Sponsored

Lower control arm design issues?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 LT Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recently saw pics of the overland concept. I think the engineers at ford overlooked how the shock is mounted to the lower control arm. The lower shock eye mounts to the control arm via a bolt with machined flat ends. The bolts protrude through the lower control arm!! I can see the nuts getting messed up after a couple of wheeling trips...

Normally, the lower control arm has tabs welded/formed on the top face, I have not seen any ifs that is "designed to be an off-road vehicle", have this configuration.

Thoughts ?

Ford Bronco Lower control arm design issues? Screenshot_20201031-163437
Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 LT Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know they are testers, but I think the main components (suspension, engine) are finalized. I don't seem them redesigning the lower control arms (think of the entire supply chain building parts now). I saw some exposed shots a while ago and I saw the same two nuts of the lower shock mount protruding from the bottom of the LCA.

I feel like they could have designed the lca like every other IFS and have tabs on the top of the arm for the shock bolt to go through.
The went to a forged aluminum design to save weight for what?

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I recently saw pics of the overland concept. I think the engineers at ford overlooked how the shock is mounted to the lower control arm. The lower shock eye mounts to the control arm via a bolt with machined flat ends. The bolts protrude through the lower control arm!! I can see the nuts getting messed up after a couple of wheeling trips...

Normally, the lower control arm has tabs welded/formed on the top face, I have not seen any ifs that is "designed to be an off-road vehicle", have this configuration.

Thoughts ?

Ford Bronco Lower control arm design issues? Screenshot_20201031-163437
my thoughts are these are pre production rigs stricken with supplier delay issues of several types. these bolts, the lack of proper springs etc. are indication of the issues.

but I do agree those bolts ain’t right!

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
This was a prototype Sasquatch I believe. Couldn't imagine that would be left for production.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 LT Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I was just discussing this with a buddy and we think the bolts can be flipped. But now that I think of it, might want to NOT do that. Think of steering rack bolts, you put them in from the top so you can at least still steer if the nuts fall off. This would be the same situation. Wouldn't want the bolts to fall off and have your shock hit your CV or tie rod lol..

Sponsored

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I saw that my only thought was, "That can't be the final design..." We'll see.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My thought is there is a lot of stuff hanging down below the Bronco, front and back. We'll see if it's a problem.

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can confirm, the badlands non squatch at super celebration west had the same bolts in the LCA.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess all the armchair engineers know better then the "REAL" engineers how to design and build a vehicle!

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Prob just an artifact of it being a prototype

Last edited:

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess all the armchair engineers know better then the "REAL" engineers how to design and build a vehicle!

I'm sure it's engineered great. As someone who works on their own vehicle and has replaced/upgraded quite a bit of stuff, I see things I know will be a pain to work on after several years use. At some point those bolts will need cut off because of damage if you ever want to remove them. For most, it's a non issue.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 LT Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am a mech engineer myself and this design seems overlooked. They chose a forged design, so that is why the shock mount is the way it is (a traditional shock tab is impossible into to forge into this design since it is in a different orientation).

For those of us who will wheel these broncos, this will be a problem. My LCAs on my tacoma are all scratched up . Not because of negligence, but because that is what happens during adventures.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For the purpose of off roading and being able to repair ones own vehicle after predictable damage from engaging in said off roading? Probably.

That is why they ran their designs past so many subject matter experts and aftermarket suppliers after all. If they thought their "real" engineers knew what they were doing, that wouldn't have been necessary.