Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yesterday I went to go test drive a Ranger to get a feel for the 2.3L, and noticed a Toyota dealership across the road. I stopped over and was window shopping when I noticed there was a Tacoma with a manual.

2020 Tacoma TRD Pro, 3.5L V6, with their 6-speed manual transmission. Full size cab with the 5 foot box. It drove way too nice (better than the ranger I should add), and I enjoyed it way too much. If anything, it did get me really excited about the Broncos 7-speed manual! I've driven a boring automatic commuter car for the last 5 years and can't wait to drive a 4wd manual again.

My saving grace is my wife is out of town and she would need to be there to discuss it, (at least that's what I told the sales associate). My wife loves Tacomas though so I'm really glad she wasn't there! I don't think I could've passed on it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well the Tacoma is a great truck. I have a 2019 that’s paid off and have no complaints. But I’m selling it for the Bronco, if that tells you anything.
The Tacoma is nice and boring. I’ve been waiting for something like a Wrangler but not from Fiat/Chrysler. Finally it’s here and the Tacoma is going to be gone.
Good luck with your choice. (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
BeerForMyHorses

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Love Tacoma trds. What color?
It was their metallic gray with blacked out decals (forget what they call that package). It looked sharp! A lot of upgraded accessories to it, almost as if someone added most of their build and price wish list. I'm still drooling thinking about it...

BeachShredder

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMG c63s, Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A Tacoma versus a Ranger is no comparison. It's why the US Gov't goes with Tacomas for their fleet vehicles. I lived in the Outback, Australia for a couple years and drove a Landcruiser. With temps getting up over 120F sometimes and the harsh terrain, it's what most people drive down under. Since then, I've owned 2 Tacomas, a 4Runner, and a Sequoia. The floor-boards will rust out of them far before the engine goes. They're just that good. Not to mention, they hold their value. Ford's got everyone in a trance waiting for the Bronco to come out...me included, but if that thing doesn't "feel" right when I sit in it, then I'll be looking at another TRD Pro without hesitation. Good luck!

Sponsored

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can’t go wrong with Toyota. Wouldn’t blame you with this long If a wait. This bronco is going to be pretty sweet though.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Buy what you like. My wife just picked up a 4Runner....i don't give a damn that people say it's stuck in the past....it's a damn nice truck.

But I hear you... A '97 Defender with reasonable mileage and a good price just popped up on my area. I'm trying hard not to go look at it. That's a heart buy, not a head buy

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Tacoma... Still debating on keeping or selling when I get the Bronco.

I love that truck.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yesterday I went to go test drive a Ranger to get a feel for the 2.3L, and noticed a Toyota dealership across the road. I stopped over and was window shopping when I noticed there was a Tacoma with a manual.

2020 Tacoma TRD Pro, 3.5L V6, with their 6-speed manual transmission. Full size cab with the 5 foot box. It drove way too nice (better than the ranger I should add), and I enjoyed it way too much. If anything, it did get me really excited about the Broncos 7-speed manual! I've driven a boring automatic commuter car for the last 5 years and can't wait to drive a 4wd manual again.

My saving grace is my wife is out of town and she would need to be there to discuss it, (at least that's what I told the sales associate). My wife loves Tacomas though so I'm really glad she wasn't there! I don't think I could've passed on it.
I hope the manual helps the drive train. My friend had a 2019 with the automatic. Driving around town is was simply unremarkable. No character to the drive whatsoever. On the highway, it was a nightmare. The transmission couldn't figure out where the hell it wanted to be. Driving on flat terrain, at a constant speed, it was constantly working itself into a stupor. Then when I actually wanted it to do something, like accelerate, it wouldn't respond at all. My friend ended up regearing to try to make the truck feel like it could get out of its own way, but in the end, it was the transmission fouling up a perfectly good driveline.

He sold it for a 2020 Ranger, and rarely doesn't have a grin on his face after a drive.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had an older Tacoma TRD for 12 years. Reliable for the most part.

the good - always started and ran well. JBL system was solid.

the bad - cloth interior was sub par.

Engine was noisy and had a tick from day one.

Interior plastic was low grade. Small piece broke in center console and I had to replace the whole console for $600.Passenger side window button broke.

Sheet metal was tin foil. Got caught in a bad hail storm. Wife Nissan’ Armada made it out unscathed. Tacoma looked like someone took a hammer to it all over.

frame was rust bucket. Actually so bad that they were forced to recall it.

the amazing thing was the truck was 12 years old and Toyota replaced the entire frame like new.
I traded it in 2 weeks after that.

the other huge positive is they do retain their value like that of a Jeep.

To be clear this was a 2007 model. mSRP was $32500 as a I recall. So they are still a great value. I assume they have made many improvements since then but I am just sharing myexperience.
Sponsored