Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The buffing sound between the motor and tranny… you have the 10 speed? There is a documented issue with the Ford/GM 10 speed that may do this. My old truck did it. I haven’t heard yours but may be something to look into.

Good luck

My Bronco smells like burnt hair when turned off and sitting in the sun :)
Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
All of your evidence of a leak could be in the picture. The dried brown splatters. The old orange coolant used to leave the brown residue that looks like dried mud.. I am not sure if the new green coolant does the same thing. It may be the connection at the coolant bottle. It looks like it's dripping from the coolant line.
Old coolant was green new is orange

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150 Raptor, 2021 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Always keep a bottle of Mountain Dew in the trunk just in case you're low on coolant.

BTW: It would be good to know which engine your Bronco is equipped with for helping others.

We haven't had this issue with this on our 2019 Ranger (2.3/10AT)
I have the 2.7.

All of your evidence of a leak could be in the picture. The dried brown splatters. The old orange coolant used to leave the brown residue that looks like dried mud.. I am not sure if the new green coolant does the same thing. It may be the connection at the coolant bottle. It looks like it's dripping from the coolant line.
It's definitely slow leaking around those hoses on the overlfow reservoir. You can see the streaks, and stains even on the felt fender liner. It's just very slow and the water evaporates out before it drops anywhere further.
My guess, from the photo, is the reservoir has an issue. Either a seam on the tank is not sealed or there is a crack somewhere above the current level.
I can explain for that...I know I'm a rarity but it's been off-road and it's first bath off the lot wasn't with a hose. You should have seen the engine bay afterwards before I cleaned it. I will wipe the mud and muddy water off the reservoir as a precaution if there is a leak.

The buffing sound between the motor and tranny… you have the 10 speed? There is a documented issue with the Ford/GM 10 speed that may do this. My old truck did it. I haven’t heard yours but may be something to look into.

Good luck

My Bronco smells like burnt hair when turned off and sitting in the sun :)
Yes, it's the 10 Speed. I just checked out some videos and lots of techs saying how noisey they are with examples. So I'll just chalk it up as normal.

Last edited:

94Bravo

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-150, 2014 Lexus IS350, 2008 Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Old coolant was green new is orange
Material: Motorcraft® Yellow Concentrated Antifreeze/Coolant / VC-13-G
Sorry, I should have said yellow. It has a green tint to it. Green coolant was very old 2003ish back. prior to the yellow(current color) the coolant was orange.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Material: Motorcraft® Yellow Concentrated Antifreeze/Coolant / VC-13-G
Sorry, I should have said yellow. It has a green tint to it. Green coolant was very old 2003ish back. prior to the yellow(current color) the coolant was orange.
Ford Bronco Low Coolant & Sweet Smell Outside Vehicle 1631134030109

Sponsored

94Bravo

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-150, 2014 Lexus IS350, 2008 Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Bwaggs83

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been smelling a faint but distinct sweet smell of coolant lately.

Decided to pop the hood this morning before driving and found this:

Ford Bronco Low Coolant & Sweet Smell Outside Vehicle 1631134030109

Haven't found any signs of leaking, I ordered up a bottle of Ford yellow to top it off and keep on hand. Will take it in once the hard top replacement comes in.

Issues so far:
  • Low coolant level & smell.
  • Oil capacity doesn't match materials (Takes 6, calls for 7).
  • Buffing noise in/around back of engine/transmission area.
  • Bad MIC top.
If it's anything like my VW Atlas that thing smells like coolant all the time but no leak found under pressure testing. I hope the 2.7 doesn't have the same issue.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

trace all of your hoses for the cooling system. there may be a chafed hose which is leaking when under pressure (hot). also you bring it to your local mechanic who can pressure check it and look for leaks..

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bottom Line - It's Still Under Warrantee.... If you find an issue, take it to your dealer... they should top off the coolant for free as well.....

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Bottom Line - It's Still Under Warrantee.... If you find an issue, take it to your dealer... they should top off the coolant for free as well.....
(Most) Service Departments are about as capable as a Jiffy Lube. The newness of the Bronco makes repairs even harder thanks to parts unavailability, unfamiliarity and service manual errors.

Sponsored

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Always keep a bottle of Mountain Dew in the trunk just in case you're low on coolant.
Actually just keep taking a lot of vitamin B12, then you can make your own...

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With us making runs at 110 degrees here this week, it could be just expansion of the coolant due to the high temps.

My '15 superduty really needs 2 min lines - "min summer" and "min winter" on the coolant bottle. When I check this time of year, if it's within an inch below the min, I don't even bother as it will just end up on the 101 somewhere if I top it off. Once thanksgiving hits, then I stand a pretty good chance of keeping it up to the 'min' line for a few months!

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Check all of your hose clamps. Early Raptors had an issue with the spring tension clamps not gripping the hose. Similar symptoms.

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just got back from the Moab Off-Roadeo, ALL of the Broncos there reeked of coolant like ours. So not sure what's going on but it's definitely a larger issue.
Sponsored