First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love the fact that it is stock. No thousands spent on lights & heavy armor & heavy bumpers & tunig & crazy mods. Just some rock rails, 35s, and GO!
Yep! He even done it without 6 cupholders, 12 amber off road lights, a bullet shaped shorty antenna, or 37's!! ;)
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Healy proving all the haters that a stock Bronco on 35"s is all you need. If you lift/mod, you are on your own.

Every single tie rod/steering rack issue is due to lifts/37's/40's.
Well...I wouldn't say EVERY
Definitely not EVERY.
Absolutely, definitely not EVERY.

The guy I bailed out last weekend who broke a tie-rod was a stock BD Squatch. Another stock Squatch went through the obstacle before him and before that an OBX Squatch with a RC 3" spacer lift and 37's on -18 offset wheels went through with out issue (and it was driven by a girl!11!)

So yeah, your data is a bit flawed. Tie-rod failure is a combination of build, driver, line, skinny pedal and dumb luck. Oh, and who here is hating on a stock Bronco on 35's??? And what do you mean if you lift/mod you are on your own? If one is in need of help it doesn't matter what mod's they have or don't have, they need help.

Raptor Guy

Raptor
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Raptor | '11 FLHX | '02 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
That driver though. Balls of steel and has incredible skill. I would've rolled that bitch 6 times over!

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not speaking for Bigmeats but yes. Offset wheels, wheel spacers, etc. yes it does. Folks have gotten away with that for years on jeeps and broncos because of solid front axles, which is no issue on those. How many FJ do we see running wide? Few if any for a good reason.
Except they really haven't. Lots of steering box failures on the JL's in the first few years until they redesigned a more robust unit. They also had to switch the steering knuckles from aluminum to cast Iron because I'm of excessive failure rates. I'd suspect the Broncos HD rack and beefier tie rods are going to make their way to more trims in the future. SFA, IFS, doesn't matter, a lift and bigger tires should always be accompanied with the appropriate steering upgrades. The first upgrade I did on my TJ was a heavy duty steering kit, then a lift and 35's.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That driver though. Balls of steel and has incredible skill. I would've rolled that bitch 6 times over!
I'm almost more impressed with him when he took on the Rubicon trail in that other video from last year. The Rubicon is literally in my backyard and I see people hacking it up all the time. He drives so smooth through sections that most guys end up just hammering through or bypassing.

Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Except they really haven't. Lots of steering box failures on the JL's in the first few years until they redesigned a more robust unit. They also had to switch the steering knuckles from aluminum to cast Iron because I'm of excessive failure rates. I'd suspect the Broncos HD rack and beefier tie rods are going to make their way to more trims in the future. SFA, IFS, doesn't matter, a lift and bigger tires should always be accompanied with the appropriate steering upgrades. The first upgrade I did on my TJ was a heavy duty steering kit, then a lift and 35's.
None of this discussion in this thread is about steering boxes and knuckles though lol. Lots of early broncos out there with Dana 44 fronts, 37" or larger still running stock steering. Bump up to the Dana 60 axles and hydraulic ram assist is common.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm almost more impressed with him when he took on the Rubicon trail in that other video from last year. The Rubicon is literally in my backyard and I see people hacking it up all the time. He drives so smooth through sections that most guys end up just hammering through or bypassing.
Yeah if I remember that was with a non sasquatch Badlands on 33s.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

OK fine, but. I did Pritchet Canyon in a stock '86 Bronco II, auto, and P195/75x15 in about 1989 with no spotter. In fact never saw anyone all day so no witnesses except my wife.. Granted, in a downward direction, so gravity was my friend. At one point (I'm sure the obstacle has a name) I explained to my wife how at different points one wheel or another was going to come up off the ground and I wanted a picture at each of those points. At the first drop, when the right rear came up, she turned and ran, so no pictures.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I driven Pritchett before in a Vehicross on 35s with 10mm tie rods also...no winch needed and had no lockers either end...just spectacular suspension travel. This course should be in the Fords off-roadeo event!!! And the fact that it's not, to me ,shows how un challenging the regular coarse I've seen are. But it's OK I realize most folks are NOT this hardcore.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Vehicross on 35s with 10mm tie rods also...
I had no idea they were that tiny. Bronco is 14mm, that's quite a bit stronger. If I get these F150 ones to work they're 16mm.

I always had a soft spot for the Vehicross but they're so hard to find.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

OK fine, but. I did Pritchet Canyon in a stock '86 Bronco II, auto, and P195/75x15 in about 1989 with no spotter. In fact never saw anyone all day so no witnesses except my wife.. Granted, in a downward direction, so gravity was my friend. At one point (I'm sure the obstacle has a name) I explained to my wife how at different points one wheel or another was going to come up off the ground and I wanted a picture at each of those points. At the first drop, when the right rear came up, she turned and ran, so no pictures.
Yeah too bad the 6g don't have the rear articulation the Bronco 2 had, mine was amazing back in the day.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I had no idea they were that tiny. Bronco is 14mm, that's quite a bit stronger. If I get these F150 ones to work they're 16mm.

I always had a soft spot for the Vehicross but they're so hard to find.
Hmm, that got me thinking 🤔...so I went outside and measured both...CORRECTION needed here! The little VX has the SAME size tie rods as my FE.

20220420_085316.jpg

20220420_085346.jpg

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah too bad the 6g don't have the rear articulation the Bronco 2 had, mine was amazing back in the day.
Yeah, and the TTB was underrated. Those long arms gave a lot of droop, but not so good on compression unless lifted, your old bump stop issue.

And I'm not really bragging here (well kinda) trails were a bit easier back then before everyone had to see how bad they could tear everything up. Most were pioneered by uranium miners driving surplus army Jeeps. And, if I'd had to turn around I woulda been screwed.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What did they have to do to keep it running with fuel door off and the fuel neck exposed? Seems like it would have shut down or at least thrown a code with the fuel door off.
There is no fuel cap and there are no sensors for the door. So it’s a non issue on this vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited: