender. Just something to think about. The swing adapter is HEAVY which kind of sucks. Honestly if my roof mounted carrier clears my garage door after I put a roof rack on I'll probably just carry bikes up top so I don't have to keep swapping out my trailer hitch.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the Kuat v2 and it was fantastic on our 3000 mile road trip back in July. It will seing to 90 and then to 115 or so, completely clears tailgate with the basket i have. Locks in solid and no sway. I was originally going to go with tge driver side swing but the passenger swing works just fine
Sponsored